Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1033685 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3615 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »

People, I don't know about you, but derailing a thread then having an argument about that derail isn't good for having a thread stay open, and I want this thread to stay open.
A million times this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:44 pm »

Thread derails only die after they get sufficiently meta. As we’re now discussing an argument about a derail, this one is probably about to expire.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

While it's true that your personal opinion of a game may vary, the fact that the game has received positive reviews is a prime indicator of its quality (else we wouldn't bother making or looking at reviews in the first place.) While there certainly are outliers on either end (good games with bad reviews, and bad games with good reviews), there is an established correlation between popularity and quality and it holds true in the overwhelming majority of cases.
Perhaps we're using different definitions of "quality" here. Your definition seems to be stating it's quality can be determined by the total number of people it entertains; Mine is specific to me, as I don't believe my opinion as to whether it was "good" or not carries any weight to anyone else. My opinion isn't any better (or worse) than theirs.

So I could claim the game is "good" and you claim it "bad" and neither would be wrong. That is what subjective means, after all.

As for my pointing out a fallacy being a fallacy, Neo already explained that: it's only a fallacy when my pointing out a fallacy is used to discredit arguments that aren't supported by the original fallacy, which I don't believe I was doing.

As for exceptions to appealing to popularity, if we assume whether something is "good" or not is determined by popularity, of course using popularity isn't a fallacy. However, I don't believe that is what "good" is determined by, and nor do most art critics (whether you think such people are valid authorities on the subject is up to you, though). My definition is more personal; if I liked it, it was "good." Other people might have more objective qualifiers like "sophistication" but I don't think you have to limit yourself to their definitions either.
oh, for fuck's sake.

No, popularit does not equal quality, and vice versa.

No, the quality of something has nothing to do with popularity. Popularity is the result of clever marketing, quality is the result of components working well together, with none lacking or being left out.

Personal opinion has nothing to do with quality, it merely affects personal perception of the product.

No, just because the masses scream out for Twilight does not make it a good book. What makes it a good book is the quality of writing. And the quality of writing of Twilight is average at best, which makes it an average at best book. A popular one, but average nontheless.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »

Or not.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »

And yet Twilight has caused more enjoyment than scores of "superior" books. If the intent of the book is to cause enjoyment, then by that measure it has astoundingly high quality.

edit: I don't think I explained this right so I'm going to clarify it with an edit. You can't just say "quality" is one thing. It can be measured along a ton of different axes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:50:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:18 pm »

Maybe I should start quoting off topic posts form this thread in this thread...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »

What's everyone's opinion on global warming?

Wait, this isn't the IRC? M'bad.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:07 pm »

I like juice. Juice is good.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:13 pm »

Is that juice carbonated date juice?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 05, 2013, 05:17:09 pm »

Man, are we not allowed to have intelligent, non-flamey derails anymore? I don't know why everyone's suddenly so hostile to them.

No thread here has ever been locked just for getting off topic. They get locked for flaming or for people repeatedly ignoring Toady's warnings.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: February 05, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »

Man, are we not allowed to have intelligent, non-flamey derails anymore? I don't know why everyone's suddenly so hostile to them.

No thread here has ever been locked just for getting off topic. They get locked for flaming or for people repeatedly ignoring Toady's warnings.

This, with a great deal of emphasis. Part of the role of the GD megathreads is to provide a venue for all these random tangents of discussion, seeing as how they all have fairly broad guidelines. There's nothing wrong with a derail in a thread as general as this, provided it doesn't descend into mindless flaming. It'll end as soon as it runs out of steam or someone gets too heated, and in the meantime there isn't exactly a pressing, involved discussion of people saying stupid things that needs to be addressed, meta-quotes aside.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »

Some naive soul put up a 'Lotto 640Love' as it was called, for Valentine's day.

The list was COVERED in 'hipster+hipster'. Wat.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: February 06, 2013, 12:54:02 am »

Thread derails only die after they get sufficiently meta. As we’re now discussing an argument about a derail, this one is probably about to expire.
You know who also liked to derail threads? Hitler!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3628 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:16 am »

Hitler, derails and facestabbing.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: February 06, 2013, 01:01:01 am »

Hitler, derails and facestabbing.
Quick, someone get a Victorian person to write about this instead of Pride and Prejudice.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 510