Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vermin breeding chamber  (Read 4562 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Vermin breeding chamber
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:53:47 pm »

So, I want to breed spiders for web generation (Brown recluse is probably the best). Since vermin spawn spontaenously in the right conditions, what would this conditions be?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin breeding chamber
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »

To get brown recluses you need to be present in a temperate broadleaf forest aboveground, and you need to have a lack of vermin killing creatures such as cats. Other then that all you can do is sit, wait, and hope for the best.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »

Yeah, be in the right biome, but then make some animal traps and get some of those useless rangers to work at trapping.  As you catch the spiders, pit them in an airlocked location (no cats!) with minimal foot traffic so your dwarfs don't constantly wander through and trash the webs.  Let the weaver in occasionally to gather them, and you should be fine.  Others may have specific suggestions for web farm design, but I haven't done any science on the subject myself.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »

useless rangers

Where the heck are you embarking that rangers aren't doing at least two excellent things for you?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:13:01 pm »

useless rangers

Where the heck are you embarking that rangers aren't doing at least two excellent things for you?
In my experience Rangers, in hostile lands at least, are only useful for two things:
1. Animal Training
2. Undead Generator/Killstealer/"But I wanted to CAPTURE that Grizzly Bear you idiot"/Doesnt-live-long-enough-to-be-marksdwarf (AKA Hunter)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »

Ahh.  To me they've generally meant food, raw materials, and a powerful marksdwarf reserve that trains itself without wasting bolts and time on wooden targets.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:39:58 am »

Sounds to me like you're going to try some science.  Fortunately, I've been meaning to do something similar, so here's a head start:

Add the following into the reaction_other file in the raws (pre-world gen)...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and add the appropriate [PERMITTED_REACTION:____] tags in the dwarf area of the entity_default file.  While I haven't personally tested this sort of reaction, I have heard a few times that living vermin can be created via reactions.  This should guarantee brown recluse spiders on any terrain, allowing you to ignore the variable of starting fort location.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 01:45:48 am »

If all else fails, there's another way to make vermin appear.

Make your chicken lay them instead of eggs.

Wait, I wonder if that can help with the fishing vermin issue or not...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:01:29 am »

Vermin tend to appear more often in food and refuse stockpiles; or maybe they're just attracted to them. Check those first.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:20:41 am »

Vermin tend to appear more often in food and refuse stockpiles; or maybe they're just attracted to them. Check those first.
They go for the food

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:35:29 am »

useless rangers

Calm desert, savage glacier, evil biome of any kind.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:20 am »

Sounds to me like you're going to try some science.  Fortunately, I've been meaning to do something similar, so here's a head start:

Add the following into the reaction_other file in the raws (pre-world gen)...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and add the appropriate [PERMITTED_REACTION:____] tags in the dwarf area of the entity_default file.  While I haven't personally tested this sort of reaction, I have heard a few times that living vermin can be created via reactions.  This should guarantee brown recluse spiders on any terrain, allowing you to ignore the variable of starting fort location.
Those reactions will never work due to a bug in DF - as specifically noted on the relevant wiki pages, vermin reactions do not recognize caste.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30:39 am »

Also, an airlocked room will not do you any good - vermin teleport. Someone had this idea a while back. Here's a link: 
Vermin teleport.  Sealing the room they're is isn't going to do any good.  And tame vermin not in a cage or trap will trigger jobs for your dwarves to try and catch them and put them in an animal trap, since dwarves don't think tame vermin should be let to run around free.  If the vermin are inaccessible, this will just result in job cancellation spam.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106938.msg3178636#msg3178636
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

Furthermore, the entire concept is misguided from the beginning because vermin do not breed - only large creatures do that.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 04:07:03 pm »

Indeed, they do not "Breed". However, If I could provide an ideal enviroment for them to spawn, as noted in the OP, it would be a way of "breeding" vermin. I figure simply boxing off a section of forest would do it for spiders, allowing them to generate without fear of death by cat.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: [1] 2