Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 892519 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7035 on: March 02, 2021, 12:45:37 am »

Is there such a thing as a compressionist* anymore? By now, encoders are smart enough to maintain constant quality at a variable bitrate, or an average (but not constant) bitrate, maintaining a constant (as best it can) quality throughout, all without human input, so is such a thing obsolete?

*It's a really obscure term. Working definition is "Compressionists are studio engineers who not only understand how to operate the encoding equipment but also apply their artistic judgment in selecting the best trade-off between compression ratio and picture quality", extracted from here, so uh.. it's that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: March 04, 2021, 04:37:25 pm »

There was/is an RPG system out there with a basic concept that explained how heroes (PCs) were so much more powerful and able than the common peasantry, by stating that passion itself would grant a person power, and as such the upper class sought to keep the lower classes dispassionate and passively content. The system also featured a sort of ability "tree" characters would move along during challenges, such as a fighter changing stances every turn with different effects resulting from where in the "tree" they were located. This offered a tactical choice between going down short branches for immediate gains, or aiming for longer branches and more powerful abilities once reached in that conflict.

It was one of the RPGs examined briefly in the FATAL and Friends list, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Found it! Completely by accident too. It was absolutely not the name I remembered it having. I was just looking at the list lazily before scrolling on through, saw this name distinguish itself from the crowd, thought "...yeah alright. I'll click on it. How funny would it be if that just randomly ended up being what I was looking for?", and... Pretty funny, as it turns out!

From what I remember, the system looks to have a few balance issues and shortcomings... But that said, it also has some seriously cool and innovative design decisions.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: March 05, 2021, 04:44:30 am »

So, I have a collection of 9 hard drives. I think they're kinda interesting, since you can see cylinder-head-sector (CHS) counts on some of these despite being manufactured way past the era that you'd need to configure that at all. Ah, memories of screwing around with Bochs. I can still remember my frustration at those magic numbers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ones highlighted in red (4, mixed sizes) are ones I'll reject outright because they're too small. What do I do with those? They're still ~1.8 TB total, but I can't RAID them efficiently; I really don't want to throw them away, but that's the hoarder instincts speaking.

As for the "good" ones (5, all 1 TB each), I'll need to test these before even considering using them as storage. That, and run DBAN on the whole lot, but that's obvious. What's the best way to do this?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: March 05, 2021, 04:57:08 am »

If you don't want to throw them away you could give them away or try to sell them on Ebay or something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: March 06, 2021, 12:31:27 am »

Use them in linux systems for mounts that get written a lot.

/var/log
/home/[user]/.cache
[swap]

etc..

You dont need a whole lot of space there, just write longevity.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: March 09, 2021, 03:36:31 am »

So what even was That Which Sleeps?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: March 09, 2021, 01:16:43 pm »

that which presses the snooze button on the alarm clock
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: March 09, 2021, 05:22:11 pm »

Would there even be a point to trying to open a Patreon/other funding site with how overcrowded the TTRPG field is? I'm starting a re-write again, and I am *really* hurting for money, but I don't know if anyone would bite, you know?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: March 09, 2021, 05:31:24 pm »

I think if you worked on finding someone who could help promote it? Ironicus of Chip and Ironicus is selling a TTRPG (which I mention because the Ironicus side of that partnership is not all that famous/visible, but Chip is helping to boost it). If you're *really* hurting for money like you say it couldn't be bad to make one, could it? And then maybe work on finding some other people to promote you/help you out?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:22 pm »

You could try!

... the field definitely is overcrowded, though. I have an old friend that makes most of what income they bring in by writing tabletop material... haven't kept in touch well, but what they've spoken of it suggested it's not exactly, uh. Lucritive, heh.

Still, can't hurt much to try, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: March 09, 2021, 11:27:57 pm »

So what even was That Which Sleeps?

I'll answer the question seriously. TWS was kickstarter project for a civ clone who's basic premise was this: "What if instead of controlling civilizations, you controlled individuals outside of civilization who could do various actions to influence the civs indirectly".

The idea was that you played as an ancient evil that was sealed away who is now waking up and trying to slowly rebuild their power. You would recruit agents to do your bidding, dispose of them when they outlive their usefulness or become too much of a liability, and repeat until you achieved world domination. Think Sauron's Saruman, Voldemort's Peter Pettigrew, Bill Cipher's Gideon, or any corrupted paladin that tries to serve a demon in hopes of a reward that never comes.

The agents had a good-aligned counterpart known as heroes, who are individuals who act to oppose you and spread general goodness. They started off unaware of your existence, but would end up fighting your agents anyway without seeing the greater purpose behind their villainous actions. They weren't going stay ignorant forever though. Everything you did left behind clues, and if the heroes found enough and pieced them together, they would eventually start working to stop you for good.

The most important thing that tied this all together was that while you were conducting your schemes and trying to rule the world, the AI would play Crusader Kings II amongst each other in the background. By that, I meant that every country and organization was run by individuals with their own personalities and goals and various events would happen in the world as they tried to achieve their goals. Borders would be redrawn as countries went to war and conquered each other. King's would get assassinated and replaced. Children would be born and grow up. New laws would get passed, either regressive or progressive. The whole idea behind this game was that you would be given a living and breathing world, and then be tasked with destroying it in whatever way you saw fit.

This game never ended up actually existing though. When the Dev launched his kickstarter, he claimed the code was %90 complete and the only thing he needed was art, but that was a blatant lie. And it was a lie he kept going for a while. He kept sharing stories about interesting events that happened in his prototype version of the game, stories like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that likely never happened. One wonders whether the game was a scam to begin with or if the game died due to stretch goal overdose. One thing that is clear was that the guy wasn't very good at making games, and this project was way too ambitious.

It's a sad story, I personally believe that Paradox would have done a wonderful job delivering on this concept, but as is often the case with "large collaborative art projects" (video games, movies, tv shows), the people with the best ideas rarely ever have the resources to properly execute on them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:40:49 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:57 am »

You could try!

... the field definitely is overcrowded, though. I have an old friend that makes most of what income they bring in by writing tabletop material... haven't kept in touch well, but what they've spoken of it suggested it's not exactly, uh. Lucritive, heh.

Still, can't hurt much to try, y'know?

Economists talk a lot about a concept called opportunity cost. Creating a website/Patreon require time and effort, plus you’d have to actually write the RPG you’re wanting to sell. That effort could be better spent on something more likely to give a return. I’m almost certain that you have better options than trying to sell an RPG while you don’t even have a marketing strategy.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: March 10, 2021, 05:30:07 am »

I don't think Patreon's a great idea if you're hurting for money. You'd need to already have a steady base of patrons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: March 10, 2021, 08:39:32 pm »

Would there even be a point to trying to open a Patreon/other funding site with how overcrowded the TTRPG field is? I'm starting a re-write again, and I am *really* hurting for money, but I don't know if anyone would bite, you know?

Beyond any financial concern it serves as a way of advertising what you are doing.  Assuming it's something you'll be doing for quite some time anyways, I'm with Frumple - go for it!
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 648