Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687722 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1755 on: November 04, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »

Are there any ways of not getting tired after 50 minutes of studying?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1756 on: November 04, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »

Depends on the person, heh. Some folks can go several hours without really being bothered by it, some can't. Varies based on the individual, their learning style, surrounding environment, and so on. There's not really a single method that's sure to work for any particular studier.

If you're finding you can't manage a straight hour without getting tired, then don't. Break it up, do smaller sessions more often -- ten minutes here, twenty there, etc. Last I checked there's been a fair number of studies showing that trying to study more than an hour or two actually hurts your information retention and comprehension. Marathon studying may be something you actually want to actively avoid.

Beyond that, try different methods of studying. If you're primarily just reading, do other things -- read out loud, record yourself reading out loud (or your teacher, if you have lectures and they allow it) and play back the information later, write it all out (and possibly translate the material from one format to another -- ferex, when I was doing math heavy work, I'd often do the assignment up in a spreadsheet program instead of trying to work it out on lined paper or whathaveyou), get other people involved (if it's an option), and so on. As an example, one of the things I'd do (surroundings permitting) fairly often with longer sessions was hold conversations (out loud) with myself on the subject in question, pacing back and forth and more or less ranting at myself. It helped with certain subjects. Movement and articulation can do wonders to help with subject engagement, for some people.

Push comes to shove, study until you're tired, take a break/nap and then do it again. It's entirely possible that, for you in particular, there isn't a way to not get tired after extended studying.

The big thing with studying (and learning in general) is there's not a single method that's effective with all people trying to learn -- there's many different methods, and each person is going to use and react to those methods in different ways. If you want to see notable improvement in your studying habits, you'll have to experiment and find out the way you learn most effectively. If you have people around you that you can talk to or sit in on their study sessions, do so -- find out what they're doing and what's working for them, and then try it for yourself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:14:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1757 on: November 04, 2015, 02:21:18 pm »

Yeah, cast around a bit. I like writing brief summaries more than just reading, and I like doing past papers more than either. Don't try to study continuously, either - I usually take two to five minute breaks every half hour or so.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 10, 2015, 07:08:46 pm »

I need a disposable login id and password for twitter, but can't make an account because I don't have a cell phone and wouldn't give them my number just to make a junk account.  Anyone know where I can find a login and password?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 10, 2015, 09:18:14 pm »

I need a disposable login id and password for twitter, but can't make an account because I don't have a cell phone and wouldn't give them my number just to make a junk account.  Anyone know where I can find a login and password?
You don't need a phone number to have a twitter account. Just go up to the top right where it says login, then click on "sign up", and then notice that the field says "Phone or email". A junk email account will work just fine for signing up, no need for a phone number.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 10, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »

Google '[game name] Steam achievements'?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 10, 2015, 09:55:11 pm »

How do you see all the achievements on Steam? Clicking the +X or the 'view personal achievements' ONLY show the ones I've got on the game, and the global statistics don't give you any description.
Go to the game's entry in your library or the store and click "View All Achievements"
It's pretty self explanatory.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »

You don't need a phone number to have a twitter account. Just go up to the top right where it says login, then click on "sign up", and then notice that the field says "Phone or email". A junk email account will work just fine for signing up, no need for a phone number.

It requires a cell phone for account verification.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 10, 2015, 10:55:00 pm »

Why do you need to verify a...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 11, 2015, 07:13:11 pm »

I'm writing my first university assessment. I just have a few problems with referencing... what exactly do I have to reference? Do I reference all the facts I know? How? Say I learned something in school and repeat it, then is it plagiarism or something? If I use something from a lecture?

What about general facts, like "Alexander founded many cities called Alexandria." Do I need to reference someone who said it, despite the fact that I already know it from somewhere?

I'm just a tad uncertain, and wish I knew the rules better. Maybe it's only arguments (like Flower argues Christian invective was directed towards Constantius as he exiled some bishops) and not the facts? Uhh, confused.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »

Your best bet is generally going to be citing everything that doesn't come specifically from you. Cite facts, cite arguments if you're using someone else's, cite appropriate texts even when you're paraphrasing. Basically everything, general knowledge as well as specialized.

Also, when in doubt, ask your teacher -- in general, when you're uni, that should be your step one in pretty much all situations. Stringency regarding reference citation is going to vary from class to class. As a general thing, trying to read your teacher's (or school's) mind in regards to these sorts of things is a recipe for screwing up, so... don't do that. Ask for clarification at any and every point you're uncertain. Most university professors aren't going to begrudge that -- they appreciate someone that's invested in the class and trying to learn, and making sure you're doing what they/the course content wants you to is one of the ways you signal that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:42:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 11, 2015, 09:58:48 pm »

Which game is this, then? Because Grak is pretty spot on there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 11, 2015, 11:44:13 pm »

What is the plural of the word 'redux'?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 11, 2015, 11:49:11 pm »

What is the plural of the word 'redux'?
Either redux, or reduxes?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »

Well, that too.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 637