Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687493 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1800 on: November 15, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »

How valid this is depends a ton on what you are using it for. Basic internet browsing? You should be fine. Anything serious? Without a working fan you are asking for the computer to start shutting itself down from overheating to stop itself from melting into a puddle.
I actually gamed for years on that machine, though it wasn't exactly high end even when I had it and I didn't exactly try to run crysis or whatev'. Very few overheating shutdowns, some first degree burns.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1801 on: November 15, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »

My laptop fan's been grinding loudly for... I really think about a year.  It may just keep spinning.  If it gets dangerously hot, it'll almost certainly shut itself off.  Then you know there's a serious problem to work around.

Otherwise it's just loud.  I got used to it, though others may comment.  Kinda like when I tripped over my power cable and the top-left corner of my screen was lost to the spider-abyss.

(people complimented my cool screensaver)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 15, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »

Alright, thanks. I've been mostly concerned on how much am I in danger of something important melting down - I've just blown a month's allowance worth of savings on a new guitar so if something expensive and/or impossible to replace in a laptop broke, I'd be thoroughly fucked.

It's gonna be running below specs again (the cleaning in Spring made the difference between PAYDAY 2 being a fancy PowerPoint presentation and a game), but I can cope.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 21, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

EDIT: Taken to Other Games "recommend a game" thread
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:27:07 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 22, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »

Which effects showering with cold water has except making you cold?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 22, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »

Making you wet.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 30, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »

Is there a way I could find the x y and z components of the square of the displacement between two points without using trigonometry? I think it's impossible but I don't know for sure.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 01, 2015, 10:45:07 am »

If the Wikipedia description of displacement is accurate and I'm understanding it properly, wouldn't that just be the individual components of the distance formula, without the square root?

(x1-x2)2, (y1-y2)2, (z1-z2)2
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »

This was my first result on a Google search.
For what it's worth you can "cheat" and get most benefits of both by either starting with a hot shower and switching drastically to a cold one halfway through or vice versa. Personally I like to start hot and then go cold, since the closed pores aspects of a cold shower mean that I can walk out and not feel like I need to apply lotion to my entire body because it's so dry 5 minutes later (which happens to me when I do it the other way around).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 01, 2015, 04:17:24 pm »

If the Wikipedia description of displacement is accurate and I'm understanding it properly, wouldn't that just be the individual components of the distance formula, without the square root?

(x1-x2)2, (y1-y2)2, (z1-z2)2

Afraid not. If you take your right angled triangle side lengths a, b, and c, you can see that it doesn't quite come out.
b = csin(θ), but b2≠c2sin(θ)

Again I'm reasonably sure that you just can't, was just looking to see if maybe there's an easy way out. Oh well.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 01, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

What's a csin?

Also can you even do that? Your triangle only has two dimensions, not three.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 01, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »

c* sine of theta.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:46 pm »

What's c*?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 01, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »

What's a csin?

Also can you even do that? Your triangle only has two dimensions, not three.

It has three sides. a, b, and c.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 637