Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135039 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #750 on: January 13, 2015, 11:16:45 am »

sigh... can we agree its just impossible for zed to be moveing about a mile underwater
Even a hundred meters under--yes. And even lesser than that, yes. :P
Pressure and the interaction of a living force (sans presence of air in the body...as long as it can move, which is already against the laws of nature given the mechanisms of the body) doesn't show well in movies. I like that its offscreen. >_>

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:17 am »

The funny thing is, the book itself says it's impossible for the zombies to move at that depth, and even if they could they would get rotted down to nothing by seawater.
It's just a weird mystery no-one can figure out.
From a writing perspective, it's a device to make the zombies more of a threat. Because if they couldn't do that, you could just go to an island and avoid them forever which would seem like the obvious solution.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 13, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

From a writing perspective, it's a device to make the zombies more of a threat. Because if they couldn't do that, you could just go to an island and avoid them forever which would seem like the obvious solution.

Ohh yeah... having all of society collapse... No threat at all. :P

Though I don't know why this scenario MUST lead to everyone being dead.

Also food is a big deal.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 13, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

Maybe they float?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2015, 11:28:46 am »

Ohh yeah... having all of society collapse... No threat at all. :P

Though I don't know why this scenario MUST lead to everyone being dead.

Also food is a big deal.
Well, it's like Pandemic. The majority of humanity may be dead... but Madagascar still exists and don't have to deal with zombies at all.
I mean, it's a complete failure for humanity, would quickly result in supply problems, and would make a pretty interesting base for a story to jump off from (Though there's been a few stories focused on the idea of the last hospitable place after the apocalypse, Day of the Dead is a good example) but it isn't the kind of story Max Brooks was intending to write. So, the zombies needed a way to pop up anywhere he needed them to be. Hence, inexplicable walking across the ocean floor.

Maybe they float?
In the book some of them do. They either have life jackets on or they are in a stage of decomposition where gas allows them to float.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:33 am »

can nit picks that ruined video games go here too?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:09 am »

can nit picks that ruined video games go here too?

Sure.

In fact, it seems that I, somehow, thought of this in advance as the opening post is

What are your movies, games, or anything where a single small detail seems to derail your enjoyment?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2015, 12:08:02 pm »

oh............. didn't see that

The fact that the battlefield 4 singleplayer campaign was only like 4-5 missions and maybe 6 hours long ruined it
it was a good campaign as i was playing it but when it ended I couldn't play it again knowing it was that terrible

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »

I feel like that kind of discussion could fall under the gaming pet peeves thread in Other Games, but that's just my opinion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »

I feel like that kind of discussion could fall under the gaming pet peeves thread in Other Games, but that's just my opinion.

Gaming Pet Peeves is more about things games, in general, do that bug you.

While this is more about those tiny details, whether a flaw or not, that somehow ruins or severely weakens the whole experience of specific games, movies, shows, and what have you.

Though if you want to create a new thread "Nitpicks that ruined Games" you have my blessing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:16:44 pm by Neonivek »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2015, 04:56:01 pm »

Ya that was just a thing that ruined the game though, it's not a pet peeve (ok games having all together short campaigns is but) that games campaign was so short that I couldn't take it as a serious story.
It was pretty well done IMO but it's shortness just kinda killed how good it was, if they had made it what used to be the normal 12 or even better the old norm 48 or the even older norm like 2 weeks campaign it would have been so much more enjoyable and replay able

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 14, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »

Not exactly a movie, actually an animated miniseries (actually, several).

The "Marvel Anime" series, they all feature an heroic, unknown japanese character that borders on the Mary Sue, which befriends or earns the respect of the main Marvel protagonist (or becomes a love interest), and then dies tragically near the end (performing a heroic sacrifice, usually), which is a terrible blow to the hero, who then proceeds to deliver some sort of eulogy about how there's great people in Japan also, and other rubbish about honor and We're Not So Different After All and blech.

I don't oppose it on principle, but it's not very subtle. At least in the X-Men one they used an existing Marvel character called Armor (which still seems to be the POV character for the viewers) and doesn't die at the end, but still proves to be completely crucial to the solution of the plot for being a special snowflake somehow.

There's also always a tragic japanese villain, of course, but that's at least to be expected and not terrible IMO. I also hate the super ninja assassin with Wolverine-like regeneration powers that shows in half of the series as "honourable antivillain who then teams up temporarily and everyone thinks is supercool even tho he remorselessly killed innocent people close to the hero".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:07:56 pm by Sergius »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 14, 2015, 10:55:57 pm »

Posting to follow this fine thread now that I've read it.  Also:

Even if Yoda did anticipate Order 66 (which I don't think he did until it was given because the clones were programmed not to be aware of their traitorous tendency or something), by the time he was aware of the mass Jedi elimination task, what could he have done to stop it? Even if he did somehow realize that all the clones had been indoctrinated this way, and he also somehow rallied all the master Jedi from all the different fronts they were scattered across during that time in the war, what could he have changed?

In the Clone Wars cartoon...  Wow, actually I don't remember this nearly as clearly as I thought.  Not going to let that stop me though!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #763 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:44 am »

That was posted a long time ago but IIRC (that is, without looking back to actually see what I was replying to :P) someone was wondering why Yoda didn't anticipate Order 66 sooner since he's surrounded with clones and has brain powers, and my thoughts were that, even if he could have, it wouldn't have made much difference in the long term (and if you add in the cartoon then it totally didn't).

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:49 am »

Edge of Tomorrow when they're escaping by car. Why didn't they shoot him AS SOON as he got the location of the hive mind thing?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88