Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687627 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7275 on: May 06, 2021, 09:50:22 pm »

what's a "chess?"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: May 06, 2021, 09:54:20 pm »

I do play chess. Just not online. I need a real person sitting across the table to enjoy a game. In my home, I always have a chessboard, all set and ready to play.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: May 06, 2021, 10:43:48 pm »

OTB (over the board) I usually either get flattened by my opponent or flatten them. Prefer online for a more fair fight.

I should join a chess club TBH, I want playing OTB to be fun for me instead of a roflstomp.

I used to play against my mother but ended up improving so much over her that I played the Bongcloud (1. e4 ... 2. Ke2) and still won extremely easily. And this with my 1150 Lichess Elo!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:47:57 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: May 06, 2021, 11:02:14 pm »

1150 Elo is apparently between a Hard mode Chessmaster (NES) and a 75% Stockfish dilution with random. That's assuming Elo ratings can be directly compared across different tournaments. Here's the relevant video; full chart at 41:18.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: May 07, 2021, 12:19:55 am »

I don't play chess these days, but I do feel compelled to suggest you give "5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel" a try. It almost makes the game actually interesting :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:14 am »

I don't play chess these days, but I do feel compelled to suggest you give "5D Chess With Multiverse Time Travel" a try. It almost makes the game actually interesting :P

I am indeed planning to do this :V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: May 07, 2021, 03:05:23 am »

1150 Elo is apparently between a Hard mode Chessmaster (NES) and a 75% Stockfish dilution with random. That's assuming Elo ratings can be directly compared across different tournaments. Here's the relevant video; full chart at 41:18.
Nah it's low-level. What did you expect from a NES chess program and an engine that randomly hangs pieces (considering the random dilution)? Both are terrible players. Plus Lichess Elo =/= FIDE Elo.

I bought it when it came out. Play it sometimes. Kinda confusing.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: May 07, 2021, 03:53:17 am »

Nah it's low-level. What did you expect from a NES chess program and an engine that randomly hangs pieces (considering the random dilution)? Both are terrible players. Plus Lichess Elo =/= FIDE Elo.

Your "low-level" is my "instant ragequit". I don't think I've ever won a single Chess game. My way of playing Chess is pretty much the CCCP algorithm described in that video, which is why I absolutely suck at it. You need to remember so many things to do well, and I simply do not have that kind of memory. I need a really crappy Chess bot to play against. One that's just as memory-constrained as I am.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: May 07, 2021, 05:46:07 am »

Your "low-level" is my "instant ragequit". I don't think I've ever won a single Chess game. My way of playing Chess is pretty much the CCCP algorithm described in that video, which is why I absolutely suck at it. You need to remember so many things to do well, and I simply do not have that kind of memory. I need a really crappy Chess bot to play against. One that's just as memory-constrained as I am.
Try Stockfish level 1 on lichess.org. Or play against humans there and you'll be matched against equally bad players. IMO humans are better for practicing against but the bots are fine.

And honestly maybe you're going about learning to play the wrong way. You are not a computer. You can't easily execute a chess algorithm. Studying tactics and opening principles (not drilling openings) will get you far without all that much memorization.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:47:51 am by KittyTac »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: May 09, 2021, 04:36:47 pm »

Am I right in thinking that MP3 is the current lowest common denominator for lossy audio formats? If a device can't play that while also not also being able to play Opus and AAC, then surely it's downright useless as far as multimedia capabilities go, right?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: May 09, 2021, 04:52:24 pm »

Well.. maybe?

Not all mp3 are created equal. There are some nonstandard encoders out there that do strange things. Also, mp3 data inside riff/wave file containers, renamed as .mp3

If a device balks, check for upstream human stupidity first.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: May 09, 2021, 04:59:49 pm »

Let me narrow the question: If I were to encode MP3 with its de facto standard encoder, LAME, with more-or-less default and sane settings, and a device can't even play that, is it worthless for multimedia?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: May 09, 2021, 07:33:49 pm »

For general purposes?

Probably not.  For special purposes? Depends on the special purpose.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: May 09, 2021, 09:09:17 pm »

Mostly worthless, probably? Almost certainly more trouble than it's worth if all you're after is general multimedia use, regardless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7289 on: May 11, 2021, 02:32:06 am »

Who else's styles have you learned? Have you got mine?

A few years ago when I was here all the time I might have been able to do impressions off the cuff, but I have to look at post histories now. I probably could imitate most people but it's a varying amount of work and I'm lazy.

Re: chess, Cinder made a chess thread a bit ago. Could be a couple years by now though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 637