Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1033561 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #4350 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »

Girl at school holding up a black water bottle: 'But how can it be water if it's black?'
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:23 am »

Black holes: They're basically just a really fucking heavy rock in space. So heavy that their gravity bends light. They're not actually holes, nor are they black.

So black holes are kinda like Mr. T?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4352 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:56 am »

They're actually not heavy, either (on a stellar scale). They're actually less heavy than the star that they came from. They're just really, really, really dense.
Don't you mean mass? Because in terms of weight they kinda hold the crown.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:28 am »

They're actually not heavy, either (on a stellar scale). They're actually less heavy than the star that they came from. They're just really, really, really dense.
Also the really massive ones don't even have to be all that dense.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:42 am »

Yeah, that's not true, though. They're (probably almost kinda, well theoretically at least) infinitely dense, as all mass is concentrated in a single point. The "black orb" is merely the event horizon, a region of space where even light cannot escape from (hence it's black). It's also not a "a heavy rock".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:16 am »

Yeah, that's not true, though. They're (probably almost kinda, well theoretically at least) infinitely dense, as all mass is concentrated in a single point. The "black orb" is merely the event horizon, a region of space where even light cannot escape from (hence it's black). It's also not a "a heavy rock".
I said have to be, not are.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:12 am »

Hawking radiation (which is light) escapes from black holes (though only through quantum shenanigans).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:14 am »

She:I'm not gonna be able to pass my CPR test because I have hiccups!
Me:Why dont you drink some water?
She:But then I'm gonna hiccup it back up!

What.

And then when I was talking to a guy about CPR she interrupted us with "Fish! I love fish, i've been drawing them all morning."
Dont know if insane, or just REALLY stupid.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:27 am »

Hawking radiation (which is light) escapes from black holes (though only through quantum shenanigans).

Hawking rad isn't light, it's particles.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:05 am »

:/ You're both correct. They're photon / anti-photon pairs. So it's light and particles at the same time. Specifically, Hawking Radiation is a type of Black-body radiation.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:38:21 am by Reelya »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4360 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

:/ You're both correct. They're photon / anti-photon pairs. So it's light and particles at the same time. Specifically, Hawking Radiation is a type of Black-body radiation.

Aren't all particles also light? de Broglie's equation says that any object with mass and velocity has a wavelength, though it's really small for heavy objects. Mind you, I only took AP Physics B. X3 No Quantum Physics 101.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »

Overheard a guy talking about how he broke up with his bisexual girlfriend because she was checking out other girls, oftentimes girls he himself was checking out. Said he would have preferred her to check out other guys, because he believed he was more attractive than any other guy she would have looked at.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4362 on: April 05, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »

Overheard a guy talking about how he broke up with his bisexual girlfriend because she was checking out other girls, oftentimes girls he himself was checking out. Said he would have preferred her to check out other guys, because he believed he was more attractive than any other guy she would have looked at.
Sounds like he was more angry that she was emasculating him than anything to do with jealousy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: April 05, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Dude. Duuuuude. Talked about missed opportunities.

My SO is bi, and RedKing is Totally Fine With This SituationTM:P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: April 05, 2013, 01:37:40 pm »

Aren't all particles also light? de Broglie's equation says that any object with mass and velocity has a wavelength, though it's really small for heavy objects. Mind you, I only took AP Physics B. X3 No Quantum Physics 101.

Technically, everything is in potentia as a waveform (which represents a kind of probability distribution) until you observe it, making the waveform collapse, giving whatever it is you are observing a particle like form depending on what bit of the probability distribution the wave collapsed into.

Buckyballs have been shown to have wave behavoiur, but anything larger than the Planck mass would have a wavelength shorter than the Planck length and its Schwarzchild radius, upon which point shenangians would occur.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 510