Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687419 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9225 on: June 30, 2023, 07:16:18 am »

Out of simple curiosity:

What's everyone's favourite architectural style?
Art Deco!
Friend!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: July 01, 2023, 03:23:30 am »

Brutalism for the win. Gorrillion folded reinforced concrete slabs arranged in domicile-adjacent shapes make mother nature cry and Fuhrer proud.
That said, I like looking at these, with a 'fuck that's ugly' general vibe going through my head. I wouldn't want to live in one.

I actually like brutalism in the root of the style: exposed materials likee concrete, steel and brick. The shapes that we think of are also alright with me, honestly. I'd be fine to live in a half-finished building apparently.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: July 01, 2023, 03:44:52 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: July 01, 2023, 07:29:01 am »

Brutalism for the win. Gorrillion folded reinforced concrete slabs arranged in domicile-adjacent shapes make mother nature cry and Fuhrer proud.
That said, I like looking at these, with a 'fuck that's ugly' general vibe going through my head. I wouldn't want to live in one.

I actually like brutalism in the root of the style: exposed materials likee concrete, steel and brick. The shapes that we think of are also alright with me, honestly. I'd be fine to live in a half-finished building apparently.
I mean, it's finished when the insides aren't exposed to the elements anymore and the desired utilities function. Everything past that point is just extras :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: July 01, 2023, 02:11:15 pm »

We call that style Industrial in the States, I think.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_style
I'm actually quite fond of it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: July 01, 2023, 02:30:42 pm »

No, that's interior design. Brutalism is architecture.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: July 01, 2023, 02:31:33 pm »

I probably just like big walls. I prefer roman over gothic but I prefer barroque over both. What's the fanciest architecture style with the biggest walls? Probably that... But not the square shit. Then again who would want to clean a barroque facade, what a pain in the ass that would be. Also buildings that arch over a street to fuse together or something like that? Concerning lack of walls. It makes me anxious just to think how much skyscrapers can move in the wind.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 02:41:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: July 01, 2023, 07:19:04 pm »

What is rough relative diffirence between distances at which:
Explosion is audible.
Explosion shakes the house floor (evidently, much bigger than the next one).
Explosion blows out the windows.
You are dead, yo.

I remember there was a site that lists those for nuke explosions...

Asking because I have heard hundreds of booms by now, yet there is no trace of them to be seen. It is baffling. Although, I seldom leavy my house and many of them probably weren't exactly bomb explosions.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: July 01, 2023, 08:23:07 pm »

The inverse square law applies as the energy dissipates over wider areas. But there are many other things in play - atmospheric pressure, buildings and stuff in the way, and size of original explosion.

The basic answer is that sound will travel much further than any harmful pressure waves from the explosion. You can hear some artillery from 200 miles away, and volcanos can sometimes be heard even further away. Artillery will blast out windows for a couple city blocks, but again depends on the shot and the builds surrounding the explosion.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: July 01, 2023, 08:49:13 pm »

What is rough relative diffirence between distances at which:
Explosion is audible.
Explosion shakes the house floor (evidently, much bigger than the next one).
Explosion blows out the windows.
You are dead, yo.

I remember there was a site that lists those for nuke explosions...

Asking because I have heard hundreds of booms by now, yet there is no trace of them to be seen. It is baffling. Although, I seldom leavy my house and many of them probably weren't exactly bomb explosions.
You're thinking of nukemap, gives you a breakdown of fallout, immediate death, serious injury, minor injury, severe damage, minor damage etc. etc. as well as a death count.

Kind of morbid but interesting site.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: July 02, 2023, 04:00:14 am »

I remember messing with that site, it was pretty amusing, also learned that even if they dropped the biggest known bombs on the nearby cities I would still be unaffected by everything but the fallout and possibly not by that much of it given the typical wind directions in my area/.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: July 03, 2023, 10:02:49 am »

Aren't red and green pretty much at opposite ends of the color spectrum? How can a liquid be green if reflecting light, golden green when staining paper, dark red when the sun shines through, and become milky/mocca when adding water? I know they're all just hues of brown, and thats where they join eachother in a dimmly lit room it looks so brown its allmost black, it's still incredibly perplexing.
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: July 03, 2023, 12:21:58 pm »

Something that looks green when reflecting light means it is absorbing red and reflecting green.  If you are looking "through" it - enough green got reflected the other way, the only thing left to get to your eyes is red.

Brown actually isn't a spectral color by the way; it's just the name we give particular shades of orange.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: July 03, 2023, 12:35:27 pm »

I saw the technology connections video  :D but honestly if brown isn't a real color that makes it more confusing that those different tints would aggregate around it. How come this isn't observed more often with all kinds of transculent materials? I might upload some pics later in the evening.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: July 03, 2023, 01:41:16 pm »

Hmmmm... Evidently this is hard to take on picture, the glass allways gets in the way, and the sun is going down anyway but there it is. I tried to focus on color accuracy and not sharpness obviously, but invevitably this allready went through several translation layers before reaching somebody else's eye, I just hope it was all png at least and not jpg.

I guess I found it on the paint colorpalett, it's like somewhere in the yellow circle. But it would seem that we are particularly bad at perceiving nuances at that particular spot of the spectrum... Honestly it all just looks grey down there, not even brown.

let
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 637