Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687787 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3705 on: May 13, 2017, 02:51:40 am »

There's that horrible post-future one featuring will smith from a few years ago

After Earth or some shit.  Really terrible movie-- theoretically takes place on "whole planet", since "Whole planet" is out to kill humans.. or something.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: May 13, 2017, 10:20:16 am »

Yea, but it's not exactly horror...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: May 13, 2017, 10:21:49 am »

There is: Alone in the Dark

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: May 13, 2017, 06:43:30 pm »

Season of the Witch? Daybreakers? That awful sequel to 100 Days of Night? Haunting In Conneticut (only partially counts)?   
Man, I don't watch nearly as many horror films as I should. Or movies in general, really. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:26 am »

So I fixed my old Desktop problem (I have to reset explorer)

Yet here is my new problem and it is rather recent.

Whenever my computer goes to standby or sleep OR my monitor is shut off...

And then I move my mouse or keyboard to activate it again (or turn on my monitor) it takes a while for the monitor to start up again... All the while the power button for the monitor is yellow and flashing. In fact my monitor is technically flickering between black and another black. Sometimes it can take so long that I've reset, I don't know if it could ever load up again (as I've waited an hour or longer before).

All the while this is happening the computer is actually already technically loaded and everything is working... I just can't see any of it because my Monitor doesn't show it. This problem doesn't happen when I boot up my computer.

I haven't changed my computer... so it might be due to a recent update.

I've had to tell my computer not to sleep anymore but I can't just leave my computer on all day...

---

My only guess is it MIGHT have something to do with this "Adaptive sleep Service" (it has been causing problems) but I can't seem to turn it off.

edit: Yep it was Adaptive Sleep Service

It is a AMD program that they test on people who own the program. On Desktops it causes serious problems.

It would just start up whenever possible so it had to be outright deleted and hopefully it won't come back.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:03:33 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: May 14, 2017, 08:09:27 am »

Nope didn't solve the problem... it is something else... ERRR!!!

I swear it is a problem either with the windows update or with AMD

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:58 am »

If garbage are the only examples, sure.

Well, I guess World War Z would qualify then?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: May 16, 2017, 07:26:42 am »

I guess the problem with protagonists not being constrained in location is logically they'd just bugger off from the murderplanet or murdertown and the film would be over.

I suppose there's a few films, like It Follows where the protagonists aren't stuck by location, but I don't think they travel around much.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:52 am »

I guess the problem with protagonists not being constrained in location is logically they'd just bugger off from the murderplanet or murdertown and the film would be over.

I suppose there's a few films, like It Follows where the protagonists aren't stuck by location, but I don't think they travel around much.

The major problem is both budget AND you want to ground the audience in a location.

Sure there are horrors where the implication is that the events involve the entire world. Yet even those tend to be constrained to a single location.

Heck there are some horror movies where everything takes place in a single room.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:40 am »

i think it is probably a combination of all 3 features.

1) Budget
2) There's added horror from the "cannot escape confined space" angle.
3) Short audience attention span/Need to ground audience in a locale.

Now, I really WOULD like to see some kind of cosmic horror based flick, where the schtick is that the horror is not constrained by normal space or time, and all "suitable" locales are equally "distant" for it, meaning it can instantly been in any of them, or all of them, at will. Due to problem 3, (and to an extent, problem 1) this schtick needs to have a very well defined criterion for "suitable locale"-- say, "Any place in complete darkness" or "Anywhere there is fog", etc.  This would play into #2, as there is added horror from being in an inescapable enclosed space. (The fog is naturally scary, as is the dark, for similar reasons.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:42 am »

Definitely can think of a few videogames... hmm into the mouth of madness? Ehh never seen it so I shouldn't recommend.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »

What is the normal emotional response to someone in authority telling you that you shouldn't do something that you accidentally did?

I know that one of the symptoms of autism is that you take even the lightest of criticisms and reprimands badly.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:14:47 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: May 19, 2017, 08:56:13 pm »

A little bit of panic is likely, some embarrassment as well, sometimes a bit of anger, exasperation is also a possibility, a sense of confusion as well.  People are complicated.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »

A little bit of panic is likely, some embarrassment as well, sometimes a bit of anger, exasperation is also a possibility, a sense of confusion as well.  People are complicated.

Just checking to see if I am overly sensitive or if this is a normal amount of emotion.

Yep I am really overly sensitive.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: May 20, 2017, 10:17:15 am »

The way I see it, is that it's a matter of perspective. To humans, humans would be superior to other animals, because our duty as a human being is to aid in the advancement of our species. To an animal, their own species would also be superior to us. As in, a tiger would probably save another tiger over a human.

So basically, we're not objectively superior to animals, but because we're humans, we should treat ourselves as if we are.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 637