Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687401 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1785 on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:42 am »

Print all your material on paper, so you can study away from your computer, go to the library or some other place where you have nothing to do, and study.

For some weird reason the silence  of library makes the attention to jump on any sightest noise, even  like footsteps.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1786 on: November 12, 2015, 11:00:35 am »

Print all your material on paper, so you can study away from your computer, go to the library or some other place where you have nothing to do, and study.
But only theoretically.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1787 on: November 12, 2015, 11:07:01 am »

For some weird reason the silence  of library makes the attention to jump on any sightest noise, even  like footsteps.

A hypothetical individual wanting to avoid that might listen to music with headphones to block out background noise.

Alternatively, whatever method you're using to study doesn't gel well with your personality. Have you tried different study methods? DOing spider diagrams or mindmaps or something instead of writing, and so on.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:01 am »

Try to find a medium-sized room where you can be on your own. Then you can pace while thinking about stuff. Having a black-/whiteboard or a fellow student doing the same stuff also helps, since the social interaction staves off boredom and makes studying less of a chore.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 12, 2015, 05:22:06 pm »

Is it true Brother Bear 2 ends with the girl choosing to become a bear?

Because I honestly thought the movie, from what little I saw, was about moving on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: November 12, 2015, 08:37:58 pm »

What happens to uncooked pasta when it is left out in the air?
Does it go stale? Is it then unsafe to eat, or does it taste pretty much the same as usual once cooked?
It's pretty much inert, I think.
Unless its became humid or is kinda breaking apart when you pick it up, it should be safe to cook and eat it.
Thanks guys. That's gluten ough for me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 12, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »

Oh yeah, totally.  If there isn't a breadmold visibly growing on it, it's still good pasta.  And in my experience, dry pasta lasts for many months without getting any mold.  Hell I had a big tube of oatmeal that lasted almost a year, after opening, and never seemed to taste any different.  And it wasn't nearly as dry as typical pasta.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:18 am »

Oh yeah, totally.  If there isn't a breadmold visibly growing on it, it's still good pasta.  And in my experience, dry pasta lasts for many months without getting any mold.  Hell I had a big tube of oatmeal that lasted almost a year, after opening, and never seemed to taste any different.  And it wasn't nearly as dry as typical pasta.
I know about oatmeal in particular - it's crazy durable because very, very few things can grow on it.

Sure, it's a whole bunch of yummy complex sugars - but if you don't get it wet, it has a ludicrously low usable water content. Unless you're a microbiologist working in extremophilic pathogens the only thing that could conceivably contaminate dry oatmeal is Staphylococcus aureus.

Pasta is essentially the same kind of thing - a long-chain sugar stored dry, so it should be pretty much the same.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: November 13, 2015, 07:08:10 am »

If one wanted to print out custom versions of cards for an existing board game, and have them be similar enough to the existing ones so that you couldn't tell them apart in a deck, is there a material that could be used to do that?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 13, 2015, 07:14:49 am »

Something like this?. Some things are really hard to reproduce though, like MTG's foils and whatnot, for obvious reasons.

Also this.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:17:46 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 13, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »

If one wanted to print out custom versions of cards for an existing board game, and have them be similar enough to the existing ones so that you couldn't tell them apart in a deck, is there a material that could be used to do that?
I know that The Game Crafter will print you custom cards that match common cardstock (specifically the one MTG uses) and in a variety of sizes. All you need to do is create an account, upload your back and fronts, and then order a set for yourself. Prices are generally about .09 to .20 per card depending on the size of the card you chose (which range from tiny to giant). Here's the pricing sheet (about halfway down).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 15, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »

My laptop fan has been making grindy-rattly noises for a week or two and I need to replace it.

I, unfortunately, also need to be able to use said laptop for work, so letting it RIP in pieces while a new fan is getting sent is not a real possibility.

Can someone give me a ballpark how much am I in 'HOLY SHIT ENGAGE MADAGASCAR MODE FOREVER LEST ERRYTHING MELTS' territory? Or, well, 'Fan ded, see above' situation.

I'm running at around 70*C of non-heavy duty usage (but after some; it was 60-ish before). The noise isn't terribly loud, it's completely cancelled out by headphones or going to the other side of the room, but it's noticeable when working on the laptop.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 15, 2015, 04:48:43 pm »

You should be fine for a few weeks, at the least. Depends a lot on the machine itself and the vagrancies of its construction and history. That said, I had a laptop that ran for probably... five years? Without a working fan. Not one that was working poorly, mind you. One that was not working at all. And in the end, it didn't even break, I just got a new machine.

Though that doesn't mean yours will react the same way. Different computers are different, it could be the thing explodes tomorrow. Probably won't, should be fine, but standard disclaimer that unique situations are unique and yours may or may not be more unique than most.

Have you already tried to just clean the thing out? Popped the laptop open, did the cleany bits, put it back together?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 15, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »

Not one that was working poorly, mind you. One that was not working at all. And in the end, it didn't even break, I just got a new machine.
How valid this is depends a ton on what you are using it for. Basic internet browsing? You should be fine. Anything serious? Without a working fan you are asking for the computer to start shutting itself down from overheating to stop itself from melting into a puddle.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 15, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »

You should be fine for a few weeks, at the least. Depends a lot on the machine itself and the vagrancies of its construction and history. That said, I had a laptop that ran for probably... five years? Without a working fan. Not one that was working poorly, mind you. One that was not working at all. And in the end, it didn't even break, I just got a new machine.

Though that doesn't mean yours will react the same way. Different computers are different, it could be the thing explodes tomorrow. Probably won't, should be fine, but standard disclaimer that unique situations are unique and yours may or may not be more unique than most.

Have you already tried to just clean the thing out? Popped the laptop open, did the cleany bits, put it back together?
It's been thoroughly cleaned before Summer; I'm a bit reluctant to do it, because it seems to be designed by a former tank designer, so it's horribly tedious to get to the guts from the right side and I have no real tools to do that right. I got to it from the keyboard's side, but it's not really dirty.

I've had a mishap with it where it ran REALLY loudly and I managed to get it back into working order thanks to, uh, tactically prodding it with a straw while it was running, which somehow helped.

Most likely, it's just wear and tear on the bearing.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 637