Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1034655 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #4650 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:50 pm »

The biggest thing that I notice about anger is that while it clarifies and clears your sense of purpose in the short term, it tends to greatly reduce your ability to view the long term. As such you become more likely to do things that are harmful in the long run, simply because said things are more beneficial to your short term goals (notably to get back at whatever is causing the anger).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23:50 pm »

Anger only gives me desire for vindication, which gives the opposite of clarity of thought.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »

The biggest thing that I notice about anger is that while it clarifies and clears your sense of purpose in the short term, it tends to greatly reduce your ability to view the long term. As such you become more likely to do things that are harmful in the long run, simply because said things are more beneficial to your short term goals (notably to get back at whatever is causing the anger).
Yeah. Anger gets me motivated to do stuff, but said stuff is neither productive not sanctioned by the Geneva Convention.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: April 22, 2013, 11:29:27 pm »

Well said. I try not to get angry at all, as arguments can get one-sided without any proper logic. Not to mention that you often want to put your fist into a face.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:34 pm »

And since anger lowers you inhibitions about violence and clouds your thinking process, that is definitely Not Good.
I find that anger clears the clouds and gives me increased clarity.

I find that nothing does that better than thinking instead of just kinda doing things as I normally do.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: April 22, 2013, 11:48:49 pm »

If you're an emotionally disciplined person, anger can be harnessed pretty effectively for energy and focus without turning into actions you'll regret later.  Of course, it's only useful when there is a single clearly-identified, straightforward task that you can channel your focus into, and the stress of doing this is also really bad for you.  Still, it's useful sometimes.  I'm good enough at controlling my anger that I've developed the ability to do this more or less at will, and have done so a few times when it was the only way to work through what needed to be done.  It's a horrible and draining experience, but necessity is what it is.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:52:39 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: April 23, 2013, 02:52:42 am »

Well I used to break plenty of SNES controllers back in the day. :p

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: April 23, 2013, 03:07:56 am »

Well I used to break plenty of SNES controllers back in the day. :p
my brother had controller rage too, he once broke a xbox controller of mine, i punched him really hard for that, seriously, stop taking out your anger on my poor defenseless items.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: April 23, 2013, 03:11:41 am »

I had a NES. You all remember the NES? That grey box filled with mystery and pain?
Never broke a single controller...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: April 23, 2013, 03:17:40 am »

I had a NES. You all remember the NES? That grey box filled with mystery and pain?
Never broke a single controller...

Ooh.. The NES.. that brings memories of a certain rage-inducing game..
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.. The first game I had which I could rage over. :p
That third Mario game comes to mind as well.. with the tanuki suit, frog suit.. the boot.. Loved it..
And then a game which i sorely miss.. Startropics.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: April 23, 2013, 03:19:04 am »

I've thrown a few controllers, but never broken one.  If I really felt the need, I'd usually throw them into something soft, like the spot where I was just sitting.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: April 23, 2013, 03:21:09 am »

I have such fond memmories of that console... It is still at my parents place, to my knowledge in working order.
Beat Zelda 1 and 2 without any guide or walk through. Who even does that? Do you have any idea how many years that takes? How much pain it is beating the second Zelda 1 quest without a map? Games were hardcore, and then the internet happened.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: April 23, 2013, 03:32:23 am »

I used to use the greenguide to read up on hints for the games I played. They don't have that write-in section anymore. :-\
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:23 am »

Games were hardcore, and then the internet happened.

I'll quit most games before I'll resort to looking up a guide :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: April 23, 2013, 06:25:31 am »

Games were hardcore, and then the internet happened.

I'll quit most games before I'll resort to looking up a guide :P

Same here. Usually I don't even think of looking for help on the internet. I got plenty of games, no need to waste time playing super hard ones xD
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 510