Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Star Command (Kickstarter) - Build a spaceship, recruit crew, kick alien asses  (Read 10544 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even I admit that it really bugs me when I get a game and know I am not getting the "complete" game.

It really unnerves me even when they are minor.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Before that... hrm. I can't believe The Longest Journey was released *13* years ago.

I've had that recommend recently.  Would it make for a good introduction to the genre?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Too bad they decided to have kickstarter only stuff.

Else i would have supported it.

parame

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

they are going to hire 3 new people for the pc version, they are going to add a lot of content, including special items, rooms, species/races, the players will be able to control bigger ships with more crew (medium sized ships on android/ios and max 10 crews, and on pc large ships with even more crew members)..
They are going to build a system allowing pc players to pick up exactly where they left their save game on pc and pick up and continue on their android devices. And a few other things

Sounds vague. What exactly constitutes a "bigger ship with more crew members" and even then, by what means is that the desirable conclusion?
Edit after understanding better the question.

It's a good thing  for the same reason you'd update from a small ship to a medium one. Role play (seeing your ship improve and everything that goes with it) and gameplay (gain power, have more rooms for more weapons, and apparels and so on). They  explained that the fun they are aiming at, is rooted in "chaos".
Medium ships allow up to 10 crew members (portable device limitations). As you improve your ship, you'll reach a limit in rooms and crew smaller than what you'd get on pc (obviously so that the game can run on most portable devices).

Bigger ships allow for more (at least 15+), you can give orders to crew member one by one if you so desire. The chaos is born from managing the ship's shield, weapon, hull, the crew inside, what your weapons are aiming at, defending the inside of the ships, fixing walls, extinguishing fires, repairing strategic rooms, invading the other ship and so on.  For example you can send a crew member to die by sending him/her in a room with a hul breach to close the leak, saving the ship but loosing the crew member. You can send 3 crew member to defend the shield's room from invaders (when inside invaders can wreck the room preventing you from using shields until you repair it) while the rest of the crew invades the ennemy ship, or is putting out fires in the part of the ship hit by the ennemy weapons.

An increase of crew size and ship size, means more options, more things to defend and more to do, and so more chaos. Which is why it's a desirable conclusion, as this is what the gameplay is based on.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:12:09 am by parame »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should have read what they had to say before making a derogatory post

Make Derogatory posts you say? Well I wasn't planning on it but I gues if you insist I can come up with one later.

Though my goals are rather secret, and I don't really share them.

If you were asking why "bigger ships would be a better thing" in particular. Well for the same reason you'd update from a small ship to a medium one isn't?

No, I mean exactly that. Why is a bigger ship better gameplay wise? Remember that they arn't going to be doing major editing and thus the most you increase the size of the ship the bulkier and cumbersome it becomes, the less strategic it somehow becomes as well with characters being strewn about and unable to provide aid to another side of the ship.

I remember some games where people would intentionally avoid having a fully stocked crew just to avoid this sort of situation.

So that is the question isn't it? Is a bigger ship better or has the limitations somehow improved upon the quality of the experience?

It's vague because I don't want to rewrite every single details

Sounds vague because it is vague quite frankly. Mostly because of what it is. Add in that I am personally being vague and it doesn't help the conversation. Though I admit there isn't much way around my vagueness.

better graphics

Higher technical graphics. Though truthfully few people can tell the difference anyhow, as aggrivating as that is, so I'll give it to you.

What would you "require"? If you did have something specific that would be required to justify in your eyes the kickstarted pc version... Why not post it on their forum then?

I try to be as even handed as possible and find that whenever I move from that course it ends up hurting me and the community in general. So far I havn't actually laid any solid criticisms on the game so far so I havn't really left anything open for its requirement.

As I would feel rather silly signing up for a forum just to criticise a game, especially when it wouldn't be helpful. As well I am sure even you wouldn't want me to do so.

It is just one of those things people say but don't actually mean.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am annoyed with this dev team. I was one of those people who supported the mobile version and now they are taking money and starting a new project before finishing the first. It is foolish to give them any more money. Also, it's a mobile game, how long could it possible take them to complete it and how did they go 50k in debt?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have any spare money lying around at the moment, so I can't throw money at this. But seeing this thread, my interest cooled quite a bit. I'll get the game when (if?) it's finished.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

I am annoyed with this dev team. I was one of those people who supported the mobile version and now they are taking money and starting a new project before finishing the first. It is foolish to give them any more money. Also, it's a mobile game, how long could it possible take them to complete it and how did they go 50k in debt?
Well, tell us how long and how much it should cost? Break downs would be neat. And they aren't starting on a new project, but expanding their current one. I think they're doing that to help justify the new kickstarter thingy.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Well, tell us how long and how much it should cost? Break downs would be neat. And they aren't starting on a new project, but expanding their current one. I think they're doing that to help justify the new kickstarter thingy.

It's double-dipping plain and simple. They asked for money to finish a game, got way more than they asked for, and now they're asking for more so they can port their still-not-released game. Regardless of whatever excuses they have, that's still a pretty shitty thing to do.

It's starting a new project because the people who donated all that money months ago were essentially paying for a mobile phone game. Now these guys have, without releasing the damn thing, decided to start porting it to another system. Why not release it for mobile phones as originally planned and use the money from that to fund their port? At the very least it'd make people more willing to donate a second time if they've proven they can actually deliver from the first Kickstarter.

And whoever said point and click adventure games are dead... I've gotta assume you've not been paying attention? There's loads of good new ones out there.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

It's double-dipping plain and simple. They asked for money to finish a game, got way more than they asked for, and now they're asking for more so they can port their still-not-released game. Regardless of whatever excuses they have, that's still a pretty shitty thing to do.

It's starting a new project because the people who donated all that money months ago were essentially paying for a mobile phone game. Now these guys have, without releasing the damn thing, decided to start porting it to another system. Why not release it for mobile phones as originally planned and use the money from that to fund their port? At the very least it'd make people more willing to donate a second time if they've proven they can actually deliver from the first Kickstarter.
I agree that it's double dipping for sure. They grossly underestimated the costs assioacted for their game.  I think if they had something to release, then they would have released it. It seems like they're at the 90/90 threshold. 90% done, and now 90% of the time to make the game comes in.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

So, uh. How did they get away with using Star Command as the name of their game? That's my major point of curiosity about this thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Too bad they decided to have kickstarter only stuff.
Else i would have supported it.

I feel this way about just about all games, I hate promo or premium content for pre-orders/donating, its just annoying, especially in online centric games.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

I agree that it's double dipping for sure. They grossly underestimated the costs assioacted for their game.  I think if they had something to release, then they would have released it. It seems like they're at the 90/90 threshold. 90% done, and now 90% of the time to make the game comes in.

So why not just finish the game? Why are they starting work on a port before the game is even finished?

Either they're woefully disorganised and unable to budget time and resources properly, or they're greedily asking for more money. Either way it doesn't really engender trust that they'll deliver.

Whats to stop them from, in six months time, doing another kickstarter becuase "what'dya know even though we got 150% of what we asked for the second time, we spent it all on stuff and now were hugely in debt again. Fund this kickstarter and we'll add in multiplayer/port to 3ds/port to xbox live/get the star trek license/add feature X"

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For starters : http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2012/02/14/mobile-game-revenue-math/

Secondly, I work with indie teams a lot and one like this should have had no issue completing a game in 12 months for $20-30kUSD while working part time. The wide variance on the cost is due to engine licensing vs creating their own. The problem is they are acting like an established and profitable game company and paying people as they go. They have zero marketing costs due to using Kickstarter and FB as free publicity and advertising. This is the kind of mismanagement that has sunk many studios and they show little respect to the userbase  when asking for more money.

It's bad business. Bad community relations. Bad logic. Which explains the bad taste in my mouth.

EDIT: Angry Birds cost $150k to make. This was a decent sized company with an expensive overhead in place. Now imagine a couple of just out of school kids making a game to get their name out there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:41:57 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I went info hunting, since this game does look quite nice. The forums aren't that helpful since they don't post a lot over there. I then looked to the facebook page. The guys sure don't lack ambition. They partnered up with Zynga and want to have a in-game store, just like TF2 has. The technical term is IAP I believe. Anyway, this interview explains a bit more.

Loads of ambition. I hope they can deliver.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 [2] 3