Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 862800 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Besides, protip: if you want philosophy and awesome quotes about finding yourself, try Buddhism or Hinduism. The Bible is remarkably short on those.

Also check out Tao Te Ching by Laozi.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

It was not about finding yourself, it was about finding a common purpose. This theme is much more popular in the Bible.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Besides, protip: if you want philosophy and awesome quotes about finding yourself, try Buddhism or Hinduism. The Bible is remarkably short on those.

Also check out Tao Te Ching by Laozi.

The whole book is a good read if you get a good translation.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

figured it out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:42:41 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Relevant.

But not completely.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had made a new thread by accident because I couldn't find this thread instead, but a question:

I've been trying to find a cliche/trope/quote that came to mind that goes something like: "I only had my own wits to rely on.", I think mostly commonly used in rather Noir works, and, I do believe, is occasionally parodied by adding something that makes their troubles far less problematic, something like: "I only had my own wits and unlimited cosmic power to rely on.".

Anyone knows what I'm talking about? It's gnawing on my brain but I've not been able to find neither the original one nor the parodies.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

"I had only my wits, [blahblahblah]" is probably what you're thinking of.

"I had only my wits and my pocketknife..."
"I had only my wits and a small dog smoking a small cigarette..."
"I had only my wits or the unspeakable power of an eldritch deity..."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:33:05 pm by Arx »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Sooo...  Confederate Flag.    :P

I'm a Canadian, so I don't know all that much about US culture around it.  There's been a lot of stuff on my news sites lately about how horrible people are that have or fly that flag because racism.

My question is, is the confederate flag and the people who raise it all about racism and slavery?  I always kinda always figured they just wished they wanted to be a separate country and I couldn't really blame them there, I wouldn't want your government either.  I may have misinterpreted what the flag means though.   
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:21:27 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I'm not an American, so I'll leave the definitive answers to them, but as far as I a, aware the Confederate flag is the flag of Dixie, the joint states which wanted to secede. America didn't want them to do so - cotton, anyone? - and so tried to keep 'em through violence. Violence, of course, which was mutual.

Slavery, much like religion is a lot of the time, was just used as an excuse which was handy at the time.

Ultimately, no. The Confederate flag is not a symbol of Racism. It's like saying the Scottish flag is a symbol for... I dunno, Prima Nocta or something. Not the best example, but you get the gist.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I seem to recall the American Civil War being fought in large part over slavery, with the Confederacy in favour of it. Flying it now means you wish the Confederacy'd won. Of course, I'm not American either.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

I seem to recall the American Civil War being fought in large part over slavery, with the Confederacy in favour of it. Flying it now means you wish the Confederacy'd won. Of course, I'm not American either.

Another not-American here. From what I've read, slavery was mostly just another excuse to justify the war against Confederacy, which was mostly about getting the country back together under federal control. Hence Emancipation Proclamation only came out in 1863, which isn't exactly the beginning of Civil War.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh.

It has been my impression that there was some problem over the slave market, as the south relied heavily upon slavery to make such massive profits.

However, I don't think it would have come to war had the confederates not tried to secede. Trying to leave the United States was the real bone, not slavery.

Edit: Ninja. What Comrade said.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

The war was fought over the country breaking apart, but what led to the country breaking apart in the first place was growing Northern opposition to slavery, particularly the argument over whether or not the Western territories gained around that period should have legalized slavery or not.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Actual American here. There are three types of people who fly the confederate flag. In no particular order:

A) People making a political statement. These are Southerners (mostly) who buy into a revisionist view of history that romanticizes the Civil War and see the CSA as a sort of proud few years fighting for their own freedom, and as a part of their "heritage." Expect these people to talk to you about how awesome General Lee was, how Sherman's March was a war crime, states' rights, and avoid mention of anything else when the subject comes up.
B) People who want to affirm their southern identity by displaying a visible symbol of its history, without too much care for the context. This is much more common in the north than the south.
C) The more outspoken varieties of racist. This is the smallest group by a wide margin.

Edit: While I have a recent post here, are people able to see these things?
ᚳᚣᚠᚢᚦ
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:04:18 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, basically, the same reasons why anyone anywhere flies a flag. With the odd variety of weird other than "racism" added of course.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 647