Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eversmoking artifacts  (Read 2057 times)

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eversmoking artifacts
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »

I recently had a giant fire breathing eyeless tick make its way up through a hole to the caverns that I missed plugging up in my shaft down to the magma forges.  Luckily, it only toasted one mason but made its way outside, where I locked it outside my airlock until I could get my meager defense force together.

The outside of the fort is now a field of scorched earth and feather trees (which seem to survive fire quite nicely).  Two puppies are permanently flashing red but don't seem to have suffered any wounds (a bug I'm assuming).  I'm hoping they grow up to be flashing red helldogs, which I will train for war and leave at my gates.  The tick died from one crossbow bolt but took out 3 marksdwarves with it.

The interesting part though, is that during it's initial assault, it set a good chunk of my furniture stockpile on fire, as well as my crafts.  The fire seems to have gone out, but smoke continues to billow from two areas, then subside to nothing and billow out again.

I noticed a few tiles of stone were flashing as hot, so I bulldozed those down but the smoke continues to billow out.  As far as I can tell, both smoke clouds are centered on artifacts that were in storage.

Currently I'm trying to confirm that this is what's happening (by assigning a stockpile to take the artifacts away and see if the smoke is centered on the new tile).

If it is, the question is: how do I weaponize/use/do science/create !fun! with my new eversmoking artifacts?

My first thought was to create a goblinite collection area, drop the artifacts in, then drop the raw goblinite in and wait for them to pass out and let my melee dwarves in for easy practice.  But there must be something more interesting to do with an unlimited source of smoke...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Eversmoking artifacts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »

Flammable artifacts will catch fire, but as artifacts cannot be destroyed, they will burn forever. That's what's happening to you.

I don't think that smoke will harm anyone, although it gives dwarves unhappy thoughts. It doesn't do anything else, as far as I know. Since the artifact is still actually burning, you can possibly drop it into a pit and dump burnable refuse onto it, creating an incinerator. Using the smoke for aesthetic purposes is not out of the question, of course.

You could use it as bait for thieves. Put it out in the open (beware of hauling it, since it's on fire. You may have to sacrifice a few dwarves for this purpose) and kobolds will try to steal it because of its high value, but catch fire and die before making any real progress.

Also, see this page for a trap involving burning artifacts.

The outside of the fort is now a field of scorched earth and feather trees (which seem to survive fire quite nicely).  Two puppies are permanently flashing red but don't seem to have suffered any wounds (a bug I'm assuming).

Trees will never burn, oddly. Also, the puppies are flashing red because they've suffered blood loss. If you look at their wound status (v -> w), they should be listed as "pale" or "faint". They'll recover after a while.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »

Trees will never burn, oddly. Also, the puppies are flashing red because they've suffered blood loss. If you look at their wound status (v -> w), they should be listed as "pale" or "faint". They'll recover after a while.
Creatures only flash red when on fire. The dogs probably got all the fat melted off them and are immune to heat damage now.

As for the artifact, I'd pour water on them. Failing that, drop rocks on them. FPS killer. Making humanoids choke to death on smoke's also a good application.

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:32:47 pm »

You could use it as bait for thieves. Put it out in the open (beware of hauling it, since it's on fire. You may have to sacrifice a few dwarves for this purpose) and kobolds will try to steal it because of its high value, but catch fire and die before making any real progress.

Good idea.  I'm currently trying to get them to move it just a half dozen or so tiles to the main path to the fort, but so far no one wants to touch it.

Funny thing with them is I did check for that, both now and originally when they were being chased mercilessly across the map for nearly a month before I killed the tick.  He'd launch fireball after fireball at them but I never once saw them wounded, and their description is missing the "fat is missing" stuff you'd expect to see (the tick himself burned off all his fat though).

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »

In curious instance of delayed ignition, both puppies finally ignited almost a half year after they were attacked.

A fire broke out in a stockpile and I couldn't figure out why (though I later noticed a puppy was missing).  Then I caught another one early as it broke out in the statue garden, and the only thing nearby was a !!xstray puppy corpsex!! {This object is showing some wear}.

DerNachbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »

Creatures only flash red when on fire. The dogs probably got all the fat melted off them and are immune to heat damage now.
[...]
[/quote]
I just had my vulcano tapper set on fire, because his little stunty dorfen legs were too short to carry him fast enough. He is incredibly skinny and heals incredibly quick, and hes been in that lavachannel for some weeks now, getting thirsty and hungry, throwing a tantrum about that, but otherwhise enjoying an extended magmabath... dese dorfs ^^

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:24:03 pm »

I've recently run into a similar situation involving a giant fireball shooting tick, except that it lit a zombie on fire which then stumbled into a cage trap. So now I have an endlessly burning zombie in a cage. My idea is to take it up to surface (I'm currently residing in the caverns) and use it to set all those bodies out there on fire. Then I'll leave it out there to regularly start wild fires.

Is there work around to get fire to move down or up z-levels? Also, I would assume that rain wouldn't put out a zombie burning in a cage or, for that matter, submerging. Is there any benefit to a burning zombie In a cage underwater? The water around it would evaporate right?

EDIT:Just read the link posted by DrKillPatient. My FPS is already too low; I'll just stick with wildfires.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:42:20 pm by dhoovr »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:23 pm »

The undergrowth in my first cavern was just set on fire by the appearance of Kosmza, the Muck of Pus - forgotten beast made of flame.  He has a body, three tails, and is gaunt in appearance.  And he has not moved since appearing on the edge four months ago.   Must be the lack of legs.  (He has a clear path to an "entrance" to my fort -where a spike-driven demise awaits.)

Might just leave him there and then dump goblins in the area for him to incinerate.  The flame-shooting lizard that took care of the last batch has already been killed.

Probably the best way to put out the artifacts is to submerge them in water - unless you want them placed for annoying nobles to use.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 01:38:33 am »

My bet would be that flaming beasts refuse to enter too hot squares they've created by their warmth.
I've once had a flaming titan along with necrosiege, zombies never tried to get near him, he threw fireballs at a pair of zombies he could see, military refused to execute kill order, shooters didn't help either, civies would run away sometimes getting hit wit fireball, even placing obsidian wall via dfhack and placing archers on it didn't make dorfs shoot at titan.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science