Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 857249 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2505 on: August 02, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »

Oh, I think you know! :D
I broke 200 recently I guess, 36 hours worth ago.  Might have been while I was on family hiking trip.
200-day celebration has joined post-trip celebration and become:  Causality-spurning ohgod-my-muscles-and-skin-hurt MLP and Vampire Beerapalooza!

Everybody is welcome at this e-party [what is this, the 90's?]

Though more seriously, when I'm feeling sentimental about this stupid forum, I make lazy edits in paint or gimp.  Like

Haha, nice! Shouldn't it be holding a keg or case of beer, though? :P

I guess I'll be drinking to Bay12 in a few hours, then. I actually do have half a slab o' beer in the fridge, whice is nice.
Just wish I had internet connected here so I could access the forum on something other than this phone...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 02, 2016, 10:19:26 pm »

Defying gravity makes it funnier funier
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 03, 2016, 09:56:37 pm »

202 days here. Giv booz. Except not because I'm 19 and live in freedomland.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 08, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »

So according to Japanese mythology/folklore

There were apperantly a group of "Mountain people" who are basically "barbarians" who were driven into the mountains by the Japanese once they reached a certain level of sophistication.

The odd part is in spite depicting the Mountain People... like they are monsters (even so far that JRPGs sometimes use them as monsters... in fact one depicts them as zombies)... Heck Naruto features them even giving them bloodline powers before bloodline powers existed.

They feel like they really could be... real... Which begs a LOT of really odd questions. It also wouldn't be the first time something in mythology/folklore was real just explained differently such as Changelings which are children with Downsyndrome (and other ailments) explained as Fairies impersonating their babies... and... often killed... in cruel ways... In fact... that is the way they suggest dealing with them.

So... Were they real at all?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »

Probably not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 08, 2016, 02:26:05 pm »

Given historical Japan's xenophobia it's difficult to tell if there is any specific tribe they drove off.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:33 pm »

Sorta ironic, since I think the ancient Chinese considered the Japanese to be uncivilized mountain people.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 08, 2016, 02:44:15 pm »

Might be a sort of (albeit thickly) veiled reference to the Ainu people.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 08, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »

It was probably just sasquatches, anyway.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:24 am »

Suppose I need a program to be running for A Really Long Time on a server, without being interrupted or restarted. It also needs to be accessible to the Internet at large, from a consistent URL or IP address. For simplicity's sake pretend it's a chatroom or something. What exactly is the service that I'm looking for called?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:11 am »

A bad idea. You can't just assume that things can just run for long amounts of time without breaking down at some point.

More seriously, you're looking for a web hoster to run the service, and (if you want more than just an IP address) a domain name registrar to purchase and maintain a domain name so you can make the service available on the Internet under that name.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:18 am »

A bad idea. You can't just assume that things can just run for long amounts of time without breaking down at some point.

More seriously, you're looking for a web hoster to run the service, and (if you want more than just an IP address) a domain name registrar to purchase and maintain a domain name so you can make the service available on the Internet under that name.
Yeeeeup.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 10, 2016, 11:38:00 am »

Is no restarting a hard requirement, or do you just need it to be available as much as reasonably possible?  If it's allowed to restart then most web hosts will do, but you'll have to find one to fit the technology stack you're trying to use.  If it's just web pages then that shouldn't be hard at all, but web pages usually don't care if you lose state or history when the system restarts, so I'm guessing you don't mean something this simple.

If what you're talking about is something like a computationally intensive simulation that needs to run for long periods of times and allow you to check up on its progress through a website, then you're probably not going to find a public service that will readily do what you want.  Your best bet would probably be to get a virtualized instance of Linux or whatever OS you want (pretty sure Amazon offers something like this but I don't know the name of the service), write your software to run with the idea of checkpointing by writing out its state periodically, and have it support restarting from a checkpoint file.

More details on precisely what you're trying to accomplish would help.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:43 pm »

There's a reason that things like Folding At Home save their state to disk a lot.  Pretty much anything that takes over an hour of computation should be saving to disk periodically, not relying on RAM.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 647