Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687781 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2145 on: March 22, 2016, 07:15:57 am »

Where in the cell are proteins folded/combined to get their tertiary and quaternary structures?
Cytoplasm, primarily. In some cases, they may not achieve their final conformation there yet; for example, certain types of translocation through membranes in bacteria works only for unfolded proteins, which then assume their structure... wherever.

Proteins are usually not so much folded as they simply are folding. The structure is largely a function of their makeup and the environment.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 27, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »

Does anyone know of a program like this? Really seems like it ought to be out there but I'm not even sure how to search for it.
I want a program that will let me create a bunch of "pages" or entries that consist of a picture and some text and/or customizable labeled data boxes that can be filled in (like name, date, location, etc.).
I also want it to automatically organize these into a list, and be able to sort the list into subcategories and see at a glance how many entries are in each subcategory. The more drag-and-drop-y the better, since I'm really limited in how much I can type right now.

…Basically I'm picturing something similar to a Pokédex, but for things that aren't Pokémon.

Spoiler: what I want it for (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 27, 2016, 03:44:06 pm »

I'm... pretty sure Microsoft Access can do that (or at least I could manage to do it with Access after I fiddled around a bit and reminded myself how the hell the thing works), so you're probably looking for database software. More than that, I couldn't help you with, as I'm not terribly experienced with the stuff.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:46:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »

I just ran into this little thing that bugs me - I was fooling around with Adobe Photoshop CC, and I couldn't use clone stamp tool because whenever I tried to pick source area by holding alt and clicking on some place, it wouldn't do the trick. Am I doing it wrong? Maybe some function I could toggle earlier that would prevent me from using clone stamp properly?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 27, 2016, 09:52:42 pm »

What's the most-effective non-lethal way to ensure that Cats don't consume any Chickens?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 27, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »

Remove Chickens from Premises.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 28, 2016, 06:59:58 am »

Break cat's legs.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 28, 2016, 04:23:37 pm »

What's the most-effective non-lethal way to ensure that Cats don't consume any Chickens?
Keep the cats indoors or completely enclose the chickens.

They might not attack the chickens but they'll go for the chicks for sure.  Maybe if you only have adult chickens at all times it might be ok...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 28, 2016, 04:33:41 pm »

If you're having baby chickens, that probably means you have a rooster as well, and so even if your cat was brave enough to take on the chooks to try and steal their babies it's soon going to learn not to fuck with them.
Unless it's some sort of terrifying giant cat or a master of stealth, I don't know.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:16 pm »

Or unless the rooster is a drunk fool up until the very crack of dawn, doing nothing important but waking the hard-working next door neighbours.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 28, 2016, 04:40:44 pm »

That is pretty important, though. If they do enough work to be considered "hard-working", they're clearly doing too much work. Perhaps some interrupted sleep is just what they need to convince them to take a break the next day and relax!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 29, 2016, 03:05:51 pm »

So now my diet is rid  of fat and processed sugars and coffee has been replaced with water and green tea.I am gaining less energy from food and I get less stimulants, and I spend more due to jogging, but ammount of personal energy I have per day greatly increased, despite, well, decreasing input and increasing output.
Wtf? How can it even work this way? This is just weird.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 29, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »

I'm considering practising worldbuilding+player interactions with a fairly simplistic FG&RP game. (I plan to maybe do a tabletop game with my RL friends, so a bit of practice would be good)

Should I give it a go that way, or is there another way to practice it that would be better?
It could work.
SGs tend to be less successful more often than not, though.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 29, 2016, 03:22:28 pm »

@SC: Stimulants can actually make you feel tired (though note you haven't gotten rid of them, unless you're drinking decaf tea -- a cup of green tea usually has at least as much caffeine as a cup of coffee :P), especially after a few hours, it takes energy to process fat and sugar* (also, neither of the two are particularly good for get-up-and-go energy, heh -- they're not terribly good for pep, despite what common narratives say about sugar), and if you're exercising and losing weight, you're carrying less around, on top of all the other good stuff a jogging regimen brings. Just to name a non-exhaustive list of what's going on, heh, as metabolism and whatnot is pretty complicated stuff. Basically you're doing most of what naturally increases personal energy, so... that's what's happening.

*Though I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you haven't really cut back too much on fats and sugars, heh. They actually tend to largely come from stuff that isn't immediately fat or sugar, hah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 31, 2016, 10:11:32 am »

Suggestion Games

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 637