Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Magma Smelter Behavior  (Read 833 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Odd Magma Smelter Behavior
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:23:35 am »

Alright, so I have my magma forges and smelters set up above a volcano (yay!) and every time I designate a magma smelter to be built, dwarves rush in and pile up bins full of metal bars, ores, and other miscellaneous stuff from the nearby stockpiles. It all ends up next to the opening in the floor to ensure the smelter has power, and has to be moved before the smelter can be placed.

Is this a bug, or just dwarves being dwarves?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Magma Smelter Behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:02:59 am »

What you're running into is the bug where when a dwarf deconstructs something, the raw material plus all other loose items in the 16x16 tile area are placed into a square beside the thing that you deconstructed.

My guess is that you are deconstructing a floor in order to open up access to the magma.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:46 am »

Ah ok, that explains it then. Kinda funny that the dwarves all pile crap up next to the deconstructed tile. Haven't seen that behavior before.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

When exactly - under which conditions - does this bug happen? Has it been reported yet?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:00:25 pm »

Any construction that is removed, wall, grate, floor etc.  It's an unfortunate side effect of fixing another bug whereby deconstruction or channeling could have the material fall on the dorf, to very !fun! effect.

The bug is reported, and is said to be fixed for the next release.  There is a binary patch out there to work around it, but, like any other binary patch, use at your own risk.  In the meanwhile, plan your work accordingly.

Incidentally, the items aren't being moved by dorfs to the location, but magically teleported by the game engine to the square the dorf is standing on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »

Incidentally, the items aren't being moved by dorfs to the location, but magically teleported by the game engine to the square the dorf is standing on.
It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Seriously, a better way of hauling than minecarts!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.