Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well, that was unpleasant.... (Masterwork DF)  (Read 8294 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well, that was unpleasant.... (Masterwork DF)
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:43:11 am »

In my continuing failure to successfully mod, I decided to check out a mod pack.  I went with Masterwork, because it seems to have a lot of interesting features. 

So I finally get a fort up and running, and things are going smooth during the first spring.  Then I get this weird combat report about a dwarf finding some carp idol and smashing it under his foot.  WTF?  Weird, but it added a bit of flavor, and there were a few more strange messages like that.  I started to ignore them, as they were becoming a distraction.  The first year went by without much incident, the migration waves only added 3 dwarves each though, so the fort was somewhat short on labor.  Finally spring comes around again, and I've got most of the basics running smoothly when a very unpleasant event occurred.

One of my crafters spontaneously turned into some kind of fish creature and immediately turned on my other dorfs.  Oh crap.  I quickly drafted the dwarves into a makeshift militia, but unfortunately, I hadn't discovered the iron deposits DFHack said was on the map.  So this fish thing ended up being pretty hideously strong, and it made short work of the dwarves in the fort, ripping off arms and kicking in skulls.  I just sat there watching this fiasco unfold, gritting my teeth, and waiting for the fort to crumble.  I figured I'd get a reclaim going with some weapons and armor, and send a small party of dwarves armed with axes and spears and some armored war dogs against this thing.  But it didn't finish off the expedition leader, the final survivor of the 13 dwarves I had.  No, instead it spent about 40 pages or so of combat smacking the dorf in the head with a silk shoe.  And then I lucked out, the spring migration wave came.

Instead of examining their skills, I just quickly drafted every last one of them into my army and hurled 20 some dorfs at this thing hoping they could overcome it with sheer numbers.  I told three of them to pick up and use the axe and picks I had as weapons, because fists and feet weren't doing much.  Anyway, the dwarf who was told to use the axe grabbed it and ran down to the pantry where there was a big brawl going on with the fish shit.  Then she swung the axe at the fish and chopped its head off.  I don't know exactly how many of the migrants got killed because I haven't checked the unit list.  But of the starting 7, plus the first two waves, one got transformed, 11 were killed, and the expedition leader survived, though he or she lost a hand.  On the bright side, the leader has some medical skills.

Rigth now, I'm doing some emergency cleanup.  I wasn't going to examine these migrants in detail, and I needed new dwarves in every profession I had set up.  I checked them with splinterz DT clone and assigned two new miners, two new builders (masons/mechanics/engravers), and a pair of doctors to care for the injured.  I assigned a new farmer so the crops that were growing won't rot on me (I hope) and a carpenter to make the bucket, splints and crutches that I'm going to need.  I'm going to need to set up some basic industries and one the miner get the graves I need dug out, I'm going to look to see just where the hell that iron is hiding at.  There's several unhappy dwarves though, so we'll need to pull through the next few weeks without hitting a nasty tantrum spiral.  The husband of the dwarf that killed this thing got moody just as the crisis ended, but luckily he just made a rock earring with some wood stuck on it, so that should at least cheer him up.  And the elves have arrived to trade as well.  Worse, I think whatever caused this is still going to trouble me, so I'm going to have to hunt whatever it is down and exterminate it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:46:06 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that was unpleasant.... (Masterwork DF)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:37 am »

That was weird. Are you sure this is related to Masterwork, though? Granted, this could be some weird lycanthropy modification. Lulz @ deadly werefish.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:13:23 am »

Almost positive.  I'm pretty sure this is one of the "Secret !FUN!" things Meph put in the mod, and it looks like it was inpsired by the Cthulhu mythos, but with a strong DF flavor, as in carp rather than Deep Ones.

Fortressdeath

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:02:35 am »

Well obviously he defiled the temple of some carp god. Just like in legends mode. However this is the first time I hear of a dwarf actually getting turned by defiling something in fortress mode. May be part of the mod...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:24 am »

Fucking carp cult. In the future if you ever see a weird combat report for a dwarf in masterwork you bury that fucker alive and you leave him buried.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:10 am »

Fucking carp cult. In the future if you ever see a weird combat report for a dwarf in masterwork you bury that fucker alive and you leave him buried.
Actually, if you see the dwarf crushing the carp idol or finding a dead fish, that means that there is a cultmaster in the fort activating something that lets them do the finding an idol reaction. The dwarf doing the crushing is not the cultmaster. The cultmaster is one of your dwarves, and he will seem innocent until he is stopped by a ward.. Eventually, he will recruit others into the cult. You can find him by building a particular ward.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »

Secret masterwork carp cult, you need priests of armok to counter them.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:17:45 am »

Well, I managed to clean up a bit from the fish fuck.  Got the graves dug out, and the dorfs buried.  Counting the ones that later succumbed to their injuries, we lost 18 dwarves to this damn thing.  There's about 10 dwarves laying in the crude hospital I have set up, but things should be fine unless some don't recover from their injuries, I've got buckets, cloth, some soap and a traction bench for treating them. 

Fortressdeath

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:21:37 am »

Well, guess what?

ITS NOT OVER. You still have the carp cult leader in your fort. He will keep recruiting for dwarves to become carp beasts. And if you attempt to root him out, what do you get? Every single cultist turns at once.

Unless the carp thing killed him, but you still get more from migration waves.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:36 am »

Masterwork is quickly becoming more and more popular on the DF forums. Im loving it; it really is superior in nearly every way to Vanilla DF.

I once had a dwarf who was painting pentagrams in blood everywhere, only for him to later transform into a massive demon. Unfortunatly, a part of this transformation was a massive firey explosion.
In the middle of my dining room.
Carved out of Coal.
With 50 or so highly flammable dwarves.
And directly adjacent to the workshops.
Which were also carved out of coal.
Which were right next to the food stockpile.
Which held all the booze.

Coldbridges was anything but Cold that day.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:19 am »

Masterwork is quickly becoming more and more popular on the DF forums. Im loving it; it really is superior in nearly every way to Vanilla DF.

I once had a dwarf who was painting pentagrams in blood everywhere, only for him to later transform into a massive demon. Unfortunatly, a part of this transformation was a massive firey explosion.
In the middle of my dining room.
Carved out of Coal.
With 50 or so highly flammable dwarves.
And directly adjacent to the workshops.
Which were also carved out of coal.
Which were right next to the food stockpile.
Which held all the booze.

Coldbridges was anything but Cold that day.

UHHHH, SHIIIIII*****

"Runs of to his fortress, drafts the woodworker who was painting pentagrams into the military and hurls him at the elves standing at the gates"

Dealt with.

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:41:03 am »

So is this vanilla or masterwork? It's been a while I haven't played vanilla, with the necros and vampires and all.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 09:02:52 am »

So a demon dwarf created Silent Hill?  Sounds legit.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:45 am »

So is this vanilla or masterwork? It's been a while I haven't played vanilla, with the necros and vampires and all.

Masterwork. Im using it only right now. Its the same thing with every game: I start playing with mods and the normal game suddenly seems boring. Guess i have to deal with it :D

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:40:15 am »

Holy shit, I never payed much attention to Masterwork, but I think I might give it a shot.
EDIT-Gotta put a rain check on that, I don't feel like redownloading and then uninstalling winrar. Why do people put up RAR files when zip is so much simpler?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:43:17 am by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: [1] 2