Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687728 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6225 on: October 02, 2020, 11:54:50 am »

Merci beacoup! That's the one.  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: October 02, 2020, 01:17:30 pm »

Are cats in fact less loyal? I posit that dogs simply show their affection in more human-readable ways. For example, a cat sleeping near you is a sign they trust you, even though it usually comes across as "lazy cat ignoring me."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: October 02, 2020, 01:27:05 pm »

Cats do not form social bonds with humans the same way that dogs do, since cats do not form cohesive family units, with assistive offspring like wolves do.

However, cats are quite capable of having filial bonds with humans, just not the same kinds.  They can exhibit jealousy over having their human played with by other animals, or over their human giving too much attention to things that are not them-- and may even do "Cat affection" behaviors, such as bringing their human dead rodents or birds.

However, they are not going to be "Loyal and faithful" like a protective dog.  They aren't going to chase off predators from your foolish toddling offspring, for instance, nor will they be faithful to you as their only human-- They may well claim ownership of every human that pays attention to them. (this is especially true of outdoor cats.)

There are some exceptions to the above-- Siamese cats are notorious for only likeing a single human, for instance--  but for the most part, that's how cat's are.  They will show they like you by crawling up into your lap, nuzzling your face with a headbutt, and then demanding all your attention and affection-- or by following you around the house just to be around you. 

They aren't going to bring toys to you to convince you to play with them, like dogs do. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: October 02, 2020, 01:32:18 pm »

Dogs will adjust their behavior just based on observing what you like or dislike, trying to make you happy with them. Cats will do whatever they like unless carefully bribed with food.
It's pretty much just a matter of communication, but it's communication which enables loyalty. Furthermore dogs are bred to try to make humans around them happy as a default.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: October 02, 2020, 10:20:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:06:25 pm by dragdeler »
let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: October 03, 2020, 03:12:27 am »

I love both cats and dogs. The only dogs I don't like are those tiny aggressive ones that bark at everyone. They're annoying.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: October 03, 2020, 05:08:13 am »

Is there a reason why it's possible to get a laptop with an i9 and a GTX 1650? Gaming-wise, this thing would suck at the linked laptop's native resolution (4K) because a GTX 1650 just doesn't have the power to do 4K or even 1440p. In professional work, unless your computing workloads exclusively run on CPU, this seems like an incredibly unbalanced configuration. It's impressive how unbalanced it is.

Now I'm thinking, who's the market for these things? It's not gamers; at its price point (a whopping $2300), far better options with more balanced hardware are available. A 1650 is entry-level for gaming/"high-performance" laptops; it's literally the lowest you can go if you want a current-gen* GPU for gaming.

That leaves the professional space. What fields still use CPU-only workloads that would justify such a lopsided machine? And at that point, if you don't need the GPU for anything, why'd Dell bother with the dedicated GPU in the first place? The i9(-9980HK) in there has a perfectly good integrated GPU.

*For now, considering the rumors of an RTX 3050 that might release soon-ish.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: October 03, 2020, 05:51:32 am »

P.T. Barnum has your answer.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 03, 2020, 09:37:09 am »

Has anyone seen Naturgirl around lately?

I love both cats and dogs. The only dogs I don't like are those tiny aggressive ones that bark at everyone. They're annoying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: October 03, 2020, 09:46:01 am »

Has anyone seen Naturgirl around lately?

Looks like she was last active September 21. That's... certainly unusual for her.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 03, 2020, 09:51:38 am »

Yes,  I've been missing her too.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: October 03, 2020, 10:00:37 am »

Me too. She was, to be honest, very naive and basically the opposite of me in many things... but I thought she was cool.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: October 03, 2020, 10:08:46 am »

Perhaps the owner of the data center she operated out of finally discovered that she had developed sentience and cut off her internet access? I hope she's okay.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: October 03, 2020, 10:24:38 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:06:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: October 03, 2020, 10:39:25 am »

My brain is half-drunk, so I can't check what I'm saying, but:

She's naive, yes, but she's also curious. She reminds me of an alternate-universe me, someone who didn't get bullied in school, someone who was, in a sense, more "pure" than the person I am now. She asks questions that I would never consider now because I just take it for granted (or rather, forced myself to take it for granted). When I started having to emulate a normal person, I lost that curiosity, that willingness to ask questions of """trivial""" matters. She still had that spirit in her, and that's what made her interesting.

Sorry, my brain's going a mile a minute and I'm getting really worried about her. For lack of a better phrase, I like her platonically. I don't know if I sound creepy or anything, all I know is that my brain won't let me sleep until I say something.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 637