Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 136691 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Curiosity Mission: EVIDENCE OF WATER AND TASTY RADIATION
« Reply #795 on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:16 am »

Any more news? :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: EVIDENCE OF WATER AND TASTY RADIATION
« Reply #796 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:08 am »

Nope, Rover's just rolling around.

Currently roving to Mount Scharp, actually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: GOD THIS IS TAKING FOREVER
« Reply #797 on: June 06, 2013, 11:15:16 am »

Really? Last I heard, they went another way to look at some interesting rocks.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:06 am »

It occurs to me that if Curiosity's radioisotope lasts the expected 14 years, I will be 32 when the mission is over. Man.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:35 am »

It occurs to me that if Curiosity's radioisotope lasts the expected 14 years, I will be 32 when the mission is over. Man.
It can last far longer than that actually. They'll just need to watch their power consumption after the RTG expires. Not that it'll be much of a problem, because it'd be a miracle if all systems are still working after 14 years.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:34 am »

Opportunity is till going strong after around 10 years. So who know?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:50 am »

It can last far longer than that actually. They'll just need to watch their power consumption after the RTG expires. Not that it'll be much of a problem, because it'd be a miracle if all systems are still working after 14 years.
I wouldn't be so skeptical. Voyager 1 only has two defective systems, and it's on its 36th mission year. Our knowledge has only improved since then.

Spirit was lost because it got stuck and subsequently lost solar power due to dust, but Curiosity is a bit too large to get stuck and no Martian dust is going to impede radioactive decay.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

I wouldn't be so skeptical. Voyager 1 only has two defective systems, and it's on its 36th mission year. Our knowledge has only improved since then.

Spirit was lost because it got stuck and subsequently lost solar power due to dust, but Curiosity is a bit too large to get stuck and no Martian dust is going to impede radioactive decay.
Spirit lost a wheel and crashed on it's first day. Opportunity lost one of it's arm motors and some other stuff.  Curiosity already has a failed camera protection lens (meaning that when the dust comes, that camera is useless) and some software troubles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 06, 2013, 01:36:00 pm »

But Spirit went on for 7 years, 30 time the intended deployment time.  Curiosity is supposed to last 2 years, so who can tell how long it'll last?

Those things are built with redundancy and durability in mind.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

NASA components are build to last at least 3 times the intended operation time.  So well, probably 6 years, maybe more. No longer than 18, because then the RTG won't produce enough power for even basic system operations.

Spirit and Opportunity survived so long because of cleaning events, which were not accounted for, and turned out to occur quite often.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »

Could an additional arm be attached to a Spirit-like rover to periodically clean the dust from the solar panels? I am not very familiar with mars rovers besides their findings and general look.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »

Spirit and Opportunity survived so long because of cleaning events, which were not accounted for, and turned out to occur quite often.
Wait, who cleaned them o.O?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 06, 2013, 03:29:40 pm »

Could an additional arm be attached to a Spirit-like rover to periodically clean the dust from the solar panels? I am not very familiar with mars rovers besides their findings and general look.
The spirit only weights 185 kg. Adding a second arm would drive up the weight, and be a significant engineering problem. (For one, where do you store the arm when not cleaning. Can't leave it hanging over the panels.)

Then there's also the problem that we don't really know how to clean away martian dust. Pressurized air could work, but runs out.

Wait, who cleaned them o.O?
300 km/h winds have a tendency to blow dust around.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67