Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687761 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1875 on: January 02, 2016, 03:19:34 pm »

Oh, and if you end up somewhere along the Rhine, I'll buy you a beer sometime ;)

I suspect you may be biased :P
Though you do make a good argument. As for the beer, I think you for the sentiment, but even my own friends have yet to find a way to force one down my throat. :)

Berlin is ugly and overhyped!

Hey! :p

I'm off to Berlin in February for an Erasmus myself. I guess it's a weeny bit different from yours, since mine is a research internship Erasmus, so the quality of the lab played much more of a role in the decision process, and I had much more choice (basically, any biological research lab in Europe, or the world with some extra paperwork).

So, it depends a lot of what you want. Denmark is nice (Friend of mine just finished his Master's in Copenhagen), but a bit pricey. Germany or the Netherland shouldn't be too bad (your Erasmus grant should cover rent at least). I agree that "I like the place's history' is a terrible reason to choose a country. Are you going for a short or long Erasmus? Some people have a gift for language, but myself I know that I'd have no hope to get even remotely fluent in six month. Part of the reason I chose Germany is that I have some German that I can hope to improve.
Yea, mine's an English one. Hardly dependent on labs, but a good standard in teaching would be nice. It's a short term one - only one semester. I'm not exactly comfortable with even the one semester, but giving up on something you want just because of nerves seems like going too gently into that good night.

The options are Bonn or Heidelberg for Germany, Utrecht for Netherlands, and Aarhus for Denmark.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1876 on: January 02, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »

Pretty sure Helgo's in Bonn, FWIW.

Wherever you go, post pics. Those places are all roughly on my 'visit when possible' list.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:49 pm »

Neato. Helgo is indeed in Bonn, and is a neat guy all around. Heidelberg is beautiful too and I've heard good things about the other two.

I'dd go for Bonn, but that's because I'm secretely in love with Helgoland.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 02, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »

I'dd go for Bonn, but that's because I'm secretely in love with Helgoland.
Not anymore!  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 02, 2016, 08:09:06 pm »

I'd go for Bonn, but that's because I'm secretely in love with Helgoland.
Plus it's a nice city in other ways too: There's a lot of leftover high culture from the Bonn Rupublic days, but it still feels like a small-ish city - certainly not like a metropolis. Gemütlichkeit is the proper term, I think. Being so close to Cologne - a very major city, and only a half-hour train ride away - certainly is rsponsible for part of that: For all your metropolis needs, you've got one next door.

Heidelberg used to have a great, great mathematics department before 1933, but apart from that I know very little about the city.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 02, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »

How would you rate Bonn's English department? I've been having a look around, but have yet to find anything yet.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »

I know someone there, or maybe multiple folks. I'll ask around. It can't be too bad though, as far as I know we have some very active exchange programs.
Take all my advice on field-specific matters with quite a few grains of salt though: I'm a mathematician, so I'm not even on the same campus as those guys.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:05 pm »

That's fine - thanks for the help. Maybe I can find something for the other universities online.

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 02, 2016, 11:23:07 pm »

Looking around for clock maker/servicing tools. I know I will have to make some myself (either because you have to make custom to the job or as part of the learning process) but there are tools that are too commonly needed I am looking for. I want to start servicing my own Dial and Test indicators for myself and they use clockwork for their functionality.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 03, 2016, 09:04:36 am »

I notice a distinct lack of question marks in qour post.

That's fine - thanks for the help. Maybe I can find something for the other universities online.
I just asked an aquaintance who finished her bachelor's degree in English here last semester. She says it's fairly good, but slightly resource-starved - then again, what humanities department isn't?
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:01 am »

Then, for a semester Erasmus, I'm not sure the quality of the department is so important.

Helgoland, is the slogan "Erasmus, Orgasmus" as common in Germany as I've been led to believe? :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 03, 2016, 09:34:48 am »

First time I've heard it, but the underlying idea is rather wide-spread (heh). I should hang out with more humanities students...
The Bay12 postcard club

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 03, 2016, 12:28:37 pm »

It IS well-established in Poland, at least... it's a fairly international way to express that concept, come to think of it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 03, 2016, 03:18:18 pm »

Okay, now I'm confused.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 03, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »

I think it's one of those German things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 637