Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687508 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #525 on: February 01, 2014, 03:08:38 am »

Knowing or calculating work allows you to determine so much about a system that you may not know or be able to calculate by other means. Through simple manipulations, from the amount of useful work done you can get at things like the velocity, the mass of a body, its acceleration, the resultant force acting, the power of a device, its efficiency, its displacement - literally, any basic mechanics concept. Now, this is not to say that it is the only way to do so (it is clearly not), but depending on what properties you have been given, you know or that are easy to determine it may be far simpler to approach a problem from the work/energy approach rather than some other approach.
This is a blank sig.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:25 pm »

Well, via the amazing use of google, I found that they skimped on the graphics card.

Looks like I'll be making my own computer...
As far as I can tell, they always skimp on the graphics card for prebuilt computers, unless its a very expensive computer with a GTX Titan in it or a 'gaming laptop'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »

Does often seem to be the case, yeah. The pessimist in me wants to say that's 'cause the video card is probably the hardest thing for the layman to compare. Processor speed, hard drive space, ram... usually fairly straightforward. Video card, not so much, which makes for an easy "gotcha," heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »

Well, via the amazing use of google, I found that they skimped on the graphics card.

Looks like I'll be making my own computer...
As far as I can tell, they always skimp on the graphics card for prebuilt computers, unless its a very expensive computer with a GTX Titan in it or a 'gaming laptop'.

For non- or casual gaming laptops, the graphics card isn't that important and a more powerful one drains the battery faster, so they go for a cheaper one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:11 pm »

Another FGRP question! What is this 'Shipping' mentioned in FGRPs?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2014, 09:13:27 pm »

Question answered.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »

Question answered.
Contrary to the above article, it can also be done with real people.

It's happened to me.

Twice.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »

Question answered.
Contrary to the above article, it can also be done with real people.

It's happened to me.

Twice.
The larger one that gets linked to in that article mentions that possibility, yes. Beyond personal-level, that happens plenty with media personalities and whatnot. Looking into wrasslin' fanfiction is probably something you don't actually want to do.
Ask not!
Ask!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

Happened to me when we had that shipping thread.
Wut?

Dare I ask for a link?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 08, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »

You don't, since it got locked and I think deleted? It's something better left forgotten. People got warned, some mutes got handed out, iirc. Some folks came close to getting banned. I wasn't really paying attention at the time, but the snafu that arose, like, echoed into surrounding threads. And other subforums, if my memory's not failing.

Just like with freight shipping, when shipping catastrophes occur, they can get pretty nasty. The arguable difference being that pretty close to all shipping is some variation of catastrophe :P

Sometimes wonderful catastrophe, but...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:30:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2014, 04:51:15 am »

The fuck do people do at malls? I'm stuck here for three hours because I'm not interested in going home for an hour and having to get back here right as it passes due to organizational fuckups. I don't have much dosh either, so can't just amuse myself with blowing it on hats.

Already browsed most windows and asking now so advice can flow in before I'm absolutely out of ideas.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:27 am »

Panhandling?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:04 am »

Hang with friends/peers and window shop, for the younger folks, iirc.

I usually browsed the bookstore (if there's one there) if I was stuck there for any length of time. Maybe trundled over to game display things, which I've honestly no clue if are still around these days (it's been years since I've been inside a mall.), and less clue if they ever had them wherever the blazes you are. If they've got, like, massage chair displays (See those, occasionally), you might pop down and take a nap.

There's always people watching, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:21 pm »

One time a fly of indeterminate type bit my knee and I didn't realize it for 10 seconds because I was so engrossed in playing pokemon or something and so after I noticed I chased it away. This is probably not relevant at all.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 637