Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The future of adventure mode  (Read 3000 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
The future of adventure mode
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

Do you think adventure mode will eventually develop into something of a more controlable environment, where you can design quests, cities, books and NPCs?

Even if not every aspect of a world (like tiles one by one :P ), people could make a join effort to design a world for example like Morrowind, but because of the more simple engine, much easier, and it could be more immersive (it already is) than todays "casual" games.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The future of adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »

Thats whats happening right now.

Misread, I am stupid.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:33:37 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »

I don't think you can make a specifically designed world, with towns, NPC, quests (that does involve more compley things than killing, or bringing back stolen stuff) etc. Only if you go into the game and try with the values, but that could mess your world up really.

Or did I miss something in the current stage of adventuring?

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

Its still only in alpha, and adventure mode is really quite new to the game in the first place.

At least we get more world interactions soon

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:21 pm »

But what do you suspect? I just wanted your personal opinions, to share with me. Not like suggestions to the actual game but visions. Or like something: "I like to play" "I like to design games" (not in a programmer sense, but sandbox for example)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:02:06 am »

So, to understand, you want to direct world generation and world propagation during play?

Or do you want to use, DF as a psedo engine to run your own created goals and your own created NPCs?

The answer to both of those, I think is a no. I dont think that's ever been an inferred or explicitly stated possibility.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:43:57 am »

Presumably once adventure mode gets on the same level as fortress mode players will have more liberty and controls over the raws than now much in the same way fortress mode modding has been opening up for us.
Perhaps one day we will be able to create our own type of fetch/kill quests, set our own parameters for faction conficts and wars, town stores and so on once things get gradualy developed, just look at the neverending list of features to be added.

But that may take forever for all we know, I might have kids and a nice home with a white picket fence before version 1.00.00 is released, maybe I'll teach my kids the ways of Dwarf Fortress and pass down the waiting for new game version from generation to generation as a family thing.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:31 am »

The thing for that is, is that will probably require a scripting capability. And ToadyOne doesnt feel to confident about adding one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:36:12 am »

Toady said something like this in an interview once. He and ThreeToe want to make it possible to design your own world and place the characters of your favorite fantasy story in there, with all the character traits and relationships and everything. And then you can let the game run and see what happens.
I'm pretty sure that won't happen for at least a decade or so, maybe not even before version 1.0.

Unfortunately, I can't link you to the interview because I forgot which one it was. I remember that it was an audio interview, but I guess that doesn't help much.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:40 am »

Toady said something like this in an interview once. He and ThreeToe want to make it possible to design your own world and place the characters of your favorite fantasy story in there, with all the character traits and relationships and everything. And then you can let the game run and see what happens.
I'm pretty sure that won't happen for at least a decade or so, maybe not even before version 1.0.

Unfortunately, I can't link you to the interview because I forgot which one it was. I remember that it was an audio interview, but I guess that doesn't help much.

A decade???

I hope this game don't have the destiny of the Universal (http://www.theuniversal.net/), great game, but very slow development (I don't blame them, it is mostly made by one man).

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 07:18:43 pm »

Its still only in alpha, and adventure mode is really quite new to the game in the first place.

At least we get more world interactions soon
Adventure mode is new?
If by 'new' you mean 'has been around for a few years', yeah, but it's no recent development.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:31:06 am »

Wasnt the original meaning for DF to first design a dungeon to adventure in (fortress mode) and then adventure in it?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:46 am »

Wasnt the original meaning for DF to first design a dungeon to adventure in (fortress mode) and then adventure in it?
And then Dwarf Fortress became Dwarf Fortress :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:32:17 am »

And then Dwarf Fortress became Dwarf Fortress :P

But in that way, your fortress doesn't really intereact with the world. Sure it gets interacted with, what with sieges and trading and such, but it doesn't really make an impact on the world beyond historical figures moving in and being killed, FBs/(semi)megabeasts attacking.

With adventure mode you could quite feasibly kill everything in the world.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »

Yes, and the next version of DF will make it so that killing isn't the only thing you can do.
Pages: [1] 2