Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687675 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3075 on: December 06, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »

A physical object piercing an organ is different than blunt force disrupting an organ, even after accounting for the layers of skin/fat/bone shielding.
Blunt force is pretty OP though as far as I can tell...  Less so in practice, apparently.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3076 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:06 am »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:49:20 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:59 am »

Ok... Here is a question

What is an Edge Lord?

I don't mean its literal translation mind you (which I am sure is quite nastly... like Wanker is)... But what do people mean when they say it?

It seems to be used whenever talking about sad people, but people who are sad because they are stupid idiots or who seem to invite bad things.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:01 am »

It is a person who believes that they have finally seen the Cruel Reality of Thingstm, and believes fervently that they're the only one who has. The type of person who tells you some conventionally known horrible thing like they're opening your eyes, and expects you to instantly start thinking like them. In short, a fourteen year-old who has discovered that the world is not all sunshine and rainbows and for some reason thinks that everybody else still thinks it is.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: December 08, 2016, 10:27:04 am »

I'll just leave the definition of "Edgy" as presented by fictional character Daria Morgendorffer:

"As far as I can make out, edgy occurs when middlebrow, middle-aged profiteers are looking to suck the energy -- not to mention the spending money -- out of the "youth culture." So they come up with this fake concept of seeming to be dangerous when every move they make is the result of market research and a corporate master plan."

Avis's definition works too, in fact, sticks to the point even more.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:34 pm »

Edge Lord cannot be described to you, it must be shown. It must be felt, to truly understand Edge Lord is to be Edgy yourself.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: December 10, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »

I consider "edgy" to mean pointlessly dark or violent content or behavior, often to the point of amusement. My favorite examples of the latter are My Immortal and Coldsteel the Hedgehog; traditional, non-amusing "edigness" is anything with the same tone attempted by those works, but with none of the ridiculous and possibly satirical panache that makes the examples so enjoyable.

I was viewing the illustrations of the Carta Marina when I realized I have no clue what the circles with the lines in them in the ocean are for. Can a more experienced cartographer enlighten me?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3082 on: December 10, 2016, 06:34:06 pm »

On the outside edges you can see numbers that indicate longitude and latitude. The circles must be reference points for navigating seeing that the lines connect directly to coordinate numbers in places, the geometric (if you connect the circles from their centers as if to form edges you'd see it forms a kite shape) way in which they are arranged, and how they are strategically placed on featureless open sea. Perhaps the enclosures the lines form are sectors for reference. The three circles that are placed out on the ocean seem to be placed in such a way as to keep the sectors of relatively the same size for as far out to sea as possible within the context of the map.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: December 13, 2016, 07:54:21 am »

Ok here is a difficult question to answer

Is having Amnesia like not having Amnesia?

One thing that writers often do to depict amnesia is they either make it so characters feel like their brains have been sucked out slightly by a straw... Or they are so much in a daze that everything passes them by.

Yet... I've had Amnesia before (It is "During the accident Amnesia" so everything from a few seconds before the accident to... mostly after it... Is all.. Messed up... YES Amnesia can leave you with incomplete or inaccurate memories) and it isn't even either of those.

To admit... my first memory is also of me having Amnesia... I woke up knowing absolutely nothing about the day before and only knowing the significance of things around me and how to navigate... and to admit I was perplexed but then again I was being overwhelmed by coming downstairs and seeing a large bunch of people for essentially the first time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: December 13, 2016, 08:36:07 am »

I just found out only 17% of Americans sleep naked... and a surprising number of them actually sleep fully clothed (majority apperantly).

As someone who sleeps without clothes... I am surprised... Is there something that clothes supply?

Yes I have TWO questions... I am just crazy that way...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: December 13, 2016, 08:43:06 am »

The Daria definition doesn't really work with how edgy is used in modern times, I'd say. If anything it'd work as a definition for 'cool' or 'trendy'.

Avis's definition is more how I understand the term to be used. Ala, 'Don't cut yourself with all that edginess m8'.
One does not tell Allah not to cut himself with his edginess. Allah cuts you.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:05 am »

For the clothes thing, it really depends on how cold it is.  I don't like to run the heat when I don't have to, and cold shoulders are uncomfortable, so I'll sleep in sweaters and such.  The only bothersome part is socks.  Help keep the feet warm at night, but too warm and they get gross quick.  I'll sleep in jeans, too, when the air is cold and the jeans are so broken in they aren't a problem.

That's just for the coldest bits of winter, though.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: December 13, 2016, 09:42:05 am »

... beyond habit, it's mostly just a matter of convenience, to me. I don't live in a house of nudists, so walking around without clothes isn't exactly kosher and sleeping without means another step between getting out of bed and doing something else. House coat of some sort would be a least-step, I guess, but I like to let those hang loose when I wear 'em so... yeah. Regardless, it's a step I can avoid by just... wearing something when I sleep. Shirt, underwear of some sort that can double as housewear, that sort of thing. Also means I mostly only really have to bother with paying attention to clothes when I shower (or go somewhere, I guess, but I usually shower before I go places, so...), which is yet another thing-I-don't-have-to-deal-with.

Times I've tried in the past it was pretty uncomfortable, anyway. Heat, clothes help keep the sticky off the skin, there's this whole... environment thing that likes to stick things places clothes stop things from sticking, that still exists in most houses. So on, so forth. Maybe if this state had some kind of in between season where it wasn't cool enough to warrant something but not humid enough light clothing doesn't make things better, it'd be more enticing, I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3088 on: December 13, 2016, 11:21:23 am »

Let's say that I want to be able to inform all my online friends in the event that I die. How should I go about setting that up?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: December 13, 2016, 11:25:17 am »

A deadman's switch, where you need to "check in" regularly to prevent something from happening.  Looks like there is such a service here: https://www.deadmansswitch.net/

Edit:  Though there are probably free versions, and you could pretty easily set up a script (or a cron thing on linux) to do it for you.  Assuming you have a machine you can rely on to be running.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 637