Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687448 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3735 on: May 21, 2017, 08:06:49 pm »

I want five-dollar coins, because I like coins. Anything less than one dollar is worthless at this point.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:19 pm »

I would fairly cheerfully stab someone trying to replace paper money with coinage, tbh. Stuff's clumsy enough to use when you can fold it up and stuff it somewhere, no need to make that both functionally impossible and weigh enough to pull pants down.

It'll probably end up mostly digital in the near-ish future, though, even moreso than it has now. Stuff could probably occasionally kneecap your grandmother and the convenience of it would still win out in the end.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »

Eventually it'll all be credit chips, like Star Wars or something. Anonymous debit cards with a $100 load limit or something, and NFC (or fancy future hack/counterfeit-proof NFC) for easier transfers between individuals.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: May 21, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »

I find it doubtful that physical tender will ever disappear. There's simply no such thing as "hack proof", and of course, if the Federal Reserve invoked Damnation of Memory tomorrow it would just get replaced by a commodities trade.

I suppose in dystopic futures the government could make commodity trade illegal, but about five cents of looking at the Tide Economy shows how well that'd go. The War on Drugs would look like Prohibition by comparison.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: May 21, 2017, 10:45:26 pm »

*shrugs* Physical tender's already cheerfully dropping in use in plenty of areas. It probably won't entirely disappear, sure, but it will be very much unsurprising if it marginalizes to a very significant degree.

Though the hack proof thing is a bit of a red herring, really. There's no such thing as theft proof, either, but despite loss of who knows how much legal tender, people still invest their savings in something someone can just walk up and walk off with, with little to no barrier to re-use.

What'll decide it isn't security, but convenience, and there's largely a lower logistics and effort footprint for the consumer side on just about every front with digital. Same is true for the producer and distributors, far as I'm aware... the accounting et al issues involved with digital are approaching farcically lower than currency stuff. Companies are already looking at man hours and resources involved and trying to cut down on paper transactions, from what I recall. With all sides of the economic arena coming out ahead time/whatever wise, you can pretty much guarantee digital's going to win out, eventually.

Still going to be a while, though. Infrastructure to settle into the necessary channels to make the setup effort trivial, more cementation into social norms to use non-cash mediums, that sort of thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: May 21, 2017, 10:54:25 pm »

I like physical tender solely for the reason that I have to deal psychologically with handing over something of value. With a card I still understand intellectually that I just handed over $35, but I get my piece of plastic back. It doesn't have the same weight as handing over bills, and I spend a little more freely as a result. Not to a financially dangerous degree, but more than I would like when I look over my bank statements at the end of the year. That, and it's infinitely more satisfying to be handed something of value than to just know that it's in my account now. I try to get paper paychecks and convert as many small bills into $1 coins as I possibly can for similar reasons.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:10 am »

Is there any way to search for your posts (or just your username) in a single thread?
The forum lets you search threads, but it only picks up your username if someone else quotes you or mentions it, so it isn't all that helpful. Advanced search doesn't seem to help at all, I don't think. Can you do some sort of custom google search?   
Answer my question you dungnuggets! I want to dig up all my Dream thread posts. :c
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:26 am »

Is there any way to search for your posts (or just your username) in a single thread?
The forum lets you search threads, but it only picks up your username if someone else quotes you or mentions it, so it isn't all that helpful. Advanced search doesn't seem to help at all, I don't think. Can you do some sort of custom google search?   
Answer my question you dungnuggets! I want to dig up all my Dream thread posts. :c
I know that's possible in some PHPBB forums, but I have no idea how it's done with SMF. A quick look at the wiki tells me that it might not be implemented in SMF. :-\
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: May 22, 2017, 11:23:36 am »

*shrugs* Physical tender's already cheerfully dropping in use in plenty of areas. It probably won't entirely disappear, sure, but it will be very much unsurprising if it marginalizes to a very significant degree.

Though the hack proof thing is a bit of a red herring, really. There's no such thing as theft proof, either, but despite loss of who knows how much legal tender, people still invest their savings in something someone can just walk up and walk off with, with little to no barrier to re-use.

What'll decide it isn't security, but convenience, and there's largely a lower logistics and effort footprint for the consumer side on just about every front with digital. Same is true for the producer and distributors, far as I'm aware... the accounting et al issues involved with digital are approaching farcically lower than currency stuff. Companies are already looking at man hours and resources involved and trying to cut down on paper transactions, from what I recall. With all sides of the economic arena coming out ahead time/whatever wise, you can pretty much guarantee digital's going to win out, eventually.

Still going to be a while, though. Infrastructure to settle into the necessary channels to make the setup effort trivial, more cementation into social norms to use non-cash mediums, that sort of thing.

So far in this glorious future I've had to worry about the risk of international petty thieves stealing my money, where I used to worry exclusively about domestic petty thieves.

I still like the internet, but I think its mismanaged by the current managers. Sadly, the current groups of wannabe managers will probably provide a different kind of mismanagement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: May 26, 2017, 08:49:07 am »

How bad is it to have your heart stop even if you are revived?

In media people always seem to be no more worse for wear after going through such a thing but I always assumed that... Well... it is extremely taxing on the body to have the heart stop and that you aren't just "better" 5 seconds after being revived.

But for all I know the heart stopping for like a minute is perfectly fine.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:07 am »

Give a gander for cardioversion aftereffects. Major side effects seem to be relatively rare, but stuff like breathing pains, somewhat irregular heartbeat, and suchlike, seem a bit more common. Near as I can tell, you might be able to get up and move, but you're probably not going to be very happy about it and recommendation is pretty strong to avoid doing much for a couple weeks, as well as no driving for a few days. Doesn't help most methods we have are not exactly unlikely to cause their own damages. Broken ribs from CPR or burns from a fib are things, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: May 27, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »

So I was looking into Parrot dancing and why they do it, and apparently they are one of the few animals that can "truly" dance.

Which they suppose might have evolved from their mimicking ability in that their ability to understand and replicate sounds lets them understand rhythm and beat.

So I was like "Well do humans mimic?" and looking into it, yeah. We typically don't mimic animal sounds, well, because we don't need to... Yet we do seem to also try to imitate behaviors around us, regardless of it being human or some other animal.

So in terms of the animal kingdom where are we in terms of being mimics?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: May 27, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »

Having had a cat, I say humans have a considerable impulse to mimic :P
I mean...  At least some of us >.>

A family friend who had a parrot though, too.  She mimicked the bird almost as much as it mimicked her.
Not to mention all the art/culture/spirituality based around imitating animals.

I would say we're at the top, but mockingbirds are pretty incredible.  Parrots and dogs too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: May 27, 2017, 10:41:23 pm »

Now I feel like dancing.

Related question: what are your favourite dance moves?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: May 27, 2017, 10:57:17 pm »

I've always liked disco
The dancing, not the music.  Well.  Not as much.

Spoiler: Edit (Erfworld) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:12:17 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 637