Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 892376 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6000 on: July 01, 2020, 07:01:20 pm »

No no no, the CPU is the main, general-purpose processor chip. Occasionally there are multiple general-purpose processor chips, in highly parallelized, distributed computation clusters like supercomputers, in which case I suppose they could all be called CPUs, but it is rare for there to be more than one in a PC. The GPU is not a CPU, it is not general-purpose. Neither is the sound card, or the network card, or a cryptographic card, or stuff like that. The "central" in "central processing unit" is not just for giggles. The CPU is central because it by and large drives all the other processors. "Cores" refer to pieces of machinery inside individual silicon processor chips, each of which is able to carry out a sequence of instructions. CPUs typically have 2, 4, or 8 cores, while GPUs often have tens of cores (because they conduct more parallelized operations).

Also, I doubt there is a strong correlation between core memory and the decision to call individual processor units "cores." It seems like a pretty reasonable thing to call them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:10:21 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: July 01, 2020, 09:11:31 pm »

Bleep_Bloop:

The magic sauce you are missing is "By Van Neumann's definition".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

You are needlessly throwing "General Purpose" in front.  If you note, that requirement is not found in the definition. :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: July 02, 2020, 04:30:19 am »

How many people do you know who can't swim? I only had one friend who couldn't - all the way through university. Moving to Asia, I was surprised to find out it wasn't as wide-spread of a skill as I thought, but maybe Wisconsin just has a lot of swimmers because of all the lakes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: July 02, 2020, 04:53:22 am »

In the western hemisphere, there are fewer water borne illnesses and nasty blood sucking parasites, not to mention just other things that can seriously ruin your day, in many bodies of water.

This just leaves swimming pools and the like, and not everybody is gonna take a swimming lesson.  Apparently, being able to swim in moving water (like where I learned to swim) is a *very* rare skill.  Odd, I find it super duper easy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:43 am »

If I remember correctly, the west's (or at least Sweden's) widespread swimming proficiency is an inheritance from the folk health movements of the early 20th century. It basically instilled a sense of normalcy/expectation to knowing how to swim and going to swimming school (once parents know how to swim it's also easier spreading it onwards to their children of course). Before that I believe swimming proficiency was extremely rare.

Here in Sweden it's been slowly reducing. I'm assuming it has to do with increased migration from not-swimming parts of he world, it becoming less and less common to go summer vacationing in the country, and most importantly (I think at leasy) computers and vidya games making children exercise and be outside less in general. So we're probably a bit overdue for another folk health movement to refresh the custom.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: July 02, 2020, 05:25:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:03:47 pm by dragdeler »
let

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: July 02, 2020, 10:45:49 am »

Swimming proficiency was a mandatory requirement for graduating high school for me. I think some colleges have the same deal
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: July 02, 2020, 03:42:07 pm »

Anyone know/care why people are saying that US Independence day should be July 2?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: July 02, 2020, 03:52:44 pm »

“lol all you cretins don’t know history only I do, it’s wingardium leviosah.” presumably.

Quick Google: the DoI was voted through on the 2nd, formally adopted by the Continental Congress on the 4th.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: July 02, 2020, 03:55:29 pm »

The colonies were legally separated on July 2, 1776. (Had to google it)
Ninja’d

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:45 pm »

This is really pissing me off. I'm trying to listen to a podcast on Soundcloud and for the life of me, there's no basic mechanism to put the tracks from a specific podcast in the correct order and just *listen* to them. It shows me newest first, and there's no apparent way to switch to oldest first, and it dynamically loads bit by bit, so finding the next track to listen to each time so I get the thing in order is excruciating.

I guess having to fuck around to manually go through a huge list of tracks each time you want to find the next track is just their business model or something, makes you more likely to listen to other stuff. Also, after each track finishes it sends me off to some random but similar podcast, so i have to then manually navigate and do the whole 5 minutes of list-scrolling to find the next actual track i want. Basically I get about 1/4 through the list and give up because I'm pissed off at how long it takes to scroll through the 100+ tracks, so i never actually get to the bit of the podcast i'm actually up to.

"listen to the first track and just keep going" seems like it's a task beyond Soundcloud's programming. Having to manually search out each episode of a podcast with 100 episodes and save bookmarks for them so i can play them in order seems like it would be the very problem that Soundcloud would exist to solve, but apparently this isn't provided functionality. Anyone got any better suggestions for podcast sites? I could probably write some greasemonkey code to fix this and export all the links however.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:49:04 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: July 03, 2020, 04:28:27 am »

build an m3u file with the appropriate track IDs?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:40 am »

How weird are my music tastes when I listen primarily to military marches, anthems, death metal, and slowed-down versions of video game OSTs?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: July 03, 2020, 09:09:01 am »

That sounds like, basically every Russian furry ever. Although I know very few Russian furries, so take that with a grain of salt.   

Also, four is my lucky number, so anyone trying to shift their big national day to the second is an idiot.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: July 03, 2020, 09:18:33 am »

But today, July 3rd is the federal holiday this year!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 648