Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335912 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1410 on: August 27, 2012, 07:49:56 pm »

It is a semi-democratic Hobbesian Oligarchy, With periodic elections but other then that no limits on Unitarian control.
What part of this do you not get? also, corruption? What would you use the money on?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 27, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »

It is a semi-democratic Hobbesian Oligarchy, With periodic elections but other then that no limits on Unitarian control.
What part of this do you not get? also, corruption? What would you use the money on?

I am only a junior in high school with main focus being in math and science, so I do not know anything about Hobbes's governmental ideals.

And you are forgetting that corruption is not just monetary.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:44:04 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 27, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »

I am only a junior in high school with main focus being in math and science, so I do not know anything about Hobbes's governmental ideals.
Hobbes was basically a theorist who elieved in the innate evil of man, and tha any government, no matter how peaceful, how uncorrupt, how democratic, would eventually be used as a instrument to gain power and wealth by unscrupulous individuals. Moreover, since man is inherently evil, No matter how peaceful he is brought up to be, he can and will commit crimes. He said that he believed all humans were "Short, Nasty, and brutish"

Thereby, the only way to create a equal soviety is to take power from these demons, lest they get hold of it and corrupt it. Essentially, a effort should be made to find the least corrupt indivdual and leave all power to him, so that, even if you disagree with him, you go along with him because you know by disagreeing, you create chaos, and in chaos, monsters thrive. The quote from the tvtropes page sums it up:
"This fight is my king's will. I cannot stop fighting just because I don't agree with him. If we don't pull together under our new king, Daein will fall apart again, just as it did before its liberation."
 — Micaiah, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

tl;dr: Named after Thomas Hobbes, who wrote in the 17th-century book Leviathan that strong, centralized government is necessary to protect mankind from its own base nature and self-serving desires. Calvin and hobbes was named after him.

This is relevant to the fact that your anti-corruption methods will strip power from the Central Governemnt.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

Pff, inherently evil. My actions are of no evil nature, only varying flavors of good.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »

Pff, inherently evil. My actions are of no evil nature, only varying flavors of good.
I'm not talking about you, DZA, I'm refering to the ones your ruling. *ahem* Brainfreez *ahem*

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:16 pm »

Wait, I just thought of something. This thread is discrimating evidence against us should the terrans decide to screw us over before we can even launch. They see this thread, they will stop us or shoot us to smithereens since they would think we are insane sociopathic loonies with intention to destroy humanity. *cough* I blame Brainfreez *cough*

We must leave no witnesses, meaning when we are ready to launch, we gotta get this thread dead and kill off any other Bay12ers that may warn humanity. For safety.

Not sure if that trope fits what I am suggesting.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 27, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »

This is clearly the more correct one

So, DZA, I must ask, at what point will we start preparing for our imminent trip to canada?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 28, 2012, 01:18:27 am »

As soon as we are certain of everything we'll need, of course. Like I said before, once we have all that sorted out, it's only a matter of obtaining it.

If we've already got an estimate what kind of people and resources we'll need figured out, and we have a good idea of where in Canada we'll be headed to, then I suggest someone compile a list of everything we may be missing, so that we can begin working through it posthaste.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 28, 2012, 02:26:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To: Zanzethuken the great
Subject: RE:police dept.
Expect full support from M.A.D.P.L.A.N.S. for officers in the field / any other matters I can help with.
Remember that my offer is still open indefinitely in case you change your mind.

-------------end message-------------

As far as I could see, this thread is a boon and a bane.
A boon because it could be something to preserve, history to show our future citizens.
In the short term, however, it's a bane for the reasons voiced by Corai.
We could destroy the threads, print off a few pages each, take them to our colony, then put them together and recreate the thread in full for future generations to gaze upon.
Also: astronaut training. Does anyone know how to fly a spaceship? Spacewalk? Put on a spacesuit?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:42:12 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:57 am »

well ... i can moonwalk ....

I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:11 am »

He said that he believed all humans were "Short, Nasty, and brutish"
Naah, he said that about man's life in his natural state, during the war of everyone against everyone.
What Hobbes basically says is that to keep the citizens - who are greedy, amoral, completely egoistic and not too bright either - at bay you need a strong government; what he really demands is the state monopoly on using physical force. This strong government can according to Hobbes only exist if all power is transferred to a single person who is not bound by any rules: the Leviathan, the "mortal god".
Interestingly Kant uses a similar argumentation in his state philosophy, but takes it to its logical conclusion: Since the Leviathan is no better than anyone else, he must not have absolute power. Therefore a system of checks and balances is needed, complete with democratic elections - a form of government that Kant calls "republic".
Hobbes by the way knew as well that the Leviathan would start abusing his power; however he thought that an abusive tyrant was better than no government at all.

Hooray for Kant! Hooray for the state monopoly oin violence!

(Also why is ETHICAL not in the OP?)
(Also I suggest combining the military and police and closely linking them to the secret police and the intelligence agency so that we will be able to efficiently abuse our governmental power)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:54:23 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 28, 2012, 07:22:01 am »

i am self appointed leader of
Intelligence Corporation of Ethics , Confidential and Original Lunar Data (I.C.E C.O.L.D) .

we will store bad stuff like this thread in unhackable and internetless super computers in our main base wich will be guarded by 1000 soldiers and agents .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:20 am »

well ... i can moonwalk ....

That is relevant or helpful ...how?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 28, 2012, 07:28:56 am »

this will help us to regain respect , when we will be moonwalking on moon surface with our jumpsuits .

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 28, 2012, 07:36:22 am »

this will help us to regain respect , when we will be moonwalking on moon surface with our jumpsuits .
Who are you and what have you done with brainfreez?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 192