Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Impire  (Read 18445 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Impire
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:45 am »

So I came across this today - http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/7/paradox-announces-deep-dark-devilish-strategy-game-impire

Game info:

SAN FRANCISCO — July 27, 2012 — Paradox Interactive today announced their intentions to unleash the full might of their new Impire, a game of strategy that challenges players to properly assess and allocate the evil within their black hearts. Taking place within the fan-favorite world of Majesty, players of Impire will be tasked with ruining the lands of Ardania for those fans by reviving the greatest threat the realm has ever known within a dungeon lair of their own design.

Run your Impire by defending against heroes invading a personalized demonic compound while also sending underlings to the surface to wreak chaos among those who call the land near your Impire home. Utilizing a vast array of minions, deadly traps, and a growing arsenal of wicked spells, players will guide the demon Báal-Abaddon to his rightful place atop the skulls of his mortal foes… just as soon as they can help him escape the body of a pathetic little imp.

Developed by Cyanide in Montreal, Impire tells the sordid tale of Báal-Abaddon, a once-mighty horror from the Bottomless Pit, who finds himself summoned by the incompetent sorcerer, Oscar van Fairweather, and trapped in the form of a laughable imp. Using their cunning and an array of devious tricks, players will help the demon lord break free, rebuild his proper hell-spawn body, and construct an impressive dungeon to form the seat of his new kingdom. Players will have to design, develop, and defend their demonic dungeon from would-be do-gooders in order to expand and triumph.

The game includes features like:

- User-designed dungeons filled with different room types and an assortment of deathtraps
- Minions of every shape and size to be leveled up and equipped with upgraded equipment
- A custom deck of magical item cards to be unlocked and built to suit any playing style
- The opportunity to squash pesky heroes beneath one’s hooves, and grind their souls into helpful dungeon-building resources
- A perilous campaign to be played in solo or co-op mode
- Many multi-player modes to confront and crush one’s so-called “friends”

Impire is slated for release on PC in Q1, 2013, so here’s hoping you’ve lived a full and satisfying life.

Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWa7klHqKqg&hd=1 - the small amount of gameplay this really does look like dungeon keeper 3 !!!

PLEASE GOD LET THEM DO THIS RIGHT!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:51:07 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! By paradox
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:44:57 am »

Gamespy article - http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/impire/1225560p1.html

Cautiously optimistic because it's Paradox. But after Dungeons I'm leery about getting my hopes up about anything being billed as "the next Dungeon Keeper." Thinking along that line sets up expectations that may not be met.

Still, always happy to see more Dungeon-based RTS's.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New dungeon keeper!! - Impire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:51:52 am »

Watching.

This game is in my interests. 
Also, I finally got Dungeons thanks to Steam Sales...  Not enough converting heroes to my cause by torture... nor inter-monster/hero hatepolitics.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:14 am »

Gamespy article - http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/impire/1225560p1.html

Cautiously optimistic because it's Paradox. But after Dungeons I'm leery about getting my hopes up about anything being billed as "the next Dungeon Keeper." Thinking along that line sets up expectations that may not be met.

Still, always happy to see more Dungeon-based RTS's.

Check out the trailer it looks promising and I think paradox might know where they went wrong on the last one
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:10:17 pm »

Holding the optimism away from the thread until we know more about it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:05 pm »

Cyanide Studios eh? The same guys who managed to charge full price for the essentially same game four times in a row? Well, I don't doubt they can do a good job. But how they handled Bloodbowl distinctly pissed me off.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »

I am annoyed everytime someone says "Next dungeon Keeper" because it NEVER is. It really never is... never even close.

Heck RIGHT NOW this doesn't look like dungeon keeper because I happen to have an ability called "I played dungeon keeper" and the name "Impire" as in "Empire" should give something away.

Yes I know I am being harsh but anyone who comes in here and says "NEW DUNGEON KEEPER!!" should come and give something that is the "New Dungeon Keeper" and not some game that has a few mechanics. The taste of dungeons leaves a ill taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:35:05 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:40:41 pm »

1.  Why can't a game like this be played straight?  It's always tongue in cheek.  Surely it's possible to make a serious dungeon keeper game without making it disturbingly evil.

2.  Why Ardania?  Did I miss something?  Majesty was a good game because it was fun and really original not because Ardania was a great setting that begs to be reused for all kinds of very unoriginal games.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

1.  Why can't a game like this be played straight?  It's always tongue in cheek.  Surely it's possible to make a serious dungeon keeper game without making it disturbingly evil.

Seconded. Sick of this cutesy fucking crap. DK might not have been dark or gritty, but at least it felt slightly more adult than virtually every other dungeon sim that has followed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:53:10 pm »

I think it's because video game designers are incapable of subtlety, and they're afraid if they play it straight it'll end up like Kane and Lynch, something really unpleasant.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:01 pm »

I still remember 'Holy Invasion of Privacy Batman'. Damn, I was sad when I lost my PSP. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Hmm. Well, we can hope this turns out well. I'm not that confident in Cyanide, personally. Blood Bowl is great fun, yes, but everything that they tried to add to it themselves was pretty much junk. The fun parts of that game are the fun parts of the board game, just made digital and animated.

So...we'll see.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:46 pm »

Well as far as the trailer goes it looks pretty much like DK with updated graphics.
The building hud worried me a little bit because it seems you will place entire rooms instead of designating room space but that's not a  deal breaker for me.

Also it seems you will be represented by a singular individual instead of the classic "heart" but then again... it worked in Evil Genious so it should work here as well.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »

Seconded. Sick of this cutesy fucking crap. DK might not have been dark or gritty, but at least it felt slightly more adult than virtually every other dungeon sim that has followed.

Did you play the same DKII I did, or was I high while I was playing it? It was a very, very unserious game to say the least.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »

Cautiously optimistic because it's Paradox.
I thought we liked Paradox?

Anyway, I played a little Dungeon Keeper, but my copy crashed pretty hard and I couldn't get past the fourth level or so. Plus I was running it on this semi-modern computer, and it didn't cooperate with my graphics card so I had to use software graphics.

So, the dungeon-keeper-like games I remember are mostly Evil Genius and -wait for it- Lego Rock Raiders. Yes, really.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14