Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687638 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8880 on: January 13, 2023, 11:38:42 pm »

Wait, do they mean gasses that react with CO2 or gasses that counteract the greenhouse effect? What even are they planning to release?

And is it even safe/a good idea? Or would they just cause another problem?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: January 13, 2023, 11:58:31 pm »

I may be misremembering details, but I think there was some company or another somewhere (south of the US?) that was sending up... basically balloons filled with sulfur of some sort or another, and then popping them, releasing the payload into the atmosphere.

It was. Basically techbro geoengineering, which is a combination of words that is exactly as concerning as you'd think. Lots of dumb shit involved, up to and including, like, not checking to see what happened afterwards, or something along those lines. Dumbfuck venture capital burning horseshit vaguely resembling actual (I think since -- as in well before the idiots in question did this -- discredited-ish?) geoengineering proposals.

The only bright side involved is that they were too small scale to do any meaningful damage to the countryside, heh.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:01:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: January 14, 2023, 03:35:37 am »

that was sending up... basically balloons filled with sulfur of some sort or another, and then popping them, releasing the payload into the atmosphere.
Sounds exciting and helpful, but I know a better thing we could do for the environment and that would be to take all the tires and set fire to them!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: January 14, 2023, 05:50:53 pm »

There was a proposal to start sending aerosols into the atmosphere that reflect light outwards to prevent as much light from warming up the Earth. Kinda like volcanic eruptions that kick up ash which dims the sky.

This sounds to me like a mindblowingly stupid idea. For one it does not primarily decrease the amount of infrared light that keeps getting bounced around keeping the Earth warm but the visible light that hits the Earth in the first place. Which means less light for plants to grow. Wonder what that'll do to our agriculture...

Also wonder what happens when you got tons of sulfur oxides in the air mingling with oxygen and water. No way that'll cause acid rain, no siree...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:53:03 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: January 14, 2023, 06:08:55 pm »

https://futurism.com/startup-releasing-chemicals-dim-sun
Yeah, that's the techbro geoengineering idiots I had heard about. Move fast and scam the investors break stuff, not necessarily the best idea when you're dumping sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: January 14, 2023, 07:22:48 pm »

Screw it bring back the oldschool pollutents that phosphor fluorence is such an eyesore, only radium may tickle my eyeballs. You only live once.
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: January 14, 2023, 07:44:11 pm »

Sounds like you also don’t want to live long :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: January 14, 2023, 07:56:36 pm »

But but not being inconvenienced prevails over basic I can only say motor skills cause we're way past common sense. Trust me it's been windy for like half a month.

I think you misunderstood, radium would be such a chad way to go.
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: January 14, 2023, 08:50:31 pm »

I feel like I should create a company that will build pipes into the sky that will pump hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, blocking out the Sun so as to counteract global warming.  Of course, I am looking for Government Subsidies for providing this service.  We'll also make a little money on the side selling off the electricity...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: January 14, 2023, 09:12:36 pm »

Pump the CO2 into space, that oughta do it.
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: January 14, 2023, 09:42:39 pm »

I'm really racking my brain to remember where I saw a funny skit ages ago. It was about a very inappropriate plumber that's talking dirty to the pipes and sensuously caressing the pipe holes in a way that is making the owners uncomfortable. When he's asked to leave, he angrily reminds them he's the best and cheapest in town, by a large margin. He then resumes while the confused and disgusted owners watch on.

I just remembered it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It seems like something SNL would do, but nothing comes up searching for that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: January 15, 2023, 02:03:28 am »

I'm really racking my brain to remember where I saw a funny skit ages ago. It was about a very inappropriate plumber that's talking dirty to the pipes and sensuously caressing the pipe holes in a way that is making the owners uncomfortable. When he's asked to leave, he angrily reminds them he's the best and cheapest in town, by a large margin. He then resumes while the confused and disgusted owners watch on.

I just remembered it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It seems like something SNL would do, but nothing comes up searching for that.
It is terrifying....    I need to see this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: January 15, 2023, 06:35:23 am »

Is this what you're thinking of?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: January 15, 2023, 12:40:10 pm »

Yes! I completely forgot about SMBC Theater.
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 637