Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is multigrasp better?  (Read 4909 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Is multigrasp better?
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:18 am »

Before heading out this morning, I ran a little experiment via the arena.  I took 200 humans and gave them toad leather down the board.  I then gave 50 an iron Lsword and 50 a 2h iron sword.

In another section I gave 50 Lsworders a wooden shield, keeping the 2h-ers the same...

The 2h-ers won.  Even moreso with the shielded group.  I have yet to pop metal armour, but Is multigrasp better offensively?  What about overall?

I did a quick forum search but saw no obvious threads on this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Is multigrasp better?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:35 am »

ptw

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:59 am »

Multigrasp is a little better offensively, they are usually more powerful weapons.  But they are much worse defensively.  Multigrasp removes your ability to block dragonfire completely(which is a major disadvantage vs dragons), and makes it much easier for archers to hit you, as well as making you slightly more vulnerable in melee as well.  If you pit 50 sword and boarders and 50 two handers vs 50 archers, or a few dragons(especially dragons), the sword and boarders will probably have fewer casualties or last longer.

It's pretty much a style for folks who believe offense is the best defense.  But against firebreathers or archers, you might want to try to get your friends companions meatshields to go in first.  In my own experience, a dragon breathing fire (not even necessarily at you) when you have no shield is almost certain death.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:55:35 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:03 am »

Two Handed Weapons also have other advantages as well. Besides the extra damage you inflict, you can also move into a wrestling move with a free hand as well.

Just note that Greiger is quite correct in that you lose out defensively against ranged typed attacks, and in Melee, you might want a shield to guard against more dangerous attacks as well - Whips for example.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »

I tested iron armour, same conditions(includ. w/w/out shield.)

unless the shield/armour is of inferior quality Lswords undeniably win.

bah, I suppose spears would prove the same.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »

Statistically speaking vanilla multigrasp weapons are better than singlegrasp since they all hit a bit harder.

Practically it depends on the enemy and fighting arena.
Like Greiger said singlegrasp + shield units will obviously survive longer against ranged units and dragons than multigrasp units.

It's a "Glass cannons vs tanks with peashooters and rubber chickens" discussion.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:17 pm »

I believe the term you're looking for is Glass Cannon versus Stone Wall.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

Multigrasp is better if the weapon requires it.  Otherwise, I don't think there's any advantage to multigrasping a one-handed weapon.

Also, you can multigrasp slabs and beat people with them.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:25:56 pm »

I believe the term you're looking for is Glass Cannon versus Stone Wall.

I thought it was an accurate comparison.

Longswords kill, Haleberds sever upper and lower bodies in one swing.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »

What abour pwnalties?  If I wanted to be a halbred/shield kinda guy?

I do like spears AND not death...

Edit:  Halbreds are not spears.  They level axe skill...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:34:12 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

Why this isn't necessarily an answer to the question:
I've noticed that if you get say, a dagger stuck into an enemie, and you go into wrestling and grab the dagger with your spare hand, assuming you have one, the dagger is listed as being held in both your right, and left hands (not technically a multigrasp, but could it act like one?), and the attacks for said dagger appear twice in the attack aiming menu.
Does this affect the daggers power, or does it just take away ones ability to wrestle with the previously free hand until the dagger is released?
My !!Science!! has revealed nothing substantial, perhaps if someone wants to test this?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:02:14 pm »

That is almost certainly a bug.  There were quite a few longstanding bugs related to grabbing stuckins in the past.  Wouldn't suprise me if that was one that lived the purge.  I would think if it was intentional the game would intelligently switch it to multigrasp. And that extra attack option showing up seems to reinforce it.   

Last I checked though it was impossible to multigrasp one handed weapons.  So maybe there was some code in there to grant that possibility, and still gives the bonus, but has some miner ascetic bugs related to it.  So I wouldn't be opposed to someone trying some science.

What abour pwnalties?  If I wanted to be a halbred/shield kinda guy?

I do like spears AND not death...

Edit:  Halbreds are not spears.  They level axe skill...

Last 'word of god' on the matter was that if your size is less than a weapons [TWO_HANDED:] tag (or the weapons [TWO_HANDED:] tag = 0, but that bit no longer seems functional) using the weapon with less than 2 free grasps reduced all damage by 1/2.   This was pre-materiel rewrite, but experience seems to indicate that is more or less still the case with recent versions.  Probably replacing 'damage' with striking force.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:05:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

weedeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »

I've been wondering this myself. Awhile back I played a pikeman human multigrasp, and found that the piercing effect was more or less the same as a singlegrasp spear. There were some instances of severing hands and feet with stabs, but otherwise fairly the same damage output while sacrificing what I see to be a huge advantage. In the current version, dragons and archers are THE most deadly enemies. Using a shield in combat negates most attacks, and is a great skill for attribute boosting. Granted, using a better multigrasp like the greataxe or 2-handed sword makes a bigger difference than pike/spear, but in my experience, you can still get mortal wounds easily with singlegrasps.

Yeah overall I'd have to say that singlegrasps w/ shield is better, but even if you want to multigrasp, carry a decent shield to pull out in situations that call for it. Might as well equip it to train while you're boosting dodging and armor anyway

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:22 am »

Arena says single with shield is better, by a long shot. Armorless, it was closer, but with armor, the dwarves trained up cause the fight took a while, which made shield more valuable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zaqew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 03:05:14 am »

Maybe make a large 2h sword (like the ones in final fantasy) and wear very dragonfire-proof gloves to hold the handle while being seared by a dragon.
Pages: [1] 2