Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687741 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Of Farts and Bathtubs]
« Reply #780 on: September 09, 2014, 04:43:15 am »

how is something widespread if it does hardly anything and doesn't even appear to be as such

helgo are you the kinda person who calls every single human racist/homophobic/what will you or what

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 09, 2014, 05:02:18 am »

helgo are you the kinda person who calls every single human racist/homophobic/what will you or what
Well, I'd say most of us are - I sure know I am. What I'm saying is that these people have racist and homophobic views, but they keep them to themselves. There's hardly a difference to a non-racist/hardly-racist person on the outside.

The difference is that a non-racist/hardly-racist person wouldn't start talking about how we need to drown all those refugees in the Mediterranean Sea after he's had a few beers.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 09, 2014, 05:36:54 am »

reminds me that europol didn't talk about refugees for a while

think we should go fix that?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 09, 2014, 06:42:36 am »

Alright, let's have some fun!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 10, 2014, 09:54:38 am »

hey bay, what would be the difficulty of, and the logistics involved in, buying up various coins worth less than the market value of the metals they're made out of and smelting them back into base metal for profits

i'm thinking of something like the niue dollar, whose 5 cent coin is ~99% copper, it's a pretty close deal but i'm losing a cent per 5c coin at current exchange rates (assuming niue dollar and new zealand dollar are 1:1)

however, 1 us dollar buys ~26 nicaraguan cordobas, they have a 0.05 cordoba coin that's 3g ~98%, assuming price per kilo is $4... that's $6.24, so with perfect conditions i have $5 spread per dollar to conduct operations in

the base is set, what do

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:43 am »

Well, you'll have to be careful. In some countries, it's illegal to melt currency.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:15 am »

And you'll need a large (like, LARGE) supply of coins for that to be profitable. Which will be hard to find because you'd effectively be stealing from the central bank of the country in question.
The Bay12 postcard club

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 10, 2014, 11:59:37 am »

Pretty sure this is, or was, a practice in Border areas of India and Pakistan. People would cross into India, exchange or obtain silver Rupees, return to Pakistan, and melt the coins, selling the silver for more than the face value.

This is one reason why our copper penny and 2 pence coins here in the UK now have a significant amount of Iron in them.
This is a blank sig.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 10, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »

So let's say I've got an assignment for my sociology class to go out in public and purposefully break a social norm...basically, go out and be weird and do something most people wouldn't do, then write a paper about the experience. An example would be getting in an elevator and turning to stare at everyone else in the elevator instead of staring toward the door.

Ideas I've got so far include:

-Walking around campus and going to classes wearing only a towel. I'd have shorts and underwear underneath obviously, but the towel would hide it. Alternatively, make a towel toga and wear that.

-Standing around in a highly foot-trafficked part of campus and offer free hugs to random people walking by. Sign saying "free hugs" is optional. Asking people if they want a hug before hugging them is optional. Following and pestering people who reject the hugs is optional.

-Walking around campus and randomly breaking into song while walking behind people. Current idea for songs include "Call Me Maybe", Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme, or just constant bad beatboxing.

-Going around campus wearing a towel and offering free hugs to strangers.

Thoughts? Inputs? Suggestions?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 10, 2014, 03:50:20 pm »

Collect hugs for the poor.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 10, 2014, 03:58:53 pm »

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Sweden and 10 is Russia, how homophobic is Germany?
I'd say 1 too, since Sweden isn't completely free of homophobia either. We even had some prominent politicians who are openly gay, like our former foreign minister, the former mayor of Hamburg and the soon-to-be former mayor of Berlin, so that is relatively progressive, even if gay civil unions are not 100% equal to marriage yet. Like Helgo said, Cologne is the gay capital here, with Berlin a close second place.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 10, 2014, 04:05:13 pm »

-snip-
Free hugs has been done. You could watch some Monty Python's Flying Circus for inspiration, especially the Hungarian Phrasebook sketch. Or the Funny Walks one.

I like the towel idea. Other things popping into my head:
-Stand too close to people.
-Flirt with people of the same gender.
-Talk too loudly.
-Start conversations with random people. This could become quite interesting!

"So what's your opinion on fusion energy? I hear the reactor in Cadarache is coming along nicely..."
The Bay12 postcard club

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »

When you hear people use big words, butt into their conversation and say "I'm sorry, but it really ticks me off when people misuse x, it actually means y."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »

So let's say I've got an assignment for my sociology class to go out in public and purposefully break a social norm...basically, go out and be weird and do something most people wouldn't do, then write a paper about the experience. An example would be getting in an elevator and turning to stare at everyone else in the elevator instead of staring toward the door.

-Walking around campus and going to classes wearing only a towel. I'd have shorts and underwear underneath obviously, but the towel would hide it. Alternatively, make a towel toga and wear that.

-Standing around in a highly foot-trafficked part of campus and offer free hugs to random people walking by. Sign saying "free hugs" is optional. Asking people if they want a hug before hugging them is optional. Following and pestering people who reject the hugs is optional.

-Walking around campus and randomly breaking into song while walking behind people. Current idea for songs include "Call Me Maybe", Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme, or just constant bad beatboxing.

Following people, narrating what they're doing at the moment in an overly dramatic voice.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 10, 2014, 04:59:08 pm »

Following people, narrating what they're doing at the moment in an overly dramatic voice.
I like this idea.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 637