Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Fort Query  (Read 1244 times)

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
Human Fort Query
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:24:13 pm »

Hi guys,

Quick question - I know that to play as humans you need to change the CIV_CONTROLLABLE in the entity file to the human entry. Last time I tried this (in the last version) there were a bunch of issues regarding nobles, and some military and workshop things that didn't work out.

has this been fixed in the newest version - if not, what other changes would I need to make to the raws to make humans a viable playable race in fort mode? (with the same level of gameplay as playing as dwarves)

I did a quick search of the forums and the wiki but couldn't find anything,

You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: Human Fort Query
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »

It is *Dwarf fortress* that you are playing, if you want a "full human experience " you'll have to get your hands dirty and move down into the modding department. :P

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

Ohhright, yeah that's fair enough.

With my track record I'm more likely to cause more harm than good if I try modding - but I just thought I'd ask at least.

Dorf it is :D
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »

Or, simpl switch the CREATURE:DWARF of the mountain entity and the CREATURE:HUMAN of the plains entity. Sure, there's the issue of humans having steel and mountainhomes and dwarves having longland grass and towns, but meh.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:08 pm »

The entry for humans in the entity_standard file reveals that they have variable noble positions and less permitted jobs.  If you wanted to play Human Fortress, you might want to consider copying all the lines in the dwarven entry for...

1a) [PERMITTED_JOB:___]
1b) [PERMITTED_REACTION:___]
1c) [PERMITTED_BUILDING:___]
2) Any or all of the nobles positions (as you see fit)
3) Possibly the [GEM_SHAPE:___] entries as well, if you like a high variety of cuts.

Other than that, I can't see anything in their entity entry that would cause problems for them as a Fort-able race.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »

Replace the plains entity with this entity in your raws. Or just add it to the bottom of the list, but then you'll have twice as many humans in your world. You might have size problems with clothing produced in your fortress, I don't know.

I'm not sure how the home caravan will work with this file. It might not come until the second summer, when humans usually show up. If it shows up in the first year though, it'll be in the summer, not the autumn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)