Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687479 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9150 on: May 17, 2023, 07:26:15 am »

-Don't wank off the doctor every episode. It's all right to have an episode every now and then where you can get away with portraying the doctor as the weird alien time traveling entity that is truly dangerous, but not every episode has to be "A good man goes to war." The character is called the doctor for a reason. Focusing on how good they are at being an omnicidal warlord is... More in the spirit of the master than the doctor. There should not be a grand celebration or comedic reference to how many people the doctor has killed too often otherwise it undermines the whole shame of the "you would make a good dalek" episodes they like to remake every now and then.
-On a related degree don't treat the doctor's intelligence as some kind of superpower where he does 5d chess throughout time. He's not a marvel superhero, 9th and 10th doctor made it very clear he's smart but not that smart, and however smart he is, he or she is still bound by the wibbly wobbly laws of physics.

And my one potentially controversial take
-Refocus away from the grand narratives back to episodic fun where each episode could be its own self-contained story. It would make the show much more fun for casual viewers who wouldn't need to understand vast pieces of lore just to get what is going on

So some further thoughts. I'm now at the Capaldi era and have found myself skipping large chunks of episodes. Particularly the Zygon invasion episode pair - the sole redeeming feature of which was the Dr's speech towards the end. This is likely a personal gripe, but the whole 'they're just a splinter group, the rest are 100% happy with us' rhetoric came across as too real-world propagandist for me. Instead of subtle allegory, we had John Cena.

Note that I'm not commenting on the validity of the rhetoric. Mainly because I think it's too thorny, sensitive, and complicated to make a simple declarative statement and then lol into the sunset like the Dr did.

Anywho. LW, see above, notes that we ought to see grand narratives interspersed with 'episodic fun,' with a good balance struck. They did this quite well with Matt Smith era Who - the episodes had some reference to the overarching narrative, but it was usually just a snapshot of a mysterious crack at the end. And when they did epic narrative, the narrative was epic.

An example of episodic Smith would be the Van Gogh episode. They meet the artist, they relate to him, lie in a field and see the swirling colours of the cosmos ----- and fail to change the course of Vincent's life. Personally, I found it very emotive - and I know it to be a fan favourite.

Capaldi doesn't do this. We get Danny Pink, which was well done - the Good Soldier meets the Fleeing Quasi-Deserter - and we get Missy, who is emotive in a whole different way. But post-Pink, none of the episodic episodes carry any emotive weight. They are whodunnits, curiosities, but not.... gripping.

So yep, this is my assessment thus far. Not sure if I'll be able to break into the post-Capaldi seasons. But we'll see - I've only just managed to stomach the Zygons.

Edit: I've now seen to the end of the Capaldi era. It gets a lot better. The tone with Clara and Capaldi-Doctor was horribly off, and while Bill Potts has always struck me as a paper-thin character, Nardole brings enough depth for both of them. Which is surprising because I was prepared to dislike the character.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:52:46 pm by TD1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: May 25, 2023, 11:37:47 am »

Anyone know why my computer keeps minimising fullscreen programs? Anything else it won't, but if I leave something on fullscreen and don't make any inputs it'll get minimised after ~5 minutes. Literally nothing else happens, it's like I've got the mildest piece of malware on my PC or something.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: May 25, 2023, 12:48:25 pm »

Anyone know why my computer keeps minimising fullscreen programs? Anything else it won't, but if I leave something on fullscreen and don't make any inputs it'll get minimised after ~5 minutes. Literally nothing else happens, it's like I've got the mildest piece of malware on my PC or something.

Need more info - what OS? What kind of keyboard/mouse are you using? What are your power management / screen saver settings? Is it any program, or only certain ones?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: May 25, 2023, 01:12:11 pm »

Windows 10, keyboard's a Wraith keyboard that I got on sale something like 6 years ago, mouse is a Zelotes that I got about the same time, no screensaver, and any program that's fullscreen (as opposed to just maximised).

It's not the drivers, that's the only thing that was coming up when I Googled it (I am once again going to complain, Google is shit now. The search is just awful, shows you stuff that rehashes the same thing or is utterly unrelated and ignores things like the exclude and include inputs)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: May 25, 2023, 01:22:42 pm »

Something I just found - check that you didn't accidentally change to "tablet mode"? Somewhere in Settings.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: May 25, 2023, 07:28:16 pm »

Previous question still stands (On my laptop so I can't check my tower), but here's another one.

Do you think with a mental monologue (Or dialogue, as some people have) or not?

I find myself slipping between abstract thought and monologue depending on the task and if I'm in a flow state. Abstract helps with mathematics and non-language thought processes (for example, when I'm trying to connect thoughts in my head it happens in a non-monologue manner) and if I'm in a flow state it just comes naturally. If I'm reading or actively trying to think something through, it'll often come out in a monologue, or if I realise I'm thinking in a non-monologue manner.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: May 25, 2023, 09:12:22 pm »

Yes that but also I've attached a proably unhealthy value judgement to it in that I push all my neurotic traits onto my verbalising personality facets, see you can't be neurotic if you're not verbalising (cue modern problems eddy murphy).

Maybe not that unhealthy but you can definitly overdo it... The other day I presented someone with a short resume of my formative experiences and when you put 'em in a row like that, when you keep it short it does sound traumatic, but I never saw myself that way I guess kid me was resilient AF... But back then I seeked out the quiet subconsciously, once I started to identify any obstacle to it as hostile, and reflect hostlity back whenever quiet seemed unachievable things didn't really improve...

On the internal monologue tho, this is probaby gonna be another thing that sounds intuitively oitrageous, ugh here we go: I think the people who say they have none at all are exagerating, or rather lack the perception to notice themselves doing it. Kinda just being homo sapiens, not sapiens sapiens, I guess you can get stuck in one mode or the other and that there are predispositions and enviromental factors that might push individuals one way or the other... but like if you went your whole life in either neurotic monologisation, or feral bliss, you existence must have been quite sheltered to a degree, because I can't imagine doing like allmost a century unbothered without any constraints to adapt.
let

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: May 26, 2023, 12:05:09 am »

Previous question still stands (On my laptop so I can't check my tower), but here's another one.

Do you think with a mental monologue (Or dialogue, as some people have) or not?

I find myself slipping between abstract thought and monologue depending on the task and if I'm in a flow state. Abstract helps with mathematics and non-language thought processes (for example, when I'm trying to connect thoughts in my head it happens in a non-monologue manner) and if I'm in a flow state it just comes naturally. If I'm reading or actively trying to think something through, it'll often come out in a monologue, or if I realise I'm thinking in a non-monologue manner.
I kinda have a mental monologue, but I'm about 90% sure it's not mentally verbalized the same way other people have one. Which makes sense given I literally don't have an imagination. (Outside of dreams).

So yeah, even within the normal spectrum people are significantly mentally divergent and things you just assume (eg
 I thought that "You have forgotten the face of your father" was a metaphor since people couldn't just call up faces like that) are normal can turn out to be anything but.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:15:10 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: May 28, 2023, 04:16:09 am »

Was the forum down today or something, because I'm not seeing that a lot has gone while I was logged off.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: May 28, 2023, 12:53:41 pm »

So yeah, even within the normal spectrum people are significantly mentally divergent and things you just assume (eg
 I thought that "You have forgotten the face of your father" was a metaphor since people couldn't just call up faces like that) are normal can turn out to be anything but.
This line just kind of struck me as personally funny because: I'm hyperphantasic, but I'm also mostly prosopamnestic (can't remember faces), so faces are the one thing I really can't do.

I dunno, that's probably not interesting to anyone else, but it's a thing.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: May 29, 2023, 08:50:57 pm »

Face blindness is also commonly part of Aphantasia, so I'm in there with you. Not 100%, after enough exposure I can recognize the faces of say, family members or very good friends, but it takes quite a bit of concentrated effort on my part and time and even then it isn't perfect.

Didn't even realize that I was any different from regular people until last year and I just thought I was bad with names.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: May 30, 2023, 09:50:03 am »

...I mostly just need new glasses. :P

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: June 01, 2023, 07:26:24 pm »

Anyone know of any "Survival in an utterly bizarre environment" style stories, short stories etc. akin to the infinite IKEA SCP with the various human colonies?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: June 02, 2023, 01:18:12 am »

Anyone know of any "Survival in an utterly bizarre environment" style stories, short stories etc. akin to the infinite IKEA SCP with the various human colonies?
I like the sound of that kind of story and would also be interested in any that get found.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: June 02, 2023, 07:46:09 am »

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-11-29

Not really what you want, I think, but it's what came to mind.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 637