Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687656 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2520 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:34 pm »

I think AWS pretty much does that (an EC2 instance, I think. As it happens, my sister works on those!). And I think you can get a certain level of lightweight processing for very little.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 10, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »

Where do I start with getting into battletech proper. I mean as in the stuff besides the mechwarrior games. Like the books and the tabletop and such
It's FEF, not FEOF

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 10, 2016, 02:52:08 pm »

Where do I start with getting into battletech proper. I mean as in the stuff besides the mechwarrior games. Like the books and the tabletop and such

If you want to play on PC, get the MegaMek first! You can also play it in multiplayer, rulesets and everything are 100% adjustable and moddable.

Also check out the great BT wiki, Sarna.net

I've never played the actual tabletop game, cant help much with it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 15, 2016, 11:58:06 am »

So, I'm off to uni in a few weeks time and need a laptop.

Anyone got any recommendations? A lot of stuff I'm seeing in the lists I've looked up seem to be Apple-style 'Looks flashy QED good for the price' things. I'm looking for something that can run at least some games, but nothing too expensive or powerful. Also needs to have a decent battery life.
I'm currently using an ASUS K555L w/ Geforce 920M and i5-5200U I got on the cheap. Can run modern games, at least those not heavy on eyecandy, but don't expect to run everything on High. Can't opine on battery life, I'm using it on constant life support most of the time.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 15, 2016, 12:27:56 pm »

Has anybody here tried using a moka pot to extract something other than coffee? For example, tea or cocoa? Yeah, I know the manual says not to, but I'm still somewhat curious.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 15, 2016, 12:34:21 pm »

Cocoa sounds like business though. Tea, on the other hand, does not.

Got no experience, just looked up moka pot on wikipedia and giving you a piece of mind.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 15, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »

So, I'm off to uni in a few weeks time and need a laptop.

Anyone got any recommendations? A lot of stuff I'm seeing in the lists I've looked up seem to be Apple-style 'Looks flashy QED good for the price' things. I'm looking for something that can run at least some games, but nothing too expensive or powerful. Also needs to have a decent battery life.
I'm currently using an ASUS K555L w/ Geforce 920M and i5-5200U I got on the cheap. Can run modern games, at least those not heavy on eyecandy, but don't expect to run everything on High. Can't opine on battery life, I'm using it on constant life support most of the time.
Could you get a page for it? As it stands google's not pulling up anything other than ASUS drivers for that.
It seems like I caught one on the tail end of the stock, most of those are sold out now. You might try your luck with the replacements, but I only follow the changes when its time to buy a replacment.

That's assuming you want new. I found some refurbs - those are usually a great deal, AFAIK they are required by law to perform exactly as brand-news - but it's still three hundred something quid down the drain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 19, 2016, 07:49:46 am »

Is there a way to stop a game from being updated on Steam?

Got Rimworld, got mods, want the mods to update BEFORE I go onto the next version. Checking properties only gives me 'Always keep the game up to date' 'Only update the game when launched' and 'High priority-update game before others'

Select "only update game when launched" and then remember to launch from shortcut or directly from .exe instead of within Steam UI.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 20, 2016, 12:15:42 pm »

How do I delete my account from the forum?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 20, 2016, 07:03:46 pm »

How do I delete my account from the forum?
Wait, why do you ask?
Don't do that. I hope you're not planning on doing that. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 20, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »

Jeez, this is a bit belated. Book wise, I can tell you most of 'em seem pretty self-contained. There's trilogies/series and an overarching history, but generally you can just pick up any of them and not really have much in the way of problem. I... can't really say more than that, because I think it's been well over a decade since I last read a BTech novel and I can't even remember any names, much less which one to recommend starting with, but... yeah. I just jumped into whatever I could find in the bookstore when I was younger, and it didn't seem to hurt enjoyment et al much, if at all. So just get whatever if you're not acquiring the entire btech library in one go. Can't recall much, but I don't remember any of what I read (maybe a half dozen to a dozen of the books?) being particularly terrible, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue on that front.

... there's also some pretty nice fanfics out there, if you're into that sort of thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »

Hoi, can somebody who's played both Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall help me over here?
If I have the option to get only one of those at this time, should I pick up Returns, or go straight for Dragonfall?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:36 pm »

That's a tough decision. I'd say go for Dragonfall. It's a larger and more polished game; the formula's been refined in it. Also, riggers OP HBS pls nerf

There's not much continuity between the games in the series, so you won't be missing anything by skipping Returns. Dragonfall is a great place to start.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:13 am »

Why does bay12forums.com go to Bay12Games homepage, but bay12forums.com/smf goes to the forum?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 637