Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 136713 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: NASA covers up proof of alien civilization on Mars
« Reply #690 on: December 02, 2012, 12:39:48 am »

Assuming that actually pans out (heh, mining joke), I've gotta figure out how to get in on something like that. I bet the people doing the labor will be extremely well-paid.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:33 am »

Even better than deep sea welders!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 02, 2012, 12:42:09 am »

There's one big problem: Once we hit the payoff, platinum, palladium, and whatever else they bring back will hit post-scarcity and be almost worthless. On the other hand, we'll have a lot of it to sell.

Still, better than not having enough of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 02, 2012, 12:47:29 am »

Yes, but there will still be plenty of demand for the stuff. It's not like they're only used in jewelry or whatever.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 02, 2012, 12:53:36 am »

Yes, but the demand will never reach the supply. Just one asteroid will be worth 175 years of our current demand.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:26 am »

There's one big problem: Once we hit the payoff, platinum, palladium, and whatever else they bring back will hit post-scarcity and be almost worthless. On the other hand, we'll have a lot of it to sell.

Still, better than not having enough of it.
Hooray, another reason to move past an economic system where scarcity is considered worth preserving. :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 02, 2012, 12:56:27 am »

There are issues with having an economy where some things are post-scarcity and some things aren't. coughcoughinternetpiracycoughcough
No Gods, No Masters.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 02, 2012, 01:00:35 am »

Well, fortunatly/unfortunatly it's extremely unlikely that they are just going to release all of it into the market. It's highly likely that instead they will simply keep control of the entire supply, trickling it in rather than flooding, that way they make steady income and it maintains value.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:40 am »

There are issues with having an economy where some things are post-scarcity and some things aren't. coughcoughinternetpiracycoughcough
Yeah, I know. That's why the paradigm needs revision, because it's already the case that some things aren't scarce. The more situations where its profitable to fail at progress, the more obvious it becomes that an economy defined by scarcity is not sustainable. Kinda wish I were smart enough to figure out a workaround that wouldn't involve outcries of "But that's not fair!", but I think that at that point we're reaching beyond the scope of this thread and might want to migrate over to the Occupy one. >_____>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 02, 2012, 02:04:21 am »

I would predict that we'll stay mostly behind the scarcity barrier even if we have to enforce it until such a time that the majority of our resources are stably post-scarce. At that point we'll start dismantling the economy.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:22 am »

One small step for humanity, one giant leap until Star Trek is a reality  :o

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2012, 04:48:11 am »

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/04/good-morning-everyone-im-chris-lewicki-and-im-an-asteroid-miner-planetary-resources-announces-aste/

Who here has heard of this awesomery yet?

Caught one of their first live press releases on this, and put it up on Livestream. Really exciting stuff... orbital hydrogen fuel and oxygen plants would help build the infrastructure for future space travel.

In other awesomery, Mercury has water, and spectrometry says it has organic matter on it (carbon compounds, possible organisms, etc). And it's formed on ice deposits on our closest planet to the sun... friggin' crazy!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:52:23 am by Solifuge »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:39 am »

Not sure where you're going with this, but if the end result is space pirates, count me in. Yarr.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:39 am »

No one is afraid they'll crash that asteroid in Earth? Or the weapon potential of controlling a huge rock above our heads?

Sure it's really awesome... But a bit crazy too. I really need to write a sci-fi novel where a mining corp decide the best way to make money is actually to ransom Earth with a giant asteroid.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 02, 2012, 07:33:33 am »

I wonder how many miners will take the leap.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:35:18 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67