Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687621 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #510 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:36 am »

Isn't that what these things are for? You can overdo it of course, but just saying "what's up" or "long time no see, what have you been up to" should be perfectly non-creepy.
I'unno man, if some person I barely knew and only considered a passing acquaintance just randomly messaged me on the Facebookz after four years of no contact whatsoever, I'd consider that at least a little bit odd. "Why would they only now talk to me? Why not any time before now?"

Maybe I just think any display of interest in a girl would seem creepy. My social-fu skills are weak.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:27 am »

If she's just a minor acquaintance, you might come off too strong.

New hypothetical question. How would a perfectly normal not creepy guy express interest in starting a friendship with a minor female acquaintance when the two have otherwise not had any real contact in four or so years? ...and not seem creepy? Even the hypothetical term "starting a friendship" sounds creepy and stupid, and that was simply chosen for lack of a less stupid sounding term.

Randomly appearing out of nowhere to strike up conversation with a person after such a span of years seems incredibly creepy and awkward. Randomly virtually contacting them from out of nowhere on a social media site such as Facebook after such a span of years also seems creepy, and awkward.

Obviously, the logical conclusion is that dating is creepy and awkward.

Why did you become interested in befriending her now, if you knew her for four years?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 30, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

Are you after friendship or a relationship?

If you're after a relationship, you don't need to worry about looking like you're hitting on her, because you SHOULD be hitting on her. You're after a date, right? Don't be slimy and beat around the bush. Ask her out.

If you're after friendship, then the answer is similar. "Hey, wanna become friends again? Let's hang out."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 30, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »

Isn't that what these things are for? You can overdo it of course, but just saying "what's up" or "long time no see, what have you been up to" should be perfectly non-creepy.
I'unno man, if some person I barely knew and only considered a passing acquaintance just randomly messaged me on the Facebookz after four years of no contact whatsoever, I'd consider that at least a little bit odd. "Why would they only now talk to me? Why not any time before now?"

Maybe I just think any display of interest in a girl would seem creepy. My social-fu skills are weak.
My knowledge of social network etiquette isn't that firm, since I don't really use any, but if you can't just say "hi" to someone you know, they're even more useless than I thought. I often catch up with people I haven't seen much in years, though that's usually triggered by running into each other randomly. I wouldn't overthink it, maybe she ignores you, maybe she's glad you wrote, just find out.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 30, 2014, 06:28:05 pm »

Why did you become interested in befriending her now, if you knew her for four years?
[storytime]

Because I suck at life. I'm bad at romance and feelings and junk. Because the hypothetical person in question who totally is not me is bad at relationships or feelings or social "friend-making" etiquette. Upon crushing on said hypothetical girl, hypothetical guy chose to take the weak way out and avoid hypothetical girl so that there would be minimal risk of horrible awkwardness or embarrassment. Because hypothetical dude is dumb.

Both hypothetical girl and hypothetical guy are now seniors in high school and could potentially never see one another again after graduation. They have no real reason to keep in contact, because they're practically strangers except for the fact they know one another's names and had multiple classes together at some point previously, which actually makes things way more awkward than if they were just total strangers. Only issue is that hypothetical dude still has a stupid crush on hypothetical girl and it's all awkward and stupid and stuff.

[/storytime]
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 30, 2014, 06:30:55 pm »

what you need to do is do nothing about the girl, then beat yourself over the head about it for years afterward at one point turning to alcohol for peace of mind and drinking your way into the gutter

it'll work trust me

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 30, 2014, 06:56:57 pm »

Hypothetical question, is asking a girl out on Valentines' Day as romantic as I assume it would seem, or is it as obnoxiously cheesy, cliche, and creepy as I would otherwise think it would be?

Seems like the chance of rejection would be slimmer since it's the holiday that's supposed to be all romantic and junk, and such a question would probably be more socially acceptable than any time else. My own opinions on such a subject are unfairly biased and outside opinion would required to get a more fair outlook on the subject.
Let me tell you, combining holidays has its benefits. Throughout the year you're gonna have to remember your wife's birthday, your anniversary, and Valentine's Day. If you can stick the anniversary on one or the other you have one less date to remember and one less gift to think up.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »

[storytime]

Because I suck at life. I'm bad at romance and feelings and junk. Because the hypothetical person in question who totally is not me is bad at relationships or feelings or social "friend-making" etiquette. Upon crushing on said hypothetical girl, hypothetical guy chose to take the weak way out and avoid hypothetical girl so that there would be minimal risk of horrible awkwardness or embarrassment. Because hypothetical dude is dumb.

Both hypothetical girl and hypothetical guy are now seniors in high school and could potentially never see one another again after graduation. They have no real reason to keep in contact, because they're practically strangers except for the fact they know one another's names and had multiple classes together at some point previously, which actually makes things way more awkward than if they were just total strangers. Only issue is that hypothetical dude still has a stupid crush on hypothetical girl and it's all awkward and stupid and stuff.

[/storytime]

Oh. I see. Not unfamiliar situation, and can suck for either side.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:48 pm »

what you need to do is do nothing about the girl, then beat yourself over the head about it for years afterward at one point turning to alcohol for peace of mind and drinking your way into the gutter

it'll work trust me

Obviously this is the solution. Nothing can go wrong.  :P

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 31, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »

Does work have any point to it at all?

I mean the idea of force over time makes sense, but force over a distance seems an odd concept to need to know considering the force can be applied over any time period.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »

It's because the work applied is equal to the change in kinetic energy caused by the force, IIRC.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 31, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »

Hmmm, so I suppose it might allow you to express the change in potential energy of something when it goes up... but other than that it still feels pretty useless...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »

How much stuff is moved after overcoming friction and such is a useful number for engineering, I'd imagine.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2014, 10:11:03 pm »

For facebook specifically? Simple: Your name is not easy to find on facebook, regardless of what it is (more common names have exponentially worse trouble). It seems like it was easier for facebook to let people make custom urls to their profile than to make it easier to search the entire database of profiles.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 01, 2014, 01:28:12 am »

In my experience, work is most useful for relating force and energy. Energy equations are much easier to work with than force equations, usually.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 637