Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Troglodyte Wars(I.E. my best DF experience thus far)  (Read 4657 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Troglodyte Wars(I.E. my best DF experience thus far)
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »

~PROLOGUE~
There it was, the promised land, the island that would bring the mountianhomes untold riches. This island was known as the awe-inspiring forest, a tranquil coniferous island forest, naturally protected by an ocean from rampaging goblin hordes, undead armies and other horrors, unfortunetly this also restricted trade to fellow dwarves, as Humans and elves dare not brave the ocean of madness to reach the island. But this island would be the pride of the dwarves, the island itself was very peaceful, albeit the odd sow encounter not much was to be found on this island, its what was below that still brings a dark memory to my mind.
~THE EMBARK~
 It begins with the embark, as always. The island was well forested, and the absence of nosy elves would mean logging was a safe industry, but the best feature of the island was the amazing volcano, hence the fortress name Scorched Mountain. Early access to magma forges, as well as plentiful ore, gold,iron,aluminum,and many other valuable metals. After getting set in, the group began expanding their industries downward to find more hematite ore to begin an iron industry. The miners were the best of the best, speedily clearing strip mining operations, but oddly enough we were producing more metal goods then we were finding, thus we needed to dig deeper, so we did, and the unavoidable happened, the miners gaped in awe at the subterranean network of caverns they unearthed, however the growls from below unsettled the miners, so they lined the enterance with traps, as any dwarf would, but something would push the miners deeper, the discovery of an ore mother-lode, smack in the middle of the cavern. So the Scorched Mountain militia, known as the Scorched Knights  took up posts in the deep cavern to keep any skulking creatures away from the miners.
 An entire year passed and about half the ore was removed from the cavern.( I lost a few legendary miners to a magma incident, so it took longer)That's when things really started getting out of hand....thats when they came from the darkest corners.
~THEY COME~
It started out small, an occasional cave crawler took a few swipes at the guards but they were put down, various other critters were captured to be used in the gladiator arena. The trouble began when the Troglodytes came. Like a native tribe, they grouped up to defend their home, after all, we were the intruders here. The knights fought off several Trogs that attempted to halt out mining operation, luckily the knights were equipped in full Iron, so their swipes merely glanced off them before they could do any real damage, but then they're numbers grew, vastly, its as if they banded together to  drive us from the cavern, my scouts spotted them grouping near ore-heavy areas, ambushing defenseless miners, in an almost tactical way. We captured/killed many, used them in our gladiator games, pitted a few against a Giant cave spider we tamed, very amusing to watch. But then..one Trog arrived that stood out from the rest, a named one, much taller and more muscular then his smaller kin, He spearheaded an attack on our mining op, in a deep part, many miners were injured or killed, I even paired the miners with war dogs and other tamed creatures but they slaughtered them as well. The biggest blow however was their attack on our nursery..
They focused an entire attack on a dwarven baby nursery, while the guards were occupied fighting other Trogs in the caverns. The bastards killed 5 children, mauled 3, and even killed the war dogs protecting them. That was the last straw, the war was on.
~THE WAR~
 I equipped all able bodied male dwarves(With military experience) in iron armor and weaponry. They stormed the caverns, killing numerous Trogs wandering in the caves, but i wanted to find the named one. He didn't appear until he had about 10-15 other Trogs with him, they attacked from the shadows, ambushing my dwarves, killing an entire squad(of mostly recruits) and injuring others. Then I saw him, the named one,I called out the Scorched Knights to bring him and his followers down, they charged right into a trap, several dwarves were caught in cave spider webbing, the Trogs used that to their advantage and slaughtered them, it wad down to 6 remaining Scorched Knights, the finest warriors in the Fortress. They made a final stand in the biggest part of the cavern, where they were swarmed by 12+ Trogs, they took injuries but managed to fight them off until the named one attacked. He outright killed a wrestler by tossing him into a nearby lake, knocking him unconscious and drowning. his minions injured 3 others, now only a Swords dwarf and the Macedwarf were left, the swordsdwarf fought bravely while the macedwarf held off the others, he even managed to hack off the named ones leg before succumbing to injuries, outnumbered, I regrouped my remaining militia for one last assault into the caves, if they failed, I would close it off, the ore would not be worth this many lives.
They plunged into the cave, getting picked off, until the revengefull macedwarf found the named one, legless and broken he finally slew the foul Troglodyte that caused so much death, it was almost unfair, he could not defend himself. However in the process the macedwarf was badly injured by other Trogs, both arms broken and various fractured, he couldnt really hold a weapon or walk as well as he used to, but after the named one died the Trogs scattered, moral possibly broken by their Alpha male being killed. The macedwarf was retired as the captain of the guard , the Trogs still attacked later, but the trap system kept them away indefinetly.

-Apologies if this was hard to follow, but i felt I had to document this, this is what makes the game for me, the stories.

-Also to note that I never did get all the ore, I kinda just sealed the battleground as a memorial, Trog bones and Dwarven equipment still litters the field.

-Thanks for reading, hope I entertained you! :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:14:30 pm by higgypig »

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Troglodyte Wars(I.E. my best DF experience thus far)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »

-Also sorry if its a bit long, should havemade it in chapters or something.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »

Yeah, splitting that up would have helped maybe.

But still, this story has everything it takes to be dwarfen:

- Involvement of Magma (and deads due to it for bonus points)
- Dwarfs getting creedy and digging to deep
- Dwarfs getting completely murdered in vast numbers
- A hero slaying a foul beast, leaving behind something for the engravers to decorate dining halls, personal rooms and some other surfaces noone will look at ever again.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:05:34 pm »

The strange thing is is that this never happened to me before, usually when i get to caves the Trogs just attack at random,unorganized, so its either the games clever mechanics or something else that united them against me. Very fun to watch it play out however, I really wished that I documented it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »

Trogs will do that, sometimes. ALL cavern wildlife will do that. 3-6 different "herds" or groups can be on the map at a time (2-3 aboveground, and another 2-3 underground), and they'll mill around or wander across the area, until it's time to leave. Then the fun starts. Underground creatures will almost always attempt to path to a tile on the surface that they have a path to when they want to wander back off-map, however. This means that all those dirty trogs playing around in there will make a bumrush right through your fort to get outside, and have no problem fighting, and killing, anything in their path. You can usually see them run back and forth from dwarves in their LOS, and they'll spend all eternity doing this, but if they ever get close enough to a dwarf before seeing it, it'll trigger their "Oh shit! Cornered!" reaction and they'll attack whatever has them "cornered."

Since they're so goddamn insistent on walking right through your fort to get outside, they will repeatedly charge headlong into your dwarves and get in a fight. The two best ways to avoid this are to 1) never have any open path to between the caverns and the surface and 2) make many paths between the caverns and surface, like 1x staircases off towards the edges of the map, that are forbidden to your dwarves and far enough away that your dwarves usually wouldn't try to use them.

The problem with option one is that you'll often have want to access the caverns and not have the time or resources to secure a portion of them for your use. The problem with two is that ANYTHING can use those staircases, including goblin siegers and forgotten beasts, which means that you effectively have to defend everything equally well against any threats, which takes as much preparation or more as option one requires.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

The strange thing is is that this never happened to me before, usually when i get to caves the Trogs just attack at random,unorganized, so its either the games clever mechanics or something else that united them against me. Very fun to watch it play out however, I really wished that I documented it.
Huh, I always seem to get organized resistance from the inhabitants. Except last time, where a Random Forgotten beast showed up and cleared the caverns for me, before dying from wounds inflicted by the last few amphibian men.

Still had a skirmish with troglodyte forces, quite a few if I recall correctly. They did not win, but they injured many a recruit, and one or 2 veterans.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »

I equipped all able bodied male dwarves

Why only the male dwarves? 0.o

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »

Part 2?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »

I equipped all able bodied male dwarves

Why only the male dwarves? 0.o

In keeping with war being a traditionally men-only aspect of culture.  Plus I'll bet alot of the female dorfs had babies on them and he didn't need tantrums from kids dying.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:27:43 am »

He will get one from the casualties already :D

Which is an interesting point: How many dwarfs died actually and how many are wounded as a result of this war?

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »

Quite a few died, mostly miners and other civilians, but I lost a whole 10 squad from ambushes from Trogs and other cave nasties. I know I lost at least 20 dwarves, but I also havent been playing this for as long as some other people, I could have simply sealed the cave but eh...I wanted to experience some real combat, because I recently got the hand of the military system.

And im not sure what I would do for a part 2, I pretty much ended the war, im sure more Trogs will come by but for now that cave is blocked off. However I did get 2 forgotten beasts charge up the mineshaft, both pretty weak ones, A fly and a Lizard of some sort.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 03:58:05 pm »

I don't suppose you could edit that WoT and add in some paragraph breaks? It's a bit too much for me to read on this monitor as it stands.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

Is there a way I can do that without making a new thread?

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »

i can still modify my post up there, i think you can modify yours as well. "Modify" Button in the right upper corner on the Post.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »

Alright I changed it up a bit, hope it helps.
Pages: [1] 2