Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Shipwreck embark  (Read 7428 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shipwreck embark
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:11:08 pm »

I just got the idea for setting up an embark as though the starting 7 were the survivors from a shipwreck.  Anyone tried this? Ideas on skills and equipment that would be appropriate?

Ideas so far:
   - Lots of wood to represent broken parts of the ship
   - Rope
   - No animals
   - No seeds
   - Only food/booze in wooden containers that would float

Other thoughts?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreck embark
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

You will get migrants unless you can find an island that is actually smaller than a region tile.  This is almost impossible to do now, since toady changed things a year or so ago to minimize/prevent that from happening.

Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:42:05 pm »

Animals could always swim or fly to shore so you could always take a few farm animals along.

Make sure that the ocean biome is selected when you embark as that will put you on the shore.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:44:41 pm »

What are the stats of the 7? I'm guessing lots of swimming and fishing.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6095

its a 7x7 embark. dl has the seed and pic of the embark area. should work with the latest version.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »

Bring one cat as the ship's cat. Also, you can mod the RAWs for entity positions like "Captain," (expedition leader?) "Bo'sun" (Sheriff?) and "First Mate" (Manager/Broker?)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »

Luckily, you were able to scavenge the captain's treasure. The chest was broken in the wreck, but you can build a new one. You should give yourself some gems if you can spare the points at the embark, then construct a chest to put them in. Bury the chest on the island for bonus pirate points.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:34:27 pm »

Bring one cat as the ship's cat.

This is a must, you could bring one male and one female as to start a meat and/or leather production.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »

didnt think this might come in handy... but i read robinson crusoe lately.

he was actually quite lucky and had a lot of stuff. he managed to disassemble a lot of the ship, managed to get a lot of iron parts off of it. and he was lucky to find a dog. so animals are not so impossibl (if they survived).
you could also take seeds, or maybe flour, because they would've most likely made bread on board.
the dwarfs on board probably had personal stuff, so there are maybe some chests unbroken with cloth and coins and random stuff.
ships also had a lot of tools, and if there is a single axe and pick, you should be ok.
what you might not have is a crossbow with bolts, or just a very limited number...

of course, you could try an empty embark, but i think as long as you have some booze/food, an axe and a pick your dwarfs should be ok.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:14 pm »

Suggested Starting skills and Occupations:

Captain:(Expedition Leader)
-Novice Negotiator
-Adequate Appraiser
-Adequate Consoler
-Adequate Pacifier
-Competent Leader

Quartermaster:(Manager)
-Skilled Organizer
-Competent Consoler
-Competent Pacifier

Surgeon:(Chief Med Dwarf)
-Adequate in every med skill

Gunner:
-Proficient Siege Engineer
-Proficient Siege Operator
(alternatively Ambusher+Crossbowman)

Carpenter:
-Proficient Wood Cutter
-Proficient Carpenter
(Possibly some woodcrafting)

Mercenary:
-melee/ranged skills of choice

That leaves 1 other. Last dwarf could be a great noble or a lowly bilge operator.
He could also be the lunatic that kills everyone else and hermits on the island eating strawberries for the rest of his days.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »

Will you get any migrant waves after the first two hardcoded ones if you're stranded on the island? I'm just thinking - maybe the two sets of migrants were some passengers that got washed away but found their way back.

But it sounds interesting to do. I'll give it a shot.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 06:22:21 pm »

I will have ship-like resources - I'll bring along some metal trinkets that will eventually be meltable - but I'm going to simulate that the experienced sailors didn't survive. Stranded on a (volcanic) island with a bunch of deckhands (peasants.)

Will be fun. Embarking now.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 06:24:16 pm »

Will you get any migrant waves after the first two hardcoded ones if you're stranded on the island? I'm just thinking - maybe the two sets of migrants were some passengers that got washed away but found their way back.

But it sounds interesting to do. I'll give it a shot.

If you use the world gen I provided, you don't even get the hardcoded ones.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »

Goats or cavies or something, to represent tame native wildlife.

Chuck the pick--why would a ship have one? Maybe bring an anvil and some ore, though--those are common trade goods.
Actually, you need to consider the purpose of the ship before figuring out what you could have. All ships would have the aforementioned cavies/goats/whatever, plus some wood from the ship, plus some supplies they fished out of the water. Merchant ships would also have trade goods, possibly including weapons, ore, or anvils. Warships would have weapons (other than picks), armor, and ammo. Colony ships (a la Swiss Family Robinson or the Mayflower [?]) would have anything you'd normally bring on an embark. You get the idea.

Every dwarf has at least a couple points in swimming.

For extra challenge, no dwarf has any useful skills except those which they'd reasonably have from their background--Negotiator and Appraiser and such for merchants, military skills for warships, random skills for colonies, etc.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »

Wouldn't an anvil, being a giant hunk of metal, sink long before it got to shore?
A pick might as well, unless the ship was a supply ship heading to a mining colony, and the pick was securely cased in a barrel.

EDIT: Mining not miming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4