Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687749 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8265 on: June 11, 2022, 09:01:54 am »

To be fair. Humans are design biased towards right-handedness
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: June 11, 2022, 09:26:18 am »

Definitely unrelated:
Link your hands together, interlocking your fingers (like you're going to make a deal, like the meme).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right and right, if I understood you correctly.

Which meme though? Crafty finger posturing most often involves touching tips but no interlocking in my mind.
Yeah I remembered the meme wrong, they're "steepled" like you described.

I was just curious because I'm right handed but my left hand is naturally higher when I link my fingers.  It feels weird to link them the other way.  Just a habit, I guess.  I was idly wondering how universal that was.

I totally agree about right-handed bias in design, though I'm not sure there's an easy solution beyond releasing separate left-handed versions.  The bias in building design is interesting though - morally, is it right to design for the convenience of 90% of people 100% of the time?

IIRC Crusader Kings actually gives a combat advantage to left-handed duelists.  I haven't looked into that (other than loving The Princess Bride) but I can imagine it being a thing.  In particular it sounds very useful when assaulting one of those spiral staircases where it's intentionally hard for right-handed attackers to get a clean swing around the center pillar.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: June 11, 2022, 09:37:26 am »

I don't know if it's a factoid but iirc I've read that left-handedness is supposed to be boon when fighting, because it turns the positioning of the body on it's mirror-side for the opponent while the leftie will be used to training against right-handed sparring partners.

Which hilariously brings up the question if being left-handed is still an advantage against other left-handed opponents, because left-handed people are also used to sparring against right-handed partners?

(Also I left this out above because I am not a sports guy but isn't left-front-forwards why "south paws" (if I remember the term right are considered tricky opponents in boxing?)
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: June 11, 2022, 12:02:38 pm »

In particular it sounds very useful when assaulting one of those spiral staircases where it's intentionally hard for right-handed attackers to get a clean swing around the center pillar.

Impossible. If a lefthander is fighting down, and a righthander is fighting up, or if a lefthander is fighting up and a righthander is fighting down, they both have either the wall on the side of their strong hand, or they both have the pillar on the side of their strong hand, which one depends on wether the staircase goes clockwise or counterclockwise.
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: June 11, 2022, 01:47:43 pm »

Left-handed was confers advantages presumably because people aren’t used to it.

Guardian article on a study
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: June 11, 2022, 02:04:17 pm »

IIRC Crusader Kings actually gives a combat advantage to left-handed duelists.  I haven't looked into that (other than loving The Princess Bride) but I can imagine it being a thing.  In particular it sounds very useful when assaulting one of those spiral staircases where it's intentionally hard for right-handed attackers to get a clean swing around the center pillar.

When I started fencing it was explained to me that lefties have a slight advantage because righties are more common. So the lefty gets a lot of experience fighting right handed people while right handed people don't have much experience fighting left handed people. Also applies to baseball, the pitcher probably has less experience pitching against a left handed batter.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: June 14, 2022, 05:15:32 am »

When I started fencing it was explained to me that lefties have a slight advantage because righties are more common. So the lefty gets a lot of experience fighting right handed people while right handed people don't have much experience fighting left handed people.
I found this to be absolutely true during my many years of fencing. Especially with one guy in the club that could beat me only because of his left-handedness. Lefties were typically called "mutants" in my fencing scene.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: June 21, 2022, 05:05:35 pm »

Q: Does anyone know what cut of the listed price do the various major game vendors take for themselves? I vaguely recall Steam taking 30% (does it?). What about GoG, Epic, Humble Store? Itch.io?
E.g., if you wanted to leave the developers with the largest chunk of your hard-earned currency, which would you pick?
Or are they all pretty much the same?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: June 21, 2022, 05:16:42 pm »

‘Industry standard’ is considered to be 30% (steam, GOG) Epic went into distribution specifically to challenge Steam’s cut. Epic’s cut is 12%. Humble says their cut is 25%. Itch is 10% by default but allows the dev to choose the cut percentage
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: June 21, 2022, 05:17:58 pm »

Excellent. Ta.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: June 22, 2022, 01:51:28 pm »

Are you having an argument?
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: June 22, 2022, 02:37:16 pm »

What, me? Only with myself, if that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: June 23, 2022, 05:26:54 am »

I was hoping for spicy reseller platform drama
Love, scriver~

MusicMagician

• Bay Watcher
  • ヒトリダケナンテエラベナイヨー! (I can't just choose one)
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]h
« Reply #8278 on: June 24, 2022, 09:31:20 am »

Have you ever tried to make excuse for something wrong that you know it won't ever be able to be repaired?
Always take time to leave your passion behind for a greater happiness. Don't hide it and lie about it.
I'm sorry if I can't hold my promise because of my internal paranoia. I'd still be open if anyone really cares...
I don't know, what am I would be thinking if I'm isolated from the entire outer world? I definitely wouldn't imagine to be that kind of person. Somebody have to help my mind about this!
What it takes to be an idol?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: June 24, 2022, 09:45:21 am »

Don't do that to a fault, even if my name is super easy to clear because I hate the reverse so much.
let
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 637