Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military - dwarves not equipping new gear anymore? v34.11 / no arsenal?  (Read 1561 times)

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tried to cram it all in the title. I'm using the "specific XXX" option for almost everything right now. I bought a steel helm from a caravan and made a boatload of iron armor pieces. But my squad members just don't go into the stockpile to pick them up.

I read that the Arsenal dude was necessary before but I think he was taken out in the version I play (34.11).

Any idea why they are not equipping themselves? Do I have to unequip the old gear first and if so how? Is there an office than needs to be filled (74 dwarves atm)?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The concept of an arsenal dwarf hasn't been around for a long time.

Check your military Dwarves with (v)->(i). Are they not equipping any armor at all? Or are they only equipping some pieces?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:01:23 pm by Moonshadow101 »

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Season 1 - the dwarf equipped the iron axe and iron breastplate I bought from the first caravan. Everything worked fine.

Season 7 - Nobody is equipping anything new. They have their old gear but won't equip anything new.

What is the "Over Clothing" option? Can I wear an Iron gauntlet on top of a leather glove? does it mean something else? the option can change to "replace clothing" as well. Maybe that's the problem?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a specific 34.11 bug that prevents dwarves from equipping gauntlets, helms and boots because they conflict with the clothes they're already wearing.

If you hit "r" on the equipment screen, you'll toggle from "Over Clothing" to "Replace Clothing" for whatever dwarf you're looking at. If you go through each dwarf doing this, it will fix your issue. It will also put your dwarves in the rather odd position of being naked under their armor, or if they don't have enough armor assigned to them, totally naked in some spots. If you go through them all again and switch back to "Over Clothing," they'll actually put clothes back on under the armor, seemingly fixing the situation. I seem to recall having some problems with helms when doing this, though.

Good luck.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not a bug, its intended behavior to prevent dwarves from wearing six right socks, seven left, and three right boots.

Dwarves can only wear a certain amount on each body location (e.g., socks and shoes, or two pair of socks, but not two pair of shoes).  I believe the wiki has some !!science!! on how many of what layers can be worn at once.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One issue is that caps are a "shaped" item now - you cannot layer a helm on top of a cap like you used to be able to.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok just tried fiddling ith the "over clothing" and "replace clothing". My dwarf got buck naked but then equipped the armor finally. There was a bit of time before I had him equip any gloves  (he ran around with just a breastplate on) and by the time I got to it he had somehow re-equipped clothes in every slot. When I assigned some iron gauntlets he put those on and kept the rat leather gloves he had on before.

Not sure what happened or in what order but he has the steel helm on! I hope I can get him to wear clothes again too, since I seem to remember the protection is cumulative.

One issue is that caps are a "shaped" item now - you cannot layer a helm on top of a cap like you used to be able to.

The helm/cap was the issue. Getting him naked worked but it kinda sucks. I also want to get one of my miners to drop his pick so another dwarf can use it instead.

Can I tell one dwarf to remove one specific item from his inventory?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not a bug, its intended behavior to prevent dwarves from wearing six right socks, seven left, and three right boots.

Dwarves can only wear a certain amount on each body location (e.g., socks and shoes, or two pair of socks, but not two pair of shoes).  I believe the wiki has some !!science!! on how many of what layers can be worn at once.

It is obviously a byproduct of intended behavior, yes, but unless the military system in intended to be unbelievably stupid, I'm assuming that the actual "intended behavior" is for military Dwarves to remove non-armor and replace it with armor where appropriate. Rather than stubbornly insisting that their mittens are more important than the steel gauntlets that will protect their hands from being chopped off.