Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 869197 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3030 on: December 04, 2016, 06:14:11 am »

I make a loose fist with one hand, then place the other over it. After that, it's just a matter of pushing the fingers in towards the palm.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: December 04, 2016, 06:31:42 am »

I make a loose fist with one hand, then place the other over it. After that, it's just a matter of pushing the fingers in towards the palm.
Whoooa
That's an even more thug way of doing it
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:17 pm »

Was Grubbin (the bug pokemon from the current pokemon games) named after gubbin (the slang term for small bits and pieces of little value/electrical detritus)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: December 04, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »

Ok saw the dumbest thing I ever seen in a movie and it MUST not be true.

In Public schools you are allowed to pray right?

The Prayer ban is more that the PA and teachers cannot say prayers in front of you or make you do it.

This movie is the dumbest thing I ever saw... >_< Seriously damn you Christian movies! I swear you are made by people who HATE Christians and try to paint them in the worst light possible.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:00:13 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »

If you're talking in context of the US, so long as you're not being disruptive, sure. The prayer ban type stuff's about nixing junk related to the school itself (so no mandatory prayer, limited icons or whatev' (or at the very least not being exclusionary about it -- if the commandments are up there, baphomet can be, too, et al) , etc.).

Teachers can pray in front of you, too, really. Just can't require the students to, or punish them if they don't, do it specifically in relation to their school duties (unless appropriate to a particular class's curriculum, I guess), so on, so forth. Closest they can get to it is a moment of silence type stuff or somethin' along those lines. Teacher's still an individual and citizen with the rights and privileges thereto, they're just also a public servant with some extra responsibilities regarding how they exercise some of 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: December 04, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »

and yet you're commanded to say "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, blah blah one nation under god"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: December 04, 2016, 04:23:18 pm »

Yeah, that's the pledge. Bit different sort of thing, somehow or another. Blame McCarthy.

Not actually commanded, though -- it's perfectly okay to leave out the under god bit, and trying to correct or punish a student for doing that can net the school a cheerful little lawsuit, these days. You can just not say it all, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: December 04, 2016, 04:37:20 pm »

It has been established jurisprudence since 1943 that students (nor anybody else) may not be compelled to recite the pledge of allegiance under the ruling of West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette. This case has been cited and reaffirmed as recently as 2006 under Frazier v. Smith.

I for my part spent half of high school refusing the pledge because I didn't feel like it, and half of it reciting the pre-Under God version instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: December 04, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »

So did I. The issue is that by the time you get there you've already said it at least a thousand times because nobody said anything about it being optional.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: December 04, 2016, 04:58:55 pm »

That's really more on your parents, honestly. It'd be a rare school that said "eh yo, shits optional", though a parental permission slip version of that is what set off the Fraizer case. I know some districts just don't do it at all, even in elementary schools.

People under the age of 14 are basically automatons anyway, so it's not surprising they just go along with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: December 04, 2016, 07:01:17 pm »

Does anyone here know about swords?
I've seen straight swords with this weird fan shaped tip in several games.  And since it seems a bit impractical compared to having a normal point,I've been wondering if such things actually exist and how they are called if they are actually real.

Here's a drawing symbolizing the kind of sword tip:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: December 04, 2016, 07:14:21 pm »

I haven't seen any real world weapon like that, and it doesn't seem particularly useful for fighting or even as a tool.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: December 04, 2016, 07:20:12 pm »

Seems like it would upset balance as well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: December 04, 2016, 08:05:07 pm »

There was at least one made, actually. Looking around a bit more to see if there's a name for the things.

Though as for a why, the likely design principles was probably something akin to hook swords. The tip would be used to pull, tangle, etc.

E: Ah ha. Give a search for kuba swords. Seems at least one sort of sword that uses the shape to one degree or another.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:10:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 647