Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Glitch or rare mood?  (Read 2008 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Glitch or rare mood?
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:15:42 am »

Well, I got a secretive mood, a Peasant that was my macedwarf, he made a steel breastplate, at a craftdwarfs workshop.
That was a while ago, and I dont got any screencaps, so sorry, is this a bug/glitch or is it just rare?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch or rare mood?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:24:15 am »

A steel breastplate at a craftdwarf's workshop!? Not what I'd expect, but then again, I don't know too much about this
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

wyrdness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:04:25 am »

Huh, I guess your dwarves take innovation to extremes. "Who needs a forge to make a breastplate? I shall just beat my metal bars in to shape with this... set of pliers! Rar!"

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:44:24 am »

I dont really care where my dwarfs make armour, if its an artifact, i will take it ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:50:00 am »

Huh, I guess your dwarves take innovation to extremes. "Who needs a forge to make a breastplate? I shall just beat my metal bars in to shape with this... set of pliers! Rar!"
Rock mugs make the best anvils ever!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:03:20 am »

Well, I got a secretive mood, a Peasant that was my macedwarf, he made a steel breastplate, at a craftdwarfs workshop.
That was a while ago, and I dont got any screencaps, so sorry, is this a bug/glitch or is it just rare?
As the old saying goes, "pics or it didn't happen" - since you didn't take any screencaps, unless you happen to have the announcements in your gamelog.txt file I'm going to say that it didn't happen and that you simply have a poor memory.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:05:36 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zerkuron1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:30:19 am »

It was the combined Power of Armoks desire for war and the omnipotence of a dwarfen beard!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:39:20 am »

A while ago, I disassembled and analyzed the code Strange Moods use to determine the artifact's item type (which is how I found the metal/bone helm artifact bugs Toady fixed in version 0.34.06), so I'm quite certain that the only possible way a moody dwarf could claim a Craftsdwarf's workshop and produce a Steel breastplate would be if it was a Bone Carver mood (which is a 1/3 chance for a completely untrained Peasant), the bones collected were from a modded creature that had bones made of steel, and Breastplates were modded to allow being made from bone (i.e. [BARRED]).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:38:17 am »

Or there was some glitch that caused a moody armorsmith to claim the wrong workshop. That's a simpler possibility.

If it were iron, then the explanation would be simple, but steel is a little odder. Are you sure it was steel and not iron, OP?

But yeah, this is a glitch. Check to see what modifications you've made to the game.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:47:06 am »

Or there was some glitch that caused a moody armorsmith to claim the wrong workshop. That's a simpler possibility.

If it were iron, then the explanation would be simple, but steel is a little odder. Are you sure it was steel and not iron, OP?

But yeah, this is a glitch. Check to see what modifications you've made to the game.
why would iron or steel make any difference? this doesn't happen, and glitches dont work like that

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

why would iron or steel make any difference? this doesn't happen, and glitches dont work like that
There is a specific mood material bug where iron items can be made out of constituents that don't even include iron

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:58:21 am »

is that still a thing? wasn't that bug introduced and fixed like, 2 years ago or something

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:06 am »

You can force the game to make artifacts out of iron by forbidding the base material (if there's more than one unit of the base material, you might need to forbid the two or three of them). Since the game doesn't know what to make the artifact out of any more, it defaults to iron. Iron is the first inorganic material in the raws, so presumably it's iron's position that makes it the chosen material. I did once kill a dwarf doing this -- whether it was because I absent-mindedly forbade everything or because it was a bone mood, I'm not sure. But I got an iron dress out of another mood, which was sweet.

For this to be the simpler possibility would require an explanation of why this has never happened before and how it's happening without other aspects of the OP's game getting screwed up as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »

if you still have the savegame you can go to look at all artifacts made and show it to us?

otherwise I'm going with "your memory acting up"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:49:19 pm »

Ive certainly had armor roll outta the craftsdwarf workshop moods, but as people are saying, only in bone.  I imagine thats a regular bonecrafting mood rather than armorer though my latest was a possession so cant check
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: [1] 2