Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to stop "Plant Seeds: ...." job cancellation spam?  (Read 4317 times)

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to stop "Plant Seeds: ...." job cancellation spam?
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »

Some idiot dorf put all the seed bags into one barrell even though the seed stockpile forbids them so now I get like 200 job cancellation announcements per minute. Any idea how I can solve this?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to stop "Plant Seeds: ...." job cancellation spam?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:14:03 pm »

Probably seeds are still allowed on one of your other food stockpiles.
Check them and forbid seeds. If they are only allowed on a seed stockpile with zero barrels the spam wil bearable.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »

I ended up waiting out the cancellation spam.  As your supply of seeds grow you get fewer cancellations.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »

not as long as youve got them in barrels

but yeah, even with bags you'll get cancelations
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:17:26 am »

Cheers, guess I'll just have to live with it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:05 pm »

If you want to minimize it, put another seed stockpile next to your main stockpile that doesn't have barrels, accepts from anywhere, and takes from things like stills and mills/querns. Link the intermediate to the main, set the main to only take from links, and disable barrels (though you should always do this for seeds). Having the intermediate stockpile take directly from stills/querns seems to prevent bags from being used in it, which is helpful. The haulers will only need to pick up the bags from the main for a couple seconds to scoop up all the seeds, keeping the cancellation spam to a minimum.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:13:46 am »

The new hauling update means that if a dwarf wants to collect 10 seeds he will take a barrel/bag an collect them all at the same time (creating a "vacuum" effect) which is of course a good thing but while the barrel/bag is in his hands farmers will not be able to access seeds in his arms so that may be a problem.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:23:56 am »

If you want to minimize it, put another seed stockpile next to your main stockpile that doesn't have barrels, accepts from anywhere, and takes from things like stills and mills/querns. Link the intermediate to the main, set the main to only take from links, and disable barrels (though you should always do this for seeds). Having the intermediate stockpile take directly from stills/querns seems to prevent bags from being used in it, which is helpful. The haulers will only need to pick up the bags from the main for a couple seconds to scoop up all the seeds, keeping the cancellation spam to a minimum.

That's pretty much it.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

The new hauling update means that if a dwarf wants to collect 10 seeds he will take a barrel/bag an collect them all at the same time (creating a "vacuum" effect) which is of course a good thing but while the barrel/bag is in his hands farmers will not be able to access seeds in his arms so that may be a problem.

I've noticed this problem even with other items.

My clothing production kept stopping for some reason. I could not figure out why I kept getting errors that no cloth was on hand even when I had 150+ cloth in the stocks menu.

It turned out that they would pick up 1 piece of cloth from a bin, and then a dwarf would take the rest bin with all of the rest of the cloth and go add in 1 piece of cloth to that. By doing this, the other 30ish pieces of cloth in the bin are now inaccessible because the dwarf is picking up 1 piece of cloth, causing jobs to be canceled due to no cloth available.

By simply getting rid of seed and cloth stockpiles I've solved a lot of these problems. No more hauling jobs, items are simply left in the workshop until they're used later. My cloth just sits in the loom until tailor needs to make some socks. Likewise seeds just sit in the still or farmer workshop until something needs planted. As the stills and farmer workshops are close to the farms this isn't a big deal. A few extra steps of hauling more than makes up for the continual job cancellation spam.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »

By simply getting rid of seed and cloth stockpiles I've solved a lot of these problems. No more hauling jobs, items are simply left in the workshop until they're used later. My cloth just sits in the loom until tailor needs to make some socks. Likewise seeds just sit in the still or farmer workshop until something needs planted. As the stills and farmer workshops are close to the farms this isn't a big deal. A few extra steps of hauling more than makes up for the continual job cancellation spam.

Sounds like a good alternative.  On that note, was workshop clutter changed for 34.11?  I notice it a lot less, even in formerly clutter-heavy things like the butcher's shop.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:50:14 pm »

I make heavy usage of minecarts for quantum stockpiling. Its quite easy to do and allows for extremely efficient workshop designs that use up a minimum of space.

Also bins aren't needed anymore.

I've noticed that sometimes dwarves will still put seeds into bags even if there are no stockpiles that accept seeds in the entire fortress, but for non-seed items removing the stockpile entirely seems to work.

If you want to stockpile it anyways, just use a minecart and a track stop that causes stored items to be dumped into a 1x1 stockpile. Dwarves will fill up your feeder stockpile, load the cart, and then the cart will quantum stockpile it all on the 1x1 stockpile. The track doesn't need to be very long at all.