Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135088 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #720 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:11 am »

The only zombie movie that depicts a zombie outbreak properly, IMO, is 'Shawn of the Dead'
Spoiler alert/movie breakdown
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie films for that very reason. Also, it's hilarious.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 12, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »

Why? As far as I can tell, they're pretty similar, just better at piling up in gigantic zombie flesh ladders.

Superhuman strength, resilience and speed in the movie, next to whatever powers they had in the book (such as laughing at conservation of energy. HAH, laws of physics, what a joke.)
Don't forget they can survive on the ocean floor without being crushed into a paste but die from a baseball bat to the head.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 12, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »

Why? As far as I can tell, they're pretty similar, just better at piling up in gigantic zombie flesh ladders.

Superhuman strength, resilience and speed in the movie, next to whatever powers they had in the book (such as laughing at conservation of energy. HAH, laws of physics, what a joke.)
Don't forget they can survive on the ocean floor without being crushed into a paste but die from a baseball bat to the head.

Forget that... how about the fact that they can walk on the ocean floor ignoring boyancy, are immune to ocean currents, immune to heavy water salinization, immune to the freezing temperatures, immune to the lack of sunlight, and immune to the erosion and harsh underwater environment.

There are so many things that prevent a zombie from reasonably walking across the ocean floor that it is mind boggling.

Which would be fine if it wasn't meant to be "realistic".

This is a good place to criticize TV shows, right?

Yeah might as well.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 12, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »

Which would be fine if it wasn't meant to be "realistic".

From the zombie survival guide, also by brooks, featuring the same kind of zombies:

Too often, the undead have been said to possess superhuman powers: unusual strength, lightning speed, telepathy, etc. Stories range from zombies flying through the air to their scaling vertical surfaces like spiders. While these traits might make for fascinating drama, the individual ghoul is far from a magical, omnipotent demon. Never forget that the body of the undead is, for all practical purposes, human. What changes do occur are in the way this new, reanimated body is used by the now-infected brain. There is no way a zombie could fly unless the human it used to be could fly. The same goes for projecting force fields, teleportation, moving through solid objects, transforming into a wolf, breathing fire, or a variety of other mystical talents attributed to the walking dead. Imagine the human body as a tool kit. The solanumbulist brain has those tools, and only those tools, at its disposal. It cannot create new ones out of thin air. But it can, as you will see, use these tools in unconventional combinations, or push their durability beyond normal human limits.

So as it turns out, we already had the power to negate entropy within ourselves, we just had to believe.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 12, 2015, 02:46:53 pm »

Which beg the question: why don't they use zombies on threadmills as as source of green energy?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 12, 2015, 02:50:56 pm »

Zombie's unusual strength is actually quite human.

It is usually that zombies lack the limiters human beings have on their strength.

Mind you the reason human beings have those limiters is because using all of ones strength is a great way to destroy your muscles in a single go... but still.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 12, 2015, 02:56:16 pm »

Zombie's unusual strength is actually quite human.

It is usually that zombies lack the limiters human beings have on their strength.

Mind you the reason human beings have those limiters is because using all of ones strength is a great way to destroy your muscles in a single go... but still.

I'm sorry, but no. Them zombies display feats that are quite litteraly impossible. As in, survive pressures even a tank wouldn't. It's not just beyonf biology, it's beyond physics and common sense. Which I could live with, but then for the love of god, don't have the audacity to call them 'realistic zombies' or 'plausible scenarios'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:06 pm »

I am confused as to your actual objection as it seems entirely unrelated to what you referring to... only that you seem to have quoted me talking about how "unusual strength" is usually not unrealistic.

Then spoke about other features zombies have done that is unrealistic... unrelated to what I was talking about.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 12, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »

I am confused as to your actual objection as it seems entirely unrelated to what you referring to... only that you seem to have quoted me talking about how "unusual strength" is usually not unrealistic.

Then spoke about other features zombies have done that is unrealistic... unrelated to what I was talking about.

It was a general complaint, that they do impossible things that are then explained away as due to not having human limiters. But sure, if you want a specific example: even if you boost raw physical strength of a human to max, that doesn't mean that a muscle, once ripped, can still be used. Or that their jaw seems powerful enough to bite through just about anything. There's hard limits on what a human body, even when pushed to the max, can do, and these zombies happily waltz over that limit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 12, 2015, 03:38:06 pm »

Ohh yeah for sure.

Mind you... that is still enough strength to
-Bite off your fingers and break any bone in your hand
-Crush your throat whether by finger or bite
-Mangle your arms or legs
-Death Grip! nearly impossible to remove
-Do the sprint of a well trained athlete
-Break bones with single slams
-Gouge out eyes
-Bite through raw flesh

Human strength without its limiters is quite loose in what it can do.

It isn't like those weird psychics who use "100% of their brain when people only use 10%" which is not only factually incorrect... but seemingly gives them abilities FAR beyond anything the mind is capable of.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 12, 2015, 04:09:03 pm »

Out of all the issues they have, pressure ain't one. They don't need to breath, so water will fill their lungs and equalize the pressure.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 12, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »

And their cells will rupture, their bones will break, their muscles will tear, and on and on and on.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 12, 2015, 04:48:34 pm »

Ya a mile deep in the ocean is enough preasure to crush your whole body. It's not the outside water trying to get in, it's the tons and tons of water above you trying to flatten you out
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 12, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »

4000 meters deep is 400 atm, is about 40 530 000 Pa.

On a side note, people would not become pancakes, they'd shrivel up.

Anyway, compressive strength of bone is 1800 kgf/cm², or 176 580 000 N/m^2, so that's not going to break.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:09:16 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 12, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »

Uh, no? Sure, the pressure might cause all kind of problems, but it would crush you. Unless you have air at 1 atm inside your lungs there is nothing to crush.

If mean, fishes do all right, why do you think the human body would fail?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 88