Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 136583 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 79 Hours Remain
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 04:54:52 pm »

So I just found out that Curiosity's neutron source and detector was provided to the mission by none other than the Russian Federal Space Agency.

The significance of that really speaks for itself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

This seems like a very dwarfy way to conduct science -- shoot first, analyze the charred remains later.

Now we just need to send a perpetual motion machine capable of spewing magma over the entire surface. FATW (Fuck all the worlds)
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 56 Hours Remain
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:10 pm »

Trajectory Correction Maneuver 5, which was intended to correct for errors accumulated in the trip from Earth to Mars, has been declared unnecessary and cancelled.

NASA shot a hunk of metal the size of an SUV half-way around the inner solar system to hit a target a few miles in diameter on another planet, and they got it right on the first try.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »

So I just found out that Curiosity's neutron source and detector was provided to the mission by none other than the Russian Federal Space Agency.

The signification doesn't seem to speak to me at all to be honest. Well, it says 'Russians are dwarfier than 'Merkins', but I doubt that is what you mean.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »

The signification doesn't seem to speak to me at all to be honest. Well, it says 'Russians are dwarfier than 'Merkins', but I doubt that is what you mean.
The significance is that space agencies generally work together without concern, even if their parent nations are on bad terms. It is a continuation on the tendency for space exploration to present a problem that people discard nationalistic tendencies to work on. Even during the Cold War there was some cooperation between NASA and the Soviet space program.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:12 pm »

I wonder if the entire operation will proceed smoothly.

IIRC, missions to Mars are quite prone to failures: numerous spacecraft were lost to sudden and unexplained mechanical failures, or simply due to radio signal suddenly going offline.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 53 Hours Remain
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

It isn't exactly a friendly environment.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 124 Hours Remain
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »

This is one of their more ridiculous landings.

This seems needlessly complicated.

Put it the middle of a balloon via elastic cords. Inflate the balloon by scooping up air during entry. Let it bounce.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »

Put it the middle of a balloon via elastic cords. Inflate the balloon by scooping up air during entry. Let it bounce.
Not dwarfy enough. Also, posting to watch.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 124 Hours Remain
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

That's actually the exact landing sequence that was used for Spirit. Curiosity is too big.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:50 pm »

It's the size of a large automobile, if I remember correctly.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 50 Hours Remain
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 09:55:51 pm »

There are now 50 hours remaining until Curiosity touches down.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

May smores Mars have cave live! or something. Shame there is no complex surface life on Mars.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Curiosity: 21 Hours Remain
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 03:19:14 am »

There are now under 24 hours remaining until Curiosity touches down.
No Gods, No Masters.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:33 am »

Shame there is no complex surface life on Mars.

Unless that's actually some of the best news ever.

Or maybe it's not so bad? Personally, I'm not inclined to believe the fact that we haven't yet been conquered contacted by aliens is necessarily evidence that there's a consistent, massive selection event somewhere between prokaryotes and Protoss, much less that it's likely to be ahead of us.

That could just be my optimism, though. If Curiosity lands on a cat, all bets are off.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 67