Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687624 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4125 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:01 pm »

It's real bloody hard to tell.

That said, it looks like probably? One of the guidelines notes that insurance apps must both be free and not have in-app purchases, so strictly speaking the app itself wouldn't be making money and straight up could not have a by app or up front store cost involved. There's apparently various ways for non-profit stuff to get on the store, too, and since they transitioned into allowing donations in-app at some point, presumably beforehand the non-profits were either offering a service of some sort or having to address the app being a monetary drain for their budget.

Without being able to kick the apple site and/or google into being more explicit, I'd probably wager the answer is yes, so long as you can still cover whatever fees are involved with hosting an app on the store to begin with. It's fairly impressively unlikely apple would give much of a damn whether the app was draining your wallet so long as you were filling theirs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: November 22, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.  Too bad they aren't more explicit.

From what I understand there isn't really a fee for hosting apps so much as apple charges $100 a year for a developer account to be able to upload in the first place.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4127 on: November 23, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »

The sprinting mechanic in Gear of War is called a roadie run. Why the fuck is it called that?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4128 on: November 23, 2017, 03:29:56 pm »

Quote from: Giant Bomb
The mechanic came to prominence in the original Gears of War. The name of the move is derived from the roadies who carry equipment at musical concerts; the shaking of the camera is meant to resemble the view from behind-the-scenes videos when the subject being filmed suddenly takes off and the camera shakes as the roadie carrying it starts running himself to keep up.

link that I found with a 15-second Google search
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: November 23, 2017, 04:02:11 pm »

That's the point of this thread tho...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4130 on: November 23, 2017, 06:38:43 pm »

...I feel like this thread should be more than 'the LMGTFY thread'.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: November 23, 2017, 07:00:29 pm »

So, without context, I got Let My Girlfriend Touch Feathery Yaks.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: November 23, 2017, 07:45:38 pm »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgtfy
(Not that I mind simple questions, I'm just a smartass)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: November 23, 2017, 07:57:19 pm »

I find this thread most useful when it's something I can't google, either because it's too obscure or I don't know how I'd word the search query.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4134 on: November 23, 2017, 10:04:03 pm »

The mechanic came to prominence in the original Gears of War. The name of the move is derived from the roadies who carry equipment at musical concerts; the shaking of the camera is meant to resemble the view from behind-the-scenes videos when the subject being filmed suddenly takes off and the camera shakes as the roadie carrying it starts running himself to keep up.

I get where you're coming from but if the only reason you're going to respond is so you can tell me how easily you found the answer and not because you just wanted to be helpful, then kindly don't respond to my questions anymore.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: November 24, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »

Ultrasound pest repellents, are they effective or worth it? Also does the ultrasound bother bearded dragons?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: November 24, 2017, 02:51:37 pm »

Ultrasound pest repellents, are they effective or worth it?
No.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4137 on: November 24, 2017, 05:03:39 pm »

I get where you're coming from but if the only reason you're going to respond is so you can tell me how easily you found the answer and not because you just wanted to be helpful, then kindly don't respond to my questions anymore.
Spoiler: ignore this (click to show/hide)

Too Convoluted and Incoherent; Didn't Read: I'm not going to complain about this anymore, and I don't think this is an actual problem, but I still feel the need to write two paragraphs defending my right to gripe.

NEVER MIND

I should not have griped at you; if I was annoyed enough to gripe I should have just left the question alone. I'm sorry for being unnecessarily grumpy and I'm not planning on grumping at people for their laziness anymore. (it neither breaks my arm nor picks my pocket)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:08:34 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: November 25, 2017, 02:10:07 am »

Recently, my father has taken up bread-making. A technique he's picked up is mixing in "water roux", a sort of paste used to make the bread moister, which he refers to as "tangzhong". He claims it was invented in Japan in the early 2000s.

This does not sound right to me, on two accounts:

- "Tangzhong", to my understanding, is not a Japanese word. The closest you can get would be something like "tanguzongu". Even Chinese loanwords get either vowels or an "n" on the end.
- It's basically water and flour mixed together in a different ratio than the bread, which is then mixed in. There is no way something that simple is less than 20 years old.

I searched for it, but all I could find were bloggers more concerned about the preparation and eating of the bread than its origin and forum posts parroting third-hand knowledge, which could never agree on an origin--some said Japan, some said Taiwan, I think I saw a Korea claim or two. The most reliable-sounding thing I found was a New York Times article claiming it was "traditionally used in China," which sounds about right; the article is a recipe for a Japanese bread apparently from the 20th century, but I still can't find a rough date for the roux itself. Does anyone know where this stuff was invented and when?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:14 am »

I call rubbish on it.  Here is why.

1) Bread starter == Flour and water that has been allowed to grow wild yeasts.  It is as old as bread itself.  It will have the same consistency as this "water roux" he speaks of.
2) Adding moisture to bread dough to control dough consistency (usually in 1tsp at a time increments, due to how sensitive to moisture content bread dough is) is as old as the process of making bread itself. You can find dark age recipes for bread that have such instructions for alterations as needed.
3) CONSIDERABLE experimentation with bread manufacture occurred in dark age europe, especially in France, in the 1400s. See the evolution of Brioche, for instance.

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 637