Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687463 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8535 on: September 09, 2022, 08:04:23 am »

DOUG DIETYDOME, OWNER OF THE DIMSDALE DIETYDOME
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: September 11, 2022, 08:12:23 pm »

For my fellow trans forumites:

Any of you get a thing where you're happy with the idea of being the opposite sex and dressing as such, but dressing as such while otherwise appearing as your birth sex triggers dysphoria?

Because I'm normally OK (As in I can sort of ignore the dysphoria) but sticking myself in women's clothes while otherwise male-presenting will ruin my mood for days. It's bad enough that I'll get vicarious dysphoria seeing other people do it, and the mental image gives me a horrible feeling in my gut, but thinking of myself as a woman while wearing women's clothes makes me feel euphoric.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: September 13, 2022, 01:19:25 am »

If you see someone proudly posting a picture of their new runic tattoo, and while looking at it you become reasonably sure that they're either using some extremely obscure alphabet you're not aware of, or they've just horribly misspelled it... What's the morally correct course of action at that point? Letting them know, or keeping your trap shut so they can enjoy their ink?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: September 13, 2022, 03:05:58 am »

If I thought it was misspelled I'd tell them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: September 13, 2022, 04:51:50 am »

I mean... Does it really count as a misspelling if it's spelled correctly, but with the wrong letters?

Edit Update: Turns out he's aware and was intentionally using a mix of runes and Latin lettering. Including using both Futhark and Latin interchangeably for one letter in different parts of the same word.

So, it's a mess, but at least it's an intentional mess.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: September 13, 2022, 01:56:51 pm »

A nice reminder that people get tattoos because they want to talk about the tattoos, so you can't go wrong asking them about their tattoos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: September 13, 2022, 09:00:17 pm »

Any of you get a thing where you're happy with the idea of being the opposite sex and dressing as such, but dressing as such while otherwise appearing as your birth sex triggers dysphoria?
Yeah this is definitely a thing.  I cope with it by being somewhat genderfluid, adopting different roles, but I am trying to find my true self.  Even with my partner's help I've had trouble finding what I "want" to look like, but I'm okay if there's nothing to find.

Maybe this is obvious, but wearing non-assigned clothing while not looking *immaculate* reminds me of all the shitty "trans" depictions in the movies I grew up on.

It helps that I've known some very normal people who were not fashion models.  I wouldn't look so out of place with them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: September 13, 2022, 09:36:31 pm »

Maybe this is obvious, but wearing non-assigned clothing while not looking *immaculate* reminds me of all the shitty "trans" depictions in the movies I grew up on.

I think this is it. It's slightly different for me because I don't want HRT and don't think I would identify as male in an "ideal world," but I sure as hell do not want to look like the lead from Boys Don't Cry or "generic lesbian number 3."

I try to focus more these days on "what I long for" and think less about what other people will think of me for it. As it turns out, just doing what I want as opposed to thinking about a coherent presentation will make me look plenty queer and highly ambiguous. No need to think about the bigger picture.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: September 15, 2022, 12:39:57 pm »

I think I have finally found words for a recent observation about society.  Maybe I'm wrong...

So often it seems like the response to something in society is an assumption of guilt without evidence.  This is in opposition to the philosophy with which I grew up, which is innocence until proven guilty.

This can be in things like accusations of impropriety or corruption, it can be in statements like "the elite are out to get the poor", it can be in statements like "all cops are brutes" or "all Republicans are fans of Trump".

Wouldn't it be better for everyone's health if we did give people benefit of the doubt until there is real evidence (not just stuff on Twitter)?  Especially people you don't know personally?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: September 15, 2022, 12:56:08 pm »

A pedophile is not gonna change tires on trucks, people pick their activities according to their inclination. So I'm less disagreeing with the overall premise than accusing you of leaving the first cue, which can be a pretty big one, out of the evidence pool. There are actions that clearly shift the burden of proof from the accuser to the accusee.

Super easy example: passing the metal gates in a store and triggering the theft alarm. There are perfectly anodine explanations, no need to lynch nobody just because the beeper rang. But as you notice: the burden of proof just shifted.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:07:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: September 15, 2022, 02:36:09 pm »

That's because there is already a small burden of evidence in that case.

An accusation is not evidence on its own.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: September 15, 2022, 03:23:09 pm »

I think that's where the disagreement is. Some people see the presence of an accusation as some evidence. If X% of the people who are accused actually did the crime, then presence of the accusation mean's there's an X% chance that the person did it. The other possibility is simply that the suspect is unlucky.

The American legal system does not accept convictions based on chance though. Juries have consistently demonstrated an inability to understand probability properly so after some high-profile wrongful convictions, we banned that line of argumentation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:31:28 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: September 15, 2022, 03:32:42 pm »

I think that's where the disagreement is. Some people see the presence of an accusation as some evidence. If X% of the people who are accused actually did the crime, then presence of the accusation mean's there's an X% chance that the person did it. The other possibility is simply that the suspect is unlucky.

Some people are also very stupid and will believe anything they’re told.

Being accused of something does not confer any kind of chance that the act was performed by the accused.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: September 15, 2022, 06:14:11 pm »

Basically "If the Jews hasn't poisoned at least a few wells, why would people accuse them?" the argument
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: September 15, 2022, 06:19:38 pm »

Do you also posit you have a right to be angry if you cross a woman at night and she switches the sidewalk because she is uncomfortable?
let
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 637