Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687622 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3630 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »

... it would appear at least one thing you'd want to check out is something called "skeeter pee". Or possibly not after learning the drink you're looking for is named mosquito piss.

It's apparent possible to use lemon juice in the fermentation process, though it looks like some dilution is generally called for.

My Mom makes skeeter pee, and its delicious.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3631 on: April 27, 2017, 02:28:58 am »

Throwing this one here since I got zilch over in the happy thread. Probably more fitting here anyways. Anywho!

So I found a DSLR camera at the thrift store today yesterday! Picked it up for a song, it's an Olympus from 2006 or 2007 or so. Yeah, it's old, but it came with two batteries and everything seems snappy. I have no lenses and no adapters for it, sadly. Not yet, anyways.

Question, then, is this- It's got 7.6 megapixels or so, but as I understand it, that's mostly affecting resolution more than anything. Will you get finer, more detailed pictures with more resolution, or is there a certain measure of quality outside of resolution that makes a fine picture? Like, I know you can get some cool effects and pictures with various lenses, but my phone's got 15MP just for example. Excluding focal length, FOV, etc etc., is the DSLR going to keep up for taking nice pictures, or is the (relatively) low megapixels kind of damning in this day and age?

Frankly, Olympus is like the only flavor of camera that I haven't been bumping around with- I've got minolta cameras and a lot of Pentax lenses. I've wanted to play around with a DSLR for a while, but I'unno if the follow-up costs for adapters and memory sticks and whatever is going to be worth it if the thing's just obsolete by now.

I don't think that'll make too much of a difference. You'll still get images at pretty high pixel count (although I can't be bothered to do the maths properly, I think it should be order of 3k x 2.3k or therabouts), and that's all the megapixel count matters for. You won't be selling A3 prints, but it'll look fine on a screen.

The size of the sensor and the quality of the bits of glass you stick in front of it make a lot more difference (not to mention the quality of the person behind the camera). DSLR cameras have a much larger sensor than cellphone cameras and much, much better lenses, which is why people still take potato phone pictures with their ultrasuperHDest cameras.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:47 pm »

I've been slowly losing my mind over about three weeks trying to find a noun that can serve as a close antonym of "urbanization". Essentially, a single word that represents the proportion of people not living in cities.

"Ruralization" or "rurality" of course sound dumb and completely made up, and I've thought of other things like "agraianism" which sounds like a bizarre political ideology. "Agraria" would be a pretentious fake-word to use, and "pastoralism" has specific connotations of animal breeding and herding. There are dozens of others I've come across intermittently searching through online thesauruses, but haven't found any nouns that match this concept. "Rural dispersion" is the dry phrase I've just about settled on, but I'm not enthusiastic about it. At this point I'd take words that aren't even English if they're a noun that succinctly and closely matches this meaning.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: April 28, 2017, 12:15:21 am »

Warhammer 40K question: How does Imperium of Man treat LGBT people? I think it's either "extermination" or "not enough info"...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: April 28, 2017, 12:39:01 am »

The Imperium is often hell in general, but there is no specific focus against LGBT folk. For all it takes the aesthetics of Catholicism, the Imperial Cult is a human-focused religion and does not seem to proscribe sexual or gender categories, at least no more than it proscribes anything else we might consider a religious issue.

The Imperium as a whole is divided into disparate societies and cultures, all of whom are likely to have different opinions on these things. The culture of "the Imperium" is generally in reference to the cosmopolitan galactic culture of the Imperium's spacer and planetary capital populations. These folk are often, by Imperial standards, educated and more aware of the horrifying alien threats that are faced on all sides. Such people are unlikely to view gender or sexuality in an ideological light, as they are at a level of civilization where any concerns about that don't have a real effect on anything.

Planetary cultures are likely to respond based on local prejudices or lack thereof. Feral or feudal worlds are a complete wash, much as it was in our own history. Some places, like hive factory habs, probably put drugs in the water to make people breed or not breed, depending upon what the management requires. Civilized or paradise worlds are probably the most likely to have anything resembling modern tolerance of multiple lifestyles, in LGBT or in anything else.

However, what the Imperium definitely has is a dirth of culture, which is a large part of why it's so horrible (the other part is your painful death). As such, even conceiving of how a particular social group is treated is something that's just not possible for many worlds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:41:09 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:52 pm »

Is there a story out there about advanced aliens or gods coming to earth in peace and the story is more about how earth and the aliens respond to one another rather then being about a "Us versus them story... Also the aliens and gods must be here to live on earth to some extent.

So I don't mean like... a story about where super advanced aliens are welcoming humanity to a greater galactic empire or anything and send a representative who comes and goes... or where earth is given a galactic telephone.

I mean where they actually are either trying to uplift people or want to attempt peaceful coexistence.

Preferably where humans aren't drinking evil juice and eating evil cookies.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:05:21 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:36 pm »

Technically Gate is that. Technically?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: April 28, 2017, 10:13:52 pm »

Most I can say is I have ran in to a sci-fi book or two over the years with that as either the main or a side plot. Problem being over the years and a book or two. I can't remember a name or particularly distinguishing feature to save my life. And it was probably bargain bin/thrift store quarter (i.e. 25 cent) random crap.

When it comes to sci-fi, those or short stories have most any general conceit or plot point you care to think about, it's just that the last copy of whatever you're looking for is rotting in a Utah landfill or somethin' and no one -- often enough not even the author, assuming they're still alive -- remembers it existed. "Did the story exist" is usually a question with an affirmative answer when it comes to fiction. Finding it again is the sketchy bit.

Want to say I might have ran into fanfiction along those lines, too, actually. Primarily character driven or episodic something or other that largely didn't have overarching/background conflict, stuff like that. Just... remembering where amongst the thousands of bits I've read ain't gonna happen. Maybe poke around Culture related stuff?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:15:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »

At the risk of sounding needlessly pedantic, you say "ran" instead of "run" twice.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:16 pm »

Hey, It could totally happen-- Somebody leaves the book slightly out of place on the shelf, as Frumple barrels through the library/bookstore, and BAM--

How else to describe that other than "Ran into" eh? ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: April 30, 2017, 08:06:34 am »

How do some vegetables and fruit have "In season" in the winter?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:18 am »

There's some stuff you can just leave out on the field and harvest as you need it. Also air transport from warmer countries.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: April 30, 2017, 09:06:52 am »

I've been slowly losing my mind over about three weeks trying to find a noun that can serve as a close antonym of "urbanization". Essentially, a single word that represents the proportion of people not living in cities.

"Ruralization" or "rurality" of course sound dumb and completely made up, and I've thought of other things like "agraianism" which sounds like a bizarre political ideology. "Agraria" would be a pretentious fake-word to use, and "pastoralism" has specific connotations of animal breeding and herding. There are dozens of others I've come across intermittently searching through online thesauruses, but haven't found any nouns that match this concept. "Rural dispersion" is the dry phrase I've just about settled on, but I'm not enthusiastic about it. At this point I'd take words that aren't even English if they're a noun that succinctly and closely matches this meaning.

Urbanization is a process, not a description of the groups living in cities. Its antonym is just "Deurbanization" (the spread of people out of cities into rural areas)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »

When you verify it creates a temporary download command that should stay at 0/0 until it finishes, at which point it will redownload any files that failed to verify. The instant finishing is probably just it being smart enough that recognize that it already has a 0/0 download process to represent the verification up and running, so it doesn't have any more work to do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:23 pm »

Why is it when I am just about to get better after being sick... I get all hot and often sweaty?

I'd think that would be something that would happen before.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 637