Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687509 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7980 on: March 08, 2022, 04:15:00 pm »

(I only know the comics second-hand and I've only seen a fraction of the MCU)

I doubt how much advantage Peter Parker gets from his photography gig.  I get the feeling he only maintains his cover by living such a humble, even sucky, life.  It's something my dad always loved about the character.  Peter Parker *is* a good boy and student who tries to support his aunt... and then somehow finds the time to be a wisecracking, relatively low-powered superhero.  He's a lot like Mumen Rider.  Technically his spider-powers can be OP, but being a low-rung hero is pretty core to his concept.  They're both good at traveling and then being very brave (and lucky).
A+ best MCU hero

Clark Kent doesn't seem to have a lot of "pull" at the Bugle, though his powers like super-hearing and vision allow him almost perfect surveillance of the whole operation.  I wonder how much he interferes, like destroying photographs?  Superman has that whole paladin thing going on which I hated as an edgy teen.  I feel like he might interfere to help other heroes, but not himself.
Counterpoint:  Superman supposedly does a ton of outright evil stuff in the classic comics, at least in the covers.  But I'm pretty sure that's mostly a marketing strategy (and also that he got SO many comics)

The Punisher is a serial killer with a quirk.  ...I'm mostly just recalling old beef I had with the character in arguments.  The TV show a few years ago did pretty well with him, I think.  But the classic video game Punisher was a disgusting display of wanton violence and I wasn't comfortable with how much my younger brother tried to defend him.  The whole point is that his quest for revenge only causes more harm.  coincidentally my brother worshiped cops back then

And then Batman.  I used to love Batman a lot because he represented my edgy teen power fantasy: having no super-powers but "smarts" and baseline athleticism, and being 100% non-lethal as a dab.  I never really thought about the wealth thing, I just wanted to "be the night" and make a lot of baddies fall safely asleep.  I didn't know about the criminal justice system either.  Nowadays, eh, I think I still like Batman.  It's shitty to go around beating up criminals, but using one's resources to fight supervillains is probably praxis of a sort.  I don't understand why people blame him for his villains... was that something the Joker claimed in the movie trilogy?  It's nonsense IMO.

Daredevil seems pretty cool.  I love closing my eyes and listening to the sounds around me, and he seems like a moral guy in the live-action TV show.  A badass defense attorney is nice to see in a world of vigilantes.

Flash is the best character because he can run so fast that he hacks the universe, also he's funny and generous I think.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: March 08, 2022, 04:39:04 pm »

The journalism gig is mostly a tool for the writer so they can justify the character being literally anywhere: they're at X location because they need to write a story about Y.

Also (real) cops loving the Punisher is the dumbest shit ever, like I question if they've opened a single Punisher comic.  Punisher is the Punisher because the cops failed him and his family died.  He generally hates the cops.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: March 09, 2022, 12:06:00 am »

I remember from the spiderman movies which came out when I was a kid... he kinda exploited being both a superhero and a journalist/photographer by setting up glam shots of himself.

But that's not so much manipulating public opinion as using spiderman's fame to make an extra buck for the whole living in NYC as a student thing, so I can't blame him~
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: March 09, 2022, 12:38:53 am »

I remember from the spiderman movies which came out when I was a kid... he kinda exploited being both a superhero and a journalist/photographer by setting up glam shots of himself.

But that's not so much manipulating public opinion as using spiderman's fame to make an extra buck for the whole living in NYC as a student thing, so I can't blame him~
Parker couldn’t manipulate squat while at the Bugle.
It was all J Jonah Jameson and his universe transcending vendetta against Spider-Man.
Also any time Peter Parker tried to photograph anything other than Spider-Man, JJ would insult him and not give him any money
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: March 09, 2022, 04:38:52 am »

I don't know much about how it is in the comics, but usually I don't think the criminals Barman goes around beating up (super or unsuper) are the kind you should have any kind of sympathy for. Mostly career criminals and mobsters and mobsters, not exactly Snot Boogie who sells black market cigarettes and pirated bluerays as a side gig kind of people.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: March 09, 2022, 10:27:16 am »

Brutalizing them does exactly nothing helpful, though, and Ol' Bruce does a lot of damage in his day to day. Even if you don't have the basic humanity to not want to see even assholes hospitalized, beating the shit out of that sort of folks rarely does anything to prevent them from going right back at it when they're mobile again, and often enough makes it more likely instead of less.

If Batman existed, he'd be a menace that was almost certainly causing crime rates in his area of operations to increase, on top of getting a lot of people killed -- he gets shot at a lot, and the comics generally don't bother to think too hard about what's on the other side of the walls, nevermind the amount of his major villains that would be straight up dead without comic book magic. Most places discourage vigilantism for a reason, and most people are increasingly unhappy with police brutality in general. Real world, Bats would be putting a lot of people in traction or the morgue with the way he operates.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: March 09, 2022, 11:25:52 am »

Brutalizing them does exactly nothing helpful, though, and Ol' Bruce does a lot of damage in his day to day. Even if you don't have the basic humanity to not want to see even assholes hospitalized, beating the shit out of that sort of folks rarely does anything to prevent them from going right back at it when they're mobile again, and often enough makes it more likely instead of less.

Nothing will prevent that sort from going back to it. They are people who chose a criminal career because they enjoy what they get out of it. They are the 20-30% of criminals who isn't going to be rehabilitated under the best of circumstances because they have no interest in changing.

And it's also relevant that batman isn't looking these people's home addresses and swooping down on them when they're watching tele. It usually happens while they're in the middle of committing crime.

Real world, Bats would be putting a lot of people in traction or the morgue with the way he operates.

To be fair, real world speaking, with the way Batman operates the number of people he puts in the morgue would be one ;)
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: March 09, 2022, 11:33:27 am »

Nothing will prevent that sort from going back to it. They are people who chose a criminal career because they enjoy what they get out of it. They are the 20-30% of criminals who isn't going to be rehabilitated under the best of circumstances because they have no interest in changing.
Talk like that makes Superman cry!  Don't make Superman cry, his tears are probably xenomorph acid or something :'(
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:37:11 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: March 09, 2022, 12:01:47 pm »

Well, even they usually start becoming rehabilitative after 30 iirc. I apologise for the hyperbole. The point is that while that I agree that beating them up does nothing prevent the from continuing, not beating them up also don't do anything to prevent then from continuing. Because the kind of people that chose that kind of life aren't some kind of agency-less unfortunate sons who only does crime because they have no other options and would do anything but if society would just give them a chance, they're people who don't mind hurting others to get what they want and will go back to crime even under the best of circumstances because they want the money and prestige they get out of it.
Love, scriver~

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: March 09, 2022, 02:31:10 pm »

Yo, Scriver. Have yougot pity? That's all that matters.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: March 09, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »

Because the kind of people that chose that kind of life aren't some kind of agency-less unfortunate sons who only does crime because they have no other options
Eh, quite a lot of the folks batman ends up beating unconscious are literally drugged or mind controlled; chemical enforcement among mooks is a notable thing for like half his major villain roster (Ivy, Joker, Scarecrow, probably more I'm forgetting). Fair few are pretty explicitly coerced into it, too, iirc. Gotham's a shithole and a half, a lot of the people running enforcement for the gangs or supervillains don't actually want to be doing it. They still get spiked headfirst into concrete :P

E: Bit belated note, but like... the writers of Batman over the years have occasionally gone out of their way to hit the exact note that what Bats is doing isn't necessarily a good thing, that he's not just (depending on the writer, sometimes not even mostly) breaking irredeemable criminals over his knee, and so on. How heavy handed it is varies, and there's plenty of bits of media that whitewash or ignore that side of things, but it's been a part of the franchise for pretty much all my life, far as I can recall. He's one of the more complicated/conflicted characters in comic books, really, even if you stay away from the really wild incarnations of the critter like the one murdered most of the justice league and went on a multidimensional conquest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 06:02:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: March 10, 2022, 08:57:04 am »

In soviet Black Arrow movie i noticed one odd sword that i didn't see anywhere else. Cinematographist's excesses, or is it actually a thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: March 10, 2022, 09:06:50 am »

Looks like an oversized 'swordbreaker': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8tSuMyGOI
tl;dw; probably a Victorian invention never intended for - or practical in - combat.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: March 10, 2022, 02:44:16 pm »

Q: what's the English word for the process where a proper noun turns into a common noun used to describe an entire category? Like Hoover (a company making vacuum cleaners) -> hoover (a vacuum cleaner), Derringer (a maker of firearms) -> derringer (a type of pistol). Etc.
My google-fu is failing me.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: March 10, 2022, 02:57:41 pm »

Generification is the name of the phenomenon. Genericized is how you use it as a verb.

eg. the term Kleenex has been genericized.

Companies hate it when it happens to their product because there is a precedent for losing some of their trademark rights when that happens. That's why google sued a dictionary for including googling as a verb in it. They didn't want it to happen to them.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 637